Contaminated water being released cockroach Bay Area ?

dabear

I see in the TB Times this morning it seems the problem is a bad wastewater plastic liner, that's been bad for a while, is leaking the contaminate. Looks like the worry is a major failure of the liner and it all escapes at one time. Now as geeviam says, "400 million gallons of toxic waste water being released into Tampa Bay will be a catastrophic event imo"....especially all at once.

If they knew the liners where bad why not get tanker trucks in to pump it out like mentioned in the video above?  Sounds like they just said 'it's not our problem, let someone else take care of it. We will pay the fine and go on about our business as usual.'

I'll bet if that stuff was being pumped into the phosphate owners pool in his backyard or maybe into his house for drinking water for his family to drink there might be a little more urgency for him to address it! 

8 minutes ago, lurem said:

If they knew the liners where bad why not get tanker trucks in to pump it out like mentioned in the video above?  Sounds like they just said 'it's not our problem, let someone else take care of it. We will pay the fine and go on about our business as usual.'

I'll bet if that stuff was being pumped into the phosphate owners pool in his backyard or maybe into his house for drinking water for his family to drink there might be a little more urgency for him to address it! 

I agree Dale . I am surprised that most of the members have not joined in by calling and e mailing our Florida politicians that seem to be ok with this disaster.   

A couple links to posts on MS.  The aerial photos from 2018, when the Tampa Bay area suffered the worst Red Tide algae blooms in decades, will make you sick:

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/the-state-of-florida-authorizes-to-contaminate-tampa-bay-waters.89301/post-869788

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/red-tide-and-algae-blooms-in-sw-florida.54050/post-458622

Hummmm.......the plant has been closed down for around 20+ years and the gobberment is just now doing something?? Never let a catastrophe go to waste! Should have properly (magic word there) been taken care of many yeas ago, way before it became an emergency!! 

OK....I'm off my high horse!!  

Nutrient loading has been an issue in the Bay for years and causes fish kills without having a red tide.

This event has happened twice before as lesser levels. The other spills did get a accompanying red tide but also caused a green algae bloom that created lethal low oxygen events. Then, the turbidity issues that come from sea grass destruction and the vicious cycle begins.

Dirty water leads to reduced sunlight and reduced sea grass growth and the cycle continues for years. It will be slow to occur but all of the gains we have made in sea grass coverage in Tampa bay will be lost.

You have to have healthy sea grass to have a health estuary.

This is gonna hurt for a long time.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/3/2021 at 1:39 PM, lurem said:

GREAT point Dale!

See my post in General section about taking action on LOSOM.  I encourage everyone to join Captains for Clean Water, Friends of the Everglades, CCA, Bonefish and Tarpon Trust, the Angler Action Foundation (formerly Snook and Gamefish Foundation) and/or other conservation- minded organizations who are leading the charge.