Prop Recommendations

jjharrity

Hi All, I recently purchased a 2000 Hewes Bayfisher with a rebuilt Yamaha 90 2 stroke.  Love it so far overall, wondering what prop you guys with similar setups run and why you like it.  Efficiency, speed, everyone has their reasons.  I currently have a 4 blade that came with it, but noticed some cavitation last night while making turns.  Wondering if I should go down to a 3 blade.  

• jjharrity changed the title to Prop Recommendations

I’m in the same boat (almost literally). I have a 16 Redfisher  I think it’s a 2000 year model as well. It’s either 2000 or 2002. My boat came with a power tech 4 blade I think about 17 pitch. It would slip in a tight turn unless it was tucked all the way down. I lowered the motor all the way down on the transom and quickly decided I did not like that. Picked it back up one hole and threw on a three blade stiletto or something I had around here. My boat did not like that at all. I borrowed a 17 pitch mercury spitfire and it held better than the previous 4 blade but that was just a little too much prop for the 90 Hp two stroke. I found a 15 pitch spitfire a few weeks ago but have not had time to run it yet. I’m pretty sure it will be the best prop thus far. Also thinking the little bobs machine shop stabilizer plate will be my next thing to try to hold some water over the prop in turns. 
 The little boat is a beast in a chop. I swear this little boat just seems very solid. 
 My boat is about a 42 mph boat at wot. I do not think there is much more left in the 90 regardless of the prop. 

And a pic!

766D928C-1938-4E0E-999D-E1C7FD617F65.jpeg

• Like 1

Save some money and buy the less expensive 3-blade Michigan Wheel Apollo XHS 13.25 x 17p, part # 993144.  You'll also need the XHS II Hub Kit # 208 (or a Mercury Flo-torq hub kit if you already have one).

It's a great CAD designed prop, with progressive pitch, good cupping, extra rake, and vent ports for quicker hole shot.  It resembles the Yamaha Pro Series.  If it needed a little more grip in turns, more cup could easily be added at a prop shop.  But I don't think it would be necessary.  Here's some pics of the 17 pitch:

IMG_0475b.jpg

IMG_0477b.jpg

IMG_0492b.jpg

IMG_0494b.jpg

IMG_0504b.jpg

1 hour ago, lurem said:

I had a 98 Bayfisher 16 with a 90 HP and I ran a 15 pitch stilletto prop, it was a great all around prop. You will love that boat model once you get it dialed in!

Dale, is the 2000 Bayfisher that the OP has, the same lappy hull as your '98?  If so, the OP may want to go with the same pitch as you had.  My recommendation was based on the pitch that HoneyB went with on the Redfisher 16, with 2-stroke 90.  Thanks.

Edit:  However, If I remember correctly, Stiletto props are known to have more pitch than labeled.

Edited by geeviam
Revised

I am not 100% sure but I think the 2000 model has my hull running surface but is smooth sided. Honeyb ran my 17 spitfire and ended up getting a 15 because the 17 was a hair to tall for him. Once Honeyb runs the 15 spitfire he can give us a report. That may be the golden ticket!

• Thanks 2

On 3/26/2021 at 5:23 PM, HoneyB said:

The little boat is a beast in a chop. I swear this little boat just seems very solid. 
 My boat is about a 42 mph boat at wot. I do not think there is much more left in the 90 regardless of the prop. 

You've got a great looking Redfisher there HB.  It's setup nice!  42 mph top-end is awesome!  The 2S 90 is a great motor for that rig.  The Maverick MA always seems to get top honors for ride, but I know what you mean - my RF 16 was a beast in a chop as well.

6 minutes ago, geeviam said:

You've got a great looking Redfisher there HB.  It's setup nice!  42 mph top-end is awesome!  The 2S 90 is a great motor for that rig.  The Maverick MA always seems to get top honors for ride, but I know what you mean - my RF 16 was a beast in a chop as well.

I have been in small skiffs and even  larger boats where you hear the water under the hull. That little Redfisher just seems heavy .. she a thick girl and I like her 😎

• Like 1

Now, if price was not as important, and I had a Redfisher 16 or Bayfisher 16 with a Yamaha 90 - this rare find would already be in my shopping cart:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-YAMAHA-Propeller-13-1-2-x-17-PART-62A-45976-00/114644996067?epid=1527468381&hash=item1ab15fcfe3:g:dpQAAOSwRrhgCztR

After adding this to my Watchlist, the seller made an offer (expires in 3 days) to drop the price to $550.

Heck, maybe Powertech should buy this new Yamaha Pro Series K-17, and use their Scanalyzer to reverse-engineer it for their PRO3 line!