Bilge Pump Setup

Hello, I have a 2009 24 Tournament and it came from the factory with only one bilge pump. I want to add a second one as a backup since I am planning to fish offshore more often and leave the boat in a slip for a couple of weeks. My mechanic said I have two options, either to lay entirely new hosing for the second pump, so I would have two exit holes on the side of the hull. Or I could use a Y adapter and have the outflow from the both pumps go through the same hole. Anyone have any recommendations or has done this before? 

Much appreciated.

19 minutes ago, Robdog103 said:

Hello, I have a 2009 24 Tournament and it came from the factory with only one bilge pump. I want to add a second one as a backup since I am planning to fish offshore more often and leave the boat in a slip for a couple of weeks. My mechanic said I have two options, either to lay entirely new hosing for the second pump, so I would have two exit holes on the side of the hull. Or I could use a Y adapter and have the outflow from the both pumps go through the same hole. Anyone have any recommendations or has done this before? 

Much appreciated.

I did there same.....

you really don't want to tie into the current bilge hose it can run back into the other bilge.

What I did on my PF22 was to run the exit hose out through the splash well.  In the event of the "2nd" bilge engaging, you will see it come on...it will run out the two scupper holes at the stern of the splash well.

You can put a anti-siphon valve in line if you have a concern about water running in from any overflow of the splash well...I placed mine at the top of the splash well.....

be sure to run it off a separate circuit.

DC