Hewes Redfisher Fuel Tanks and Bilge Outlet Rigging

coopaloopa

Hey MBG Fam, would love some input on a couple questions I have regarding my 2008 Hewes Redfisher 16. 

1. I started noticing a faint gas smell in the hatches (front, anchor, rigging) after the boat sit for a while and was starting to worry about a fuel tank issue. I have not found any sitting liquid fuel and no signs of leaks in the bilge or on top of the tank. I was actually impressed how clean the fuel sender connection looked. What suprised me the most, is that my boat has a plastic 30 gallon fuel tank. I know for a fact, another member on here JakeK (who just sold his boat!) had a metal tank in his same year model hull. Does anyone here have a close to 2008 model hull with a plastic tank and is it safe to assume the faint smell is from normal permeation of the plastic tank? 

2. My boat is squatty and seems like the 2008 models squat more than others. My scuppers let water in when the boat is at rest and I am getting water backflow through my Bilge outlet with someone fishing on the back or plowing through a no wake zone. I have a hard time believing the plumbing was rigged without a riser loop of some sort but it certaintly seems that way. I have no way of getting to the hose without cutting an access hatch in the rigging compartment, but before I do I was curious if anyone else had this issue with there redfisher? I am worried that the water line comes up so close to the deck, that even if I cut a hole and install a riser loop, it may still take water in when heavy. Should I just install a check valve and be done with it or should I confirm there is a riser loop and assume that will fix my problem?