Skiff Challenge 2021 - No MBG entry

Limitless

2 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

I want to enter my old 2000 MA

Running a soft riding MA in the event would be like cheating, lol.  The skiff has to be 18 ft LOA or less, with 70 hp max.  It's a gruelling event that's difficult to find volunteers for.  All teams were beat-down and haggard by the end of the run, last time.

• Like 1

MBG said previously that they just don't have the time to focus on this challenge.  They run 24 hours a day building boats.  I mean they don't even have time for Merch! 

It could also reflect bad when stringers pop and floors crack crossing those wicked bays in a boat that is not designed to cross the bay. 

• Like 2

The challenge is a fund raising spectacle period and has nothing to do with one skiff being better than the other. If anything, the engine, other systems and human navigational decisions are the things that determine how well a skiff does. Other companies also make one off hulls for the race, so again has nothing to do with how well production skiffs match up.

2 hours ago, NCTribute said:

The challenge is a fund raising spectacle period and has nothing to do with one skiff being better than the other. If anything, the engine, other systems and human navigational decisions are the things that determine how well a skiff does. Other companies also make one off hulls for the race, so again has nothing to do with how well production skiffs match up.

But it does to consumers that follow skiffs and the competition closely

granted the boats being run did not likely come from a dealers stock. manufacturers will make a boat for special situations all the time. you can bet extra glass and reinforcement went into the boats being run. as such the manufacturer has to decide on the benefits of entering the race and loosing precious production time for the advertisement. 

the same applies to boats being made for dealer shows. more time goes into prep and finish for these boats than a production model.

the average consumer is unaware of these nuances and assumes the winning boat is just like the one they are going to buy tomorrow 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NCTribute said:

I agree in general but not entirely.  If the challenge was truly a pure fund raising spectacle, and nothing else, it would be more of an open invitational event with less expensive entry fees.  More "small business" manufacturers would enter the event, and get more of their fans to donate and support it.  It's kind of obvious, Hells Bay has a lot to say about which companies get invited, and how many.  Things like media coverage, live coverage, promotion of "The Cause", incentive to donate, and getting fans involved - are not managed as well as they could be.  Those important matters take a back seat, so that a large brand-name manufacturer can promote their product and/or say they won!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, geeviam said:

I agree in general but not entirely.  If the challenge was truly a pure fund raising spectacle, and nothing else, it would be more of an open invitational event with less expensive entry fees.  More "small business" manufacturers would enter the event, and get more of their fans to donate and support it.  It's kind of obvious, Hells Bay has a lot to say about which companies get invited, and how many.  Things like media coverage, live coverage, promotion of "The Cause", incentive to donate, and getting fans involved - are not managed as well as they could be.  Those important matters take a back seat, so that a large brand-name manufacturer can promote their product and/or say they won!

This race is all about who WINS. Customers of each brand boat only know one thing when it’s over. The WINNER.

the general public don’t have a clue of the fund raising or different manufacturers techniques to prepare their boat for the race. But....when it’s over, they can dang sure tell you who won. 

• Like 2

Captains for Clean Water

Take some time to learn about the sacrifices that Dan and Chris have made since 2016 when they quit guiding to help lead the fight for clean water.  The estuaries here in Florida have been devastated and they felt that if people became aware of the issues there would be more focus on fixing the problems that caused all of the damage.  They have helped tremendously to raise awareness and build political will amongst many of our elected officials.  They have spoken out about water quality and held elected officials accountable for appropriating money and making needed changes.  They have also worked tirelessly to unite the outdoor/boating/fishing industry here in Florida.  The Skiff Challenge is just one tool used to shine the spotlight on Florida’s water crisis by those who’ve been directly affected by it—boat manufacturers.  Hell's Bay has been a major supporter since the onset and HB and the other four manufacturers who participated this year understand that Florida’s economy rely on the health of the Everglades and waters on both coasts. I think over $100K was raised to support the cause.  If you have not donated to Captains for Clean Water or otherwise helped to support their efforts, I encourage you to do so.  

• Like 2

"the same applies to boats being made for dealer shows. more time goes into prep and finish for these boats than a production model"

How true. I remember back in '95 or '96 at the Maverick/Hewes Shallow Water Expo (may have the title wrong) the MBC folks had a dark green hull with cream colored top 16' Lappy Bonefisher made for Chris Evert and Andy Mill that was really nice, I mean really nice!! I remember the sales person went over all the extras the boat had and what really got me was he said every phillips head screw was pointing straight up North/South and East/West! Yep they were and I was impressed! Things you remember!

• Like 2