2009 Pathfinder 2200 XL with Mercury Verado 300R prop suggestion

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and to the pathfinder family. My boat is currently running a Mercury Thunderbolt 14.8 x 21p prop at top rpm of 5400 doing about 58-59. I'd like to get more out of this boat as the engine is capable of running between 5800-6400 RPM.

Which prop do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

• Like 1

I had to go look up the thunderbolt prop. I see it is comparable to the mercury mirage. I’m a little surprised the 300R is not turning the 21 pitch to max rpm. I have a 2200TRS. With SHO power. I do like mercury props. I find the info on bass boats seem to cross to bay boat pretty well. That being said I started my prop search by running a tempest plus. Those are great props and they are fast. I switched to the Bravo 1FS. And never looked back. The speed was about the same but the 4 blade prop just did it better in my opinion.  My boat has t top and I run 23 pitch 4 blade. 
 Also I find the Yamaha HS4 to be a very solid prop. Very comparable to the Bravo 1 but the blades are a bit thicker. 

18 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

I had to go look up the thunderbolt prop. I see it is comparable to the mercury mirage. I’m a little surprised the 300R is not turning the 21 pitch to max rpm. I have a 2200TRS. With SHO power. I do like mercury props. I find the info on bass boats seem to cross to bay boat pretty well. That being said I started my prop search by running a tempest plus. Those are great props and they are fast. I switched to the Bravo 1FS. And never looked back. The speed was about the same but the 4 blade prop just did it better in my opinion.  My boat has t top and I run 23 pitch 4 blade. 
 Also I find the Yamaha HS4 to be a very solid prop. Very comparable to the Bravo 1 but the blades are a bit thicker. 

I have to agree with HoneyB.  A 21 pitch on a 300r pushing a 2200 should get to max rpm pretty easy. My previous Yamaha 200 SHO would swing an HS4 21 5400 all day with a heavy load on my 2200. My current setup swings a well used Bravo 1 FS 23.5 to 6000 rpm and is square all the way   What condition is the Motor in ??   I can tell you what I have but It would not do you any good.  PM me if you want to know. 

Engine is 2012 a little over 500 hours everything including compression checks out good.

The prop also looks good and hub is not spinning so all good there. By all accounts it should be spinning higher than what is doing right now.

The only other props I have are in my 320 Outrage, but those are Mercury Revolution 4 17p. Maybe I'll give one of those a try and see what happens.

Any help is truly appreciated. 

Mercury is notorious for loosing a coil. They will run smooth but not make wide open throttle .. if you have checked that I would try to find a prop around 19 to 21 to run for data. If your engine is hitting on all cylinders and can’t quite turn the 21 I have a 19 mirage I would consider parting with.