Best friend

DavidG

David, 

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of Hunter. Thank you so very much for sharing. Life has been far from normal since Buddy passed. And your right. Give them the most love you have to give. They are a big part of your life but you are their entire life. My boy will forever missed. 😢fin

• Like 1

Lost my best friend last June, woke up one morning and he wasn't in bed.  Found him out back throwing up and very sick.  Rushed him to the vets and they had to revive him 2 times the third time didn't work.  Said he had a tumor on his spline that ruptured.  We did almost everything together miss him everyday.  

September picked up Tucker from the Humane society and what a joy he is.  The most affectionate dog I have ever had.  Not to crazy about going on the boat, scared to death of piers have to carry him.       

P1040428.JPG

KIMG1478.JPG

• Like 2

On 4/3/2021 at 10:02 AM, Capt. Troy said:

Both of you don't do what I did. I feel for you guys.

I went a long while without another one. 'They can't be replaced but a dog lover like me going without another is a waste of time.

Capt Troy, I can never replace Hunter as he was one of a kind. As I love Dogs more then people, I put a deposit on another Golden pup in North Carolina that hasn’t even been born yet. He will be ready end of July, 1st part of August. He will never replace Hunter as he will bring his own personality with him. I’m looking for a new fishing buddy! 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2021 at 10:08 AM, mdemott said:

Had a Scottie that had much the same thing. Dr. drained the mass and removed it and he lived another six months. Glad for everyday he was with us. Too much cancer in dogs these days. Wonder if diet is the root cause.

Mdemott, What most people don’t realize is that dog food is not regulated by the FDA or any agency. Purina had a major undercover investigation that ended up on TV which was extremely unbelievable. I urge everyone who owns a 4 legged family member to research what their actually feeding them. Ask your vet what they would recommend!......David

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/10/2021 at 9:09 AM, DavidG said:

Mdemott, What most people don’t realize is that dog food is not regulated by the FDA or any agency. Purina had a major undercover investigation that ended up on TV which was extremely unbelievable. I urge everyone who owns a 4 legged family member to research what their actually feeding them. Ask your vet what they would recommend!......David

Thats not accurate, States regulate animal feed/food as does FDA. 

FLDT, that must have been recently enacted since all the lawsuits and the undercover work done by 20/20. My wife and I lost both our dogs one a Boston Terrier and a Golden retriever both with in 3 days. I’m not allowed by law to mention the brand due to the insurance settlement made by Sedgwick of 1500.00 dollars which was donated to the Humane Society in their names. That was in 2014. He did send tissue/organ/blood for a toxicology report and the only abnormal finding was increased red dye and traces of a by product of ethyl glycogen which is also found in antifreeze. Nothing else was found. The toxicology center is in the University of Iowa if my memory is correct and the main donator for grants ironically came from the company that makes the food. I’m glad it is now regulated! Regardless there will never be a product of theirs in my house. I appreciate you letting me know…..David

2 hours ago, FLDXT said:

The FDA’s regulation of pet food is guided by (should be guided by) federal law. Federal laws the FDA is charged with enforcing include the Food Drug and Cosmetic Act, the Food Drug and Cosmetic Amendments Act, the Food Safety Modernization Act. However, FDA does not enforce all laws they are required to enforce with pet food/animal feed; through FDA policy the agency allows pet food to violate some federal laws. (Pasted from the web)…David

9 minutes ago, dcathey said:

This is my guy, Cap, he’s the greatest dog we have ever had. I’m not sure what I’ll do when he can’t go tripletailing with me. Sorry for yalls loss, they are truly family.

F29D5D59-AD64-43AE-B36E-045B0C1C4CF8.jpeg

DCathy, I’ve had 3 Goldens in the past 20 years including Buddy who just turned 4 months old and ALL puppy still!  They are truly a special breed without a mean bone in their body!

My ole gal “ Charley” is 10 now and slowing down some with age, but if she sees the boat getting ready, she is standing by the truck door to get in. She loves to ride , bark at pelicans, bark at fish as you reel them in, she just loves to be in the boat.  She doesn’t mind the rain and has never complained about it being too windy or rough. 

F2AA0555-CF6D-4615-B03D-9CF1E6BD9D07.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DavidG said:
6 hours ago, FLDXT said:

The FDA’s regulation of pet food is guided by (should be guided by) federal law. Federal laws the FDA is charged with enforcing include the Food Drug and Cosmetic Act, the Food Drug and Cosmetic Amendments Act, the Food Safety Modernization Act. However, FDA does not enforce all laws they are required to enforce with pet food/animal feed; through FDA policy the agency allows pet food to violate some federal laws. (Pasted from the web)…David

Expand  

FSMA has an animal food component, enforced by FDA on products in interstate commerce. FDA literally has an Office of Human and Animal Foods. States have responsibility in products not in interstate and some that are. Not really sure what that snipit is from or what it means.

FLDXT, Beautiful fishing Buddy! Unfortunately the dog food war will continue until the end of my time. And probably longer. No matter how much research is done. As a major Dog lover, I always want to do what’s best for our family member. Which unfortunately raises  the price of Dog food. I wish I had all the correct information. Organic vs non Organic $$$$$. I’m not trying to start a debate, I promise you that as most of my dogs have been fed table scraps lol. After losing Hunter who was just over 8 years old, I dived into information. All retrievers, poodles, have high percentage of Hip and elbow dysplasia, eye and cardiac issues. None of mine suffered any of this. The majority died due to cancer related issues. Hunter laid on the surgical table with his beautiful brown eyes as I looked into his. I said where’s your “ happy tail” and the 10# tail started wagging. He was gone in less then 30 seconds. Buddy has large paws to fill but will be my last dog as I don’t want to outlive any other Dog. I know my “ kids” will put them in the pound and I won’t allow it. Any information that I get will be passed to the forum!  Last bit of advice I can give is to take as many pictures of him/ her as you can! Those memories will be irreplaceable as times go by. I wished I had with Hunter!…..David

2 hours ago, FLDXT said:

FSMA has an animal food component, enforced by FDA on products in interstate commerce. FDA literally has an Office of Human and Animal Foods. States have responsibility in products not in interstate and some that are. Not really sure what that snipit is from or what it means.

What it means is if there is a supplement such as calcium or any other drug which is regulated then it might be inspected. The undercover film showed carcasses laying out in the sun, such as cattle, chickens etc..etc.. which are then put in a big vat and liquidfied  and then with additional chemicals formed into dog food.

13 hours ago, DavidG said:

What it means is if there is a supplement such as calcium or any other drug which is regulated then it might be inspected. The undercover film showed carcasses laying out in the sun, such as cattle, chickens etc..etc.. which are then put in a big vat and liquidfied  and then with additional chemicals formed into dog food.

Always going to be bad actors our there, but the pt of my response is the fact that the animal food industry is not regulated by anyone is absolutely false. Always a good idea to read the label, understand what it says and how it's saying it. Organic is a great way to separate you from your money with no higher level of safety. Good luck with your new pup.