Security Cameras for Traveling with Boat

rubble

With as much theft going on everywhere, is there some way to turn your tow vehicle into a spot to house a remote camera that will notify you of motion and record motion?  Something like a Ring camera mounted inside your vehicle that covers your boat?  I guess s fancy trail cam might work but I’m more familiar with how ring works around the house and that would be a great tool to have in your vehicle if you are traveling and in a hotel or VRBO with your boat/trailer in tow.  Hearing too many stories about peoples boats getting cleaned out overnight while somewhere for a fishing tournament.  

I would like to know if anyone has come up with a tow vehicle security camera setup too - that would be more budget friendly than this:

Inverter for power

Verizon cellular modem router for internet connection.  5G would carry hi-res video and pictures.

POE powered IP camera(s) with motion detect - sends an email alert along with attached still photos each time motion is detected in a predetermined zone, and records/saves video to a cloud account.

----------------------------

The bigger question is: Since you can't just shoot 'em when you catch them in the act of stealing your stuff, and the cops probably won't show up for at least an hour after you call them for help, how does it end?  Can we get justice anymore?  Where is Dirty Harry?  We need more like him!

I bought the BLINK system , made by amazon , for my house .

The base module needs wifi , which I can get , either from my fish camp , or my truck , or even my GPS has a wifi setting .

the camera is 2”x2” and i mount it to my poling platform forward leg .

It

shows my console and my troller .

Works real well  , and cheap .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

• Thanks 1

A friend at our condo has a camera in his kitchen window looking out to his cars. It records everything  at a great distance and night. It notifies him on his cell and the video is saved to play back. Also has one on back door to watch backyard and dock. Cost $100. For both. Thinking of doing the same. Think it was from Amazon. Works great, have seen it. Takes it with him when traveling and staying in hotels. I think it’s all through wi-fi. He can be away from home and still gets live feed.

• Thanks 1

If you want a camera system for when you are traveling it is going to need some sort of cell service/subscription because you may end up where there is no wifi available.  Remember, in order to have wifi you have to have a router with internet access that can broadcast the SSID signal that you camera or device will pick up.  You can turn your phone into a hotspot ie=wifi signal but it will use your cell data and if your plan is not unlimited then you can incur a cost.  The hunting cameras that are out there are a good source and I believe most of them come with a subscription base service that will allow you to record and see your property from anywhere.  If your wanting to have something for home then a device that has wifi built in will be sufficient as long as your signal is strong enough coming off your router.

• Thanks 1

Not sure on that route but there is flat out some high tech available to thwart boat tampering for sure. Not sure where you are located but I would say call Master Repair or Boattronics or any larger electronics rigger and they will offer some advice on systems they prefer. Hear good things about this companies reliability from an acquaintance running some of their components

https://gostglobal.com

The New Apple Tags would be great to hide in a boat somewhere if you are worried about the boat getting stolen.  I'm more interested in something alerting you to when the meth heads walk by and start snooping around the hatches.  They're just after the quick grab and may go as far as to try and pry open a hatch.  If you were able to get an alert or even trigger an alarm that would scare them off, that would probably be a good start.  

I have used a Spartan camera when staying in motels.  It won't pick up through glass so I slid my rear window open just enough so it picks up heat and motion.  Works pretty good sends a text message that takes about 1 1/2 minutes from the time it was triggered.  Just enough time for me to run out and get my butt kicked. :( 

• Like 1