99 Path, deck drain options

tha5150

Terrible solution, the previous owner put in drain plugs on either side of the deck, drains out but right at waterline so unable to leave open. What options do I have to fix this with a scupper type solution? Something I do not need to worry if I get water in the boat, just drains out. Or wash down system that I want to get, I can not do it with the current setup. 

15 hours ago, tha5150 said:

Terrible solution, the previous owner put in drain plugs on either side of the deck, drains out but right at waterline so unable to leave open. What options do I have to fix this with a scupper type solution? Something I do not need to worry if I get water in the boat, just drains out. Or wash down system that I want to get, I can not do it with the current setup. 

I have to plug my drain holes on my 2001. It’s just the way it was designed. I’m not crazy about it, but I deal with it. My 98 Hewes had the same type and location of drains.

• Like 1

My 2001 PF2400 had those side hull drains....if two grown men were in back and both livewells full, water would be an inch deep ....once you move forward it drains out.... I did the same as HewesYour Daddy and put plugs in them in winter. I didn’t worry about it in the summer. 

My newer 2009 PF2200XL does not have any issue. 

Would drilling out the sides for a proper scupper be an option? a threw hull fitting, with scupper. or any other suggestions? if they were terrible, i would only assume that in 22 years, someone has fixed this problem. one side of mine is a plug, the other is a plug with pvc around it and thats "the side it goes on" cause it just fits. ***, terrible. want it done right. 

5 hours ago, tha5150 said:

Would drilling out the sides for a proper scupper be an option? a threw hull fitting, with scupper. or any other suggestions? if they were terrible, i would only assume that in 22 years, someone has fixed this problem. one side of mine is a plug, the other is a plug with pvc around it and thats "the side it goes on" cause it just fits. ***, terrible. want it done right. 

9B22B4F1-60D3-45B3-A970-B867AB81F2DF.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks guys. what's even worse is how i have to store the boat in my yard is on a block so my bow is up high enough for me to wash it at the house. on the water is the same situation as everyone else. i guess it is what it is like your saying.. i need to figure out what size each side is and just get new plugs.. these are crap thats currently in place and like i mentioned before, there are two different sizes on each side. one plug is pushed into a short PVC pipe and the other is just the plug. very odd

a long time ago there was a  post on the subject with a fix along this order.

on the outside of the boat you  install a  flapper style fitting to slow the ingres of water but allow it to flow out. Then you place a large clam shell over the fitting with the point facing the bow and base towards the stern. basically it is sideways.  this will create a venturri effect and help pull the water  out while on plane.

this will not eliminate water  intrusion but help slow it down. 

5 hours ago, tha5150 said:

Thanks guys. what's even worse is how i have to store the boat in my yard is on a block so my bow is up high enough for me to wash it at the house. on the water is the same situation as everyone else. i guess it is what it is like your saying.. i need to figure out what size each side is and just get new plugs.. these are crap thats currently in place and like i mentioned before, there are two different sizes on each side. one plug is pushed into a short PVC pipe and the other is just the plug. very odd

Do you have a picture of your drain holes? It almost sounds like yours were modified but the way you are describing them.

3 pictures here.. seems pretty stock to me though the issue may be that the previous owner didn't have the right size drain plug and found a pvc that fits and a smaller plug to make up the difference on one side. i do not have a picture of these, really doesn't matter. what i need to do from here is either measure the holes and hope they are the same size, get new plugs and be done. no washdown options, only drain out on plane. this ***! or find another way to resolve this issue. 

side note, yes i know i need to remove the bottom paint and it is driving me absolutely nuts. ive had it for a month and taking it out every chance i get so i haven't quite hit the "i can do without it for a few weeks" mark yet haha. i plan on sanding and repainting vs paying $1500 to strip and redo it all professionally. would rather spend the $100 right now and get it looking 1/2 way decent and deal with it later. also the stains in the back havent came out from all the pollen in the other photo.. suggestions?

63674788571__CCC310F6-E231-4EFF-8F05-EF1CCC7371E2.jpg

63674789474__5B7433E3-8F20-4DE8-A773-AD672DD81104.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

I have a ‘99.  Side drains.  If I’m fishing alone or with another similarly weighted angler I don’t need the plugs. If the boat is unoccupied, I don’t need plugs either. 

If I do have water because of a loaded cooler , extra anglers, livewell, I use the plugs. 

The clamshells would interfere with the length of the duckbills in my opinion...

On 3/31/2021 at 10:55 AM, tha5150 said:

3 pictures here.. seems pretty stock to me though the issue may be that the previous owner didn't have the right size drain plug and found a pvc that fits and a smaller plug to make up the difference on one side. i do not have a picture of these, really doesn't matter. what i need to do from here is either measure the holes and hope they are the same size, get new plugs and be done. no washdown options, only drain out on plane. this ***! or find another way to resolve this issue. 

side note, yes i know i need to remove the bottom paint and it is driving me absolutely nuts. ive had it for a month and taking it out every chance i get so i haven't quite hit the "i can do without it for a few weeks" mark yet haha. i plan on sanding and repainting vs paying $1500 to strip and redo it all professionally. would rather spend the $100 right now and get it looking 1/2 way decent and deal with it later. also the stains in the back havent came out from all the pollen in the other photo.. suggestions?

63674788571__CCC310F6-E231-4EFF-8F05-EF1CCC7371E2.jpg

63674789474__5B7433E3-8F20-4DE8-A773-AD672DD81104.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

That's the way the boat came from the factory. Mine is set up the same way. You're limited in options. The best option is to use plugs all of the time until you need to actually pull the plugs to drain any water inside the boat. I keep mine plugged at all times unless I'm leaving the boat in the water overnight.