Looking to buy MA 18.5

Potential first time owner.  What do you guys think?  Should I pull the trigger?  Not a big fan of the SeaDek as I know I will be getting the boat nasty with a cast net.  I've been eyeing a MA for quite some time and I found this one on FB marketplace.  It's a 1995 18.5' it has a Yamaha 115 4 stroke has under 500 hrs.  Just been rewired according to seller.  Seller is a woman in the Orlando area.  I need some serious guidance.  

7DE08631-8B72-44AD-BE05-4020DC1E60A6.png

9A0CBB9A-63D8-45CE-B2D6-7F42FF8484BD.png

9C7DCD06-928F-43DB-9825-A6E4D72F0AFF.png

291AF1D8-0404-48FA-BB9C-CCEAA95FB99A.png

Trailer is for a much smaller boat and is not supporting the transom, just the thin bottom. Not the best for stringers on rough roads / Railroad tracks.. 

If you are new to boating, you need to have a knowledgeable person look the boat over.. 

Just being honest with you.. 

MM

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Moderator said:

Trailer is for a much smaller boat and is not supporting the transom, just the thin bottom. Not the best for stringers on rough roads / Railroad tracks.. 

If you are new to boating, you need to have a knowledgeable person look the boat over.. 

Just being honest with you.. 

MM

Yes sir I am a newbie.  Thanks for the insight.  I appreciate your honesty.  

What is the back story....you said being sold by a "woman"...is the wife, widow, etc.

get some eyes on it....1995?  Has the fuel tank been replaced ?  I have a 1995 MA17 and the tank was just about to go....if the tank has not been replaced, you are looking at $6-7k to replace it if you do your own de-rigging and rigging of the wiring.

Trailer - yes, no way - 

Engine - 500 hours?  Get more information and records of repairs...at 500 hours on a 115, it's time for some serious valve jobs on the head - $500-600

Sea-deck can be used to hide a few things on the deck...so, be careful.

What's the price being asked?

DC

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

What is the back story....you said being sold by a "woman"...is the wife, widow, etc.

get some eyes on it....1995?  Has the fuel tank been replaced ?  I have a 1995 MA17 and the tank was just about to go....if the tank has not been replaced, you are looking at $6-7k to replace it if you do your own de-rigging and rigging of the wiring.

Trailer - yes, no way - 

Engine - 500 hours?  Get more information and records of repairs...at 500 hours on a 115, it's time for some serious valve jobs on the head - $500-600

Sea-deck can be used to hide a few things on the deck...so, be careful.

What's the price being asked?

DC

Woman posted for husband. Haven't talked to him yet.  Asking 18K but within a week they dropped to 16.5K.  My guess is they are trying to move it fast.  

3 hours ago, SnookSlayer239 said:

Woman posted for husband. Haven't talked to him yet.  Asking 18K but within a week they dropped to 16.5K.  My guess is they are trying to move it fast.  

Unless you are a DIY'r you could be in for some serious $$$...again, get info on the fuel tank....

A decent trailer will run you $3500-4500...what they are showing is useless for long runs.

how old are the trolling motor batteries....looks like an older model Minnkotta....it has a value of maybe $350, max...a new one will run you $1500 plus batteries ($400) and install - $300.

New wiring, get some pics of the inside of the console to see what was done....do they have an receipts from who did the wiring or was it DIY which could be a diaster...meaning, if someone wired the boat without experience, you could have any number of electrical issues down the road.

Snook - not trying to bust your opportunity...but, go in eyes open....many here have made alot of mistakes...just passing on the $ earned.

Best Case - fuel tank replaced and good wiring and TM works ok, batteries not more than one year old or so.....with that you are looking at $16.5 plus $4.5 (trailer) and figure at least another $1K in engine stuff and you are in for $21K or so...not too bad....before you do anything, my recommendation, have a marine surveyor do an overview if you think it might be something you want to go with it will be the best $300 or so for the survey you could spend...you'll need to have the surveyor run a compression check on the engine and review any repair logs.

Last recommendation....if you say, ok, it's for me....do a sea trial in a lake....run the skiff for at least 15-20 to check for any over-heating or fuel issues.....and, last but not least, like the gambler says, "got to know when to fold'm" and walk away from the table....I passed on 3-4 Master Anglers before I found my MA17....I paid $11K and have been upgrading her for 2 years....see my post in the General Forum on the "Holy Ghost".....lots of fun for me...I like playing with the skiff's and restoring them...I had a 17 Pathfinder skinny mini - 1998...I upgraded her and then sold her...to buy the "Ghost".

DC

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Unless you are a DIY'r you could be in for some serious $$$...again, get info on the fuel tank....

A decent trailer will run you $3500-4500...what they are showing is useless for long runs.

how old are the trolling motor batteries....looks like an older model Minnkotta....it has a value of maybe $350, max...a new one will run you $1500 plus batteries ($400) and install - $300.

New wiring, get some pics of the inside of the console to see what was done....do they have an receipts from who did the wiring or was it DIY which could be a diaster...meaning, if someone wired the boat without experience, you could have any number of electrical issues down the road.

Snook - not trying to bust your opportunity...but, go in eyes open....many here have made alot of mistakes...just passing on the $ earned.

Best Case - fuel tank replaced and good wiring and TM works ok, batteries not more than one year old or so.....with that you are looking at $16.5 plus $4.5 (trailer) and figure at least another $1K in engine stuff and you are in for $21K or so...not too bad....before you do anything, my recommendation, have a marine surveyor do an overview if you think it might be something you want to go with it will be the best $300 or so for the survey you could spend...you'll need to have the surveyor run a compression check on the engine and review any repair logs.

Last recommendation....if you say, ok, it's for me....do a sea trial in a lake....run the skiff for at least 15-20 to check for any over-heating or fuel issues.....and, last but not least, like the gambler says, "got to know when to fold'm" and walk away from the table....I passed on 3-4 Master Anglers before I found my MA17....I paid $11K and have been upgrading her for 2 years....see my post in the General Forum on the "Holy Ghost".....lots of fun for me...I like playing with the skiff's and restoring them...I had a 17 Pathfinder skinny mini - 1998...I upgraded her and then sold her...to buy the "Ghost".

DC

Thanks DC!  I will cover all these bases.  You've been more than helpful! 

Well I talked to the guy and I'm so glad that you all helped me.  The tank was the original and there were some spots that were soft hence the SeaDek.   He ended up selling it to someone who has more money than I wanted to give him for a high dollar project.   Thanks to you all my search continues.  

16 hours ago, SnookSlayer239 said:

Well I talked to the guy and I'm so glad that you all helped me.  The tank was the original and there were some spots that were soft hence the SeaDek.   He ended up selling it to someone who has more money than I wanted to give him for a high dollar project.   Thanks to you all my search continues.  

Lots of us here have all learned the hard way :(

Bring on any more questions.....there are enough of us here that have owned multiple skiffs and are happy to help.

Bottom line, no matter what boat you buy, always figure another $3-5K in stuff that will go wrong or you will want to make your own.

Have fun...the quest for a new skiff is all part of the adventure.

dc

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well here it is October and I'm still looking.  Found an 02 on here but it's all the way in the panhandle and I'm down here in SWFL.  I contacted the owner thru FB today and he answered a lot of preliminary questions that I had.  I want to go take a look at it but im down here in SWFL and he's up in the panhandle.  One question I have for your guys is that it is overpowered by 25-50hp according to Maverick specs for that year. The 02 is rated 150 max hp and the 03 is rated at 175 max hp.

Could I find myself in a pickle with an outboard that isn't rated for an MA 18.5? 

11 hours ago, fin-addict said:

What is the exact hp. Different hp used the same block. Some were not good upgrades. Wt. of motor is also a factor, May squat at the stern. Insurance, good chance not getting it with over rated hp. Do homework before handing the cash over. Good luck with your search and welcome to the family. 😀👍️Fin

Thanks fin-addict.  I've always wanted to a part of something great.  Here's my chance.  😁  The exact hp is 200 on a 2002 MA18.5 that is max rated for a 150 hp.  Owner states that silt is insured as of now but he's up in the Panhandle and I would be fishing it down in the 10K Islands and Everglades National Park.  Different zip codes different insurance prices/requisites.  

11 hours ago, greenbone said:

Where in the panhandle is it located?  I own a ‘93 MA18.5 and if its close enough, I’ll be glad to put eyes on it. 

I live in Carrabelle fl , just east of Apalach .

FYI, I had a 175-2stroke at first until I repowered with 150-4stroke, dang was it fast!

call me 850-510-0828

11 hours ago, greenbone said:

Where in the panhandle is it located?  I own a ‘93 MA18.5 and if its close enough, I’ll be glad to put eyes on it. 

I live in Carrabelle fl , just east of Apalach .

FYI, I had a 175-2stroke at first until I repowered with 150-4stroke, dang was it fast!

call me 850-510-0828

It's located in Freeport.  About 2-3 hours away from you.  It's a 200 VMAX 2-stroke with 550 hrs on it.  

18 hours ago, SnookSlayer239 said:

Thanks fin-addict.  I've always wanted to a part of something great.  Here's my chance.  😁  The exact hp is 200 on a 2002 MA18.5 that is max rated for a 150 hp.  Owner states that silt is insured as of now but he's up in the Panhandle and I would be fishing it down in the 10K Islands and Everglades National Park.  Different zip codes different insurance prices/requisites.  

😐

Thats a lot of extra horsies on that boat and that’s not the same block as any 150 I am aware of.  I would definitely want to check the trans one for spider cracks and give the entire hull a very thorough inspection.  That boat was run hard and fast by someone and it was built to be light.  

Not saying don’t buy it, but definitely saying buyer beware and go in skeptical.   Expect to see issues, don’t look to see if any are there.  It may be perfect, but that’s a lot of extra speed, jolting, and banging.   Also get someone to take pics of it at rest in the water with a guy on the stern.   Even mine can get pretty low in the stern when the livewell is full and I have no jack plate, power pole or other extra weight back there (2S 150 Vmax). 

1 hour ago, whichwaysup said:

😐

Thats a lot of extra horsies on that boat and that’s not the same block as any 150 I am aware of.  I would definitely want to check the trans one for spider cracks and give the entire hull a very thorough inspection.  That boat was run hard and fast by someone and it was built to be light.  

Not saying don’t buy it, but definitely saying buyer beware and go in skeptical.   Expect to see issues, don’t look to see if any are there.  It may be perfect, but that’s a lot of extra speed, jolting, and banging.   Also get someone to take pics of it at rest in the water with a guy on the stern.   Even mine can get pretty low in the stern when the livewell is full and I have no jack plate, power pole or other extra weight back there (2S 150 Vmax). 

I completely agree with what your saying. Getting eyes on it is the tricky part though because I'm down in SWFL

and the boat is in the Panhandle.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SnookSlayer239 said:

I completely agree with what your saying. Getting eyes on it is the tricky part though because I'm down in SWFL

and the boat is in the Panhandle.  

Hey - I'm always happy to chat about MAs, so feel free to PM me and I can share with you what little I know!   I'm enjoying watching your journey.   I know it's tough to have to search this long, but you are doing the right thing - the one right boat will pop up, but between then and now, a lot of wrong boats will too.   It's always been my experience that the longer the shopping takes, the happier the purchase ends up being in the long run!