New vortex hub dust cap questions

East Coast Dave

I order two vortex hubs and from Ameratrail. Went to swap out and I’m having the hardest time with the dust cap that goes on the end of the hub. The caps are plastic and I couldn’t get them to go on straight? I tried so much I think I cross thread the heck out of the cap. So I took the whole hub off and  put the other one one trying the cap before and it seem to go on. Put it on the spindle, washer, washer with the tabs that fold over and the castle nut. Went to put the cap on.... same freaking problem. I know I’m doing something stupid that’s causing this. Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong?

• East Coast Dave changed the title to New vortex hub dust cap questions

I replaced spindles, brakes, and vortex hubs about a month ago. Two dust caps went on with ease the other two were a major pain, it took a lot of pressure and a little taping with a hammer as i turned, after cross threading one, spent quite a while with a file to straighten the threads

I had the same experience when changing mine to vortex hubs. Took a bit of pressure to keep them straight while starting them the first time. Sorry I can’t really give you a solid answer on how to make it easer. Just thought I would chime in to say it seems to be a common   Issue. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was greasing six of mine and found it takes a large wrench to get them off but if you put them back on more than hand tight they crack and will never get tight again.  I had to buy a set of two on Amazon for about 22 dollars.   They recently got bought by a different company so the name has changed