Taking skiff offshore

SeaSerpent123

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 7:10 PM, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Were ya lost Dave? Usually don't here about you in those parts?

I ran my old Redfisher off shore all the time. I new a guy that would run to the shipping lanes in a 13 whaler. People thought he was a piece of floating debris and make a run for him. Just pick the days!

Did you go SeaSerpent?

Nope--fishing on The Cutting Edge!  Had my son in town for the weekend and we (and 4 others) chartered for the day.  Nice change of pace. 

On 5/10/2021 at 11:28 AM, SeaSerpent123 said:

I tried to upload a shot video but couldn't.  Hooked 3 reef donkeys and couldn't get them off the wreck.  Also caught a big cuda.  Fun times!

On a nice day, a day offshore can be fun....just be sure you ALWAYS HAVE TWO PEOPLE....and you are wearing a vest....a rough wave can hit you by surprise, even on a calm day, and if you standing fighting a dolphin or you are over a reef, you can easily be tossed as you have no gunnels to hold.

When I had my RF18, I used to go off Eliott Key and do a bit of yellow tailing on a calm day....

dc

On 5/14/2021 at 6:16 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

Love the wife commenting on the price of the $$$ of the jig....never let the Admiral know the price of fishing gear :)

Also, just curious, why didn't you have the trolling motor down on spot lock ?

dc

I tried it, current was ripping and the jig was being swepted WAY back. A couple other skiffs out there had the same issue so we all just made passes which worked the best.

Had another one on and tied pulling it off with the boat to no avail.  Not a single person caught one, we all lost fish after fish or broke rods.  Yes, I say another boat break his rod.