Yamaha F115 Trim leaking fluid

Alrighty folks, hope someone can help me figure this one out... 2008 Yamaha F115 with 600 hours. The trim / tilt has been leaking a lot the past six months. I could see fluid/ oil leaking from the two rams on the tilt. I replaced the seals on the two trim rams and figured it was all good now. I've used the boat a few more times and it is still leaking, but not from the rams. A few days ago I taped paper towels to the trim, the tilt and at the base of the tilt motor to see where it could be leaking from. All four of those paper towels are dry, yet there is fluid / oil drips on the bottom of the whole motor bracket (see photos). Where could it be coming from? The trim motor looks like a major pain to remove. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Thanks!

IMG_7580.jpg

IMG_7558.jpg

2 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Long shot, but have you checked the cylinder caps?  Mine was leaking like a seive, but my pistons were dry.  Turned out my caps werent screwed down fully!

Yep, they are cranked down. If oil was leaking from them it also would have shown up on the paper towels.

• Like 1

I had an o ring leaking between the manifold that holds the motor and the main body of the T&T. It showed at the bottom like that. My T&T is a SHOWA. Not sure your F115 has the same style.

On 3/9/2021 at 5:51 PM, jh141 said:

I had an o ring leaking between the manifold that holds the motor and the main body of the T&T. It showed at the bottom like that. My T&T is a SHOWA. Not sure your F115 has the same style.

Thanks! Last night I found an old thread on the Hull Truth referencing something very similar. I'm going to try to pull the motor and see if that's the issue. Getting the motor out is the trick.

1 hour ago, knotthereelworld said:

Thanks! Last night I found an old thread on the Hull Truth referencing something very similar. I'm going to try to pull the motor and see if that's the issue. Getting the motor out is the trick.

Ok so I looked at some info and it says the F115 uses the SHOWA T&T. If that is true It will say SHOWA right on the unit. If it does I would Trim the motor up, support it so it does not fall and cut off any body parts, disconnect the blue and green wires from the relay on the power head, pull the pin from the main center tilt ram, remove one of the bolts from the bottom of the main body pin and remove the bottom pin and remove the entire T&T unit from the outboard. That will gave you access to see where it is really leaking. I use jumper cables from my truck to run the unit while it is clamped in my bench vise.

I bought a kit from Five Star Marine with all the seals and o rings. These SHOWA units are known for blowing out the top o ring between the motor manifold and the main body as you probably saw from the thread. The real trick is bleeding the unit after you find and fix the leak. 

• Like 1

Yep, tiny little orings between motor and body. it was pretty obvious when I took mine apart that one or more of them were blown out and distorted. I was able to replace them without completely removing the unit, too lazy too chase the power leads into the power head and disconnect them.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 2:32 PM, jh141 said:

Ok so I looked at some info and it says the F115 uses the SHOWA T&T. If that is true It will say SHOWA right on the unit. If it does I would Trim the motor up, support it so it does not fall and cut off any body parts, disconnect the blue and green wires from the relay on the power head, pull the pin from the main center tilt ram, remove one of the bolts from the bottom of the main body pin and remove the bottom pin and remove the entire T&T unit from the outboard. That will gave you access to see where it is really leaking. I use jumper cables from my truck to run the unit while it is clamped in my bench vise.

I bought a kit from Five Star Marine with all the seals and o rings. These SHOWA units are known for blowing out the top o ring between the motor manifold and the main body as you probably saw from the thread. The real trick is bleeding the unit after you find and fix the leak. 

Great, thank you very much. Have run into a few more pressing issues on the boat and need to rectify those first. I'll get to this at some point.