Boat Restoration Thread: Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost

Wanaflatsfish

• Wanaflatsfish changed the title to Update: MARCH13 - TANK UNDER CONSTRUCTION...Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost

TANK UNDER CONSTRUCTION BY AIM WELDING....

IMG_0780.thumb.JPG.a7f5369fdf620ba05ec1acb7e006f53e.JPG

I WENT OVER TO CHECK THE HEIGHTS TO DETERMINE THE SIZE OF THE TOP TANK TABS FOR SECURING THE TANK INTO THE SIDES FOTHE GUNNELS....WE ARE GOING TO INSTALL A 1" TAB...LOOKS LIKE THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM...AS WELL, A FINAL CHECK ON THE WIDTH IN THE FORWARD AND REAR COMPARTMENT

THE NEW TANK IS NOW 40 GALLONS - WHOOOOOORAAAAH :)

tank-1-2.thumb.jpg.edf55607c5e9667af25f68599744a796.jpg

tank-1-3.thumb.jpg.b3f161c011da45fb92b7ad28978e93ac.jpg

tank-1-5.thumb.jpg.00c4084ec9f074994d60331487545a11.jpg

tank-1-6.thumb.jpg.4f2c404813a2ddb5ec1fb05fae18cc7b.jpg

tank-1-4.thumb.jpg.7e5264769a1ff35130080558e11479b2.jpg

• Like 1

• Wanaflatsfish changed the title to Update: MARCH 19 TANK IS FITTED AND OTHER ACTIVITIES......Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost

KEITH the tank maker from  AIM Welding with the new 40 gal vs. 27 gallon previous....we added 2" to the sides and 5 inches to the rear.

IMG_9657.thumb.jpg.2bae5d7dac83074c4e0dd9fcca6f8344.jpg

Perfect fit !!!

IMG_9694.thumb.jpg.f91e1129149c5e5254c3953e34abac6b.jpg

John the glass expert cutting out the floor to make the fit....

IMG_9686.thumb.jpg.cd6dbecdec2ee573b8c18783aa1281d4.jpg

Work on the rod holders...we are making them equal and faired in with glass and gelcoat...they will be beautiful....work in progress....far from being complete.

IMG_9665.thumb.jpg.b859810e75c8cccbe12d9faf2137e670.jpg

IMG_9664.thumb.jpg.3c8b2285a7d38a9aa2658710c25c80eb.jpg

We ran into a problem today...if you look at the hole here just below the electrical cord...we notice some wet area..we dug it out and found some water under the deck in the foam.....she's 27 years old......we believe we found the solution...more to come tomorrow....

SPECIAL THANKS TO RALPH, SCOTT, AND KEITH AT AIM WELDING FOR GREAT WORK AT A GOOD PRICE !!!

DC

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

KEITH the tank maker from  AIM Welding with the new 40 gal vs. 27 gallon previous....we added 2" to the sides and 5 inches to the rear.

IMG_9657.thumb.jpg.2bae5d7dac83074c4e0dd9fcca6f8344.jpg

Perfect fit !!!

IMG_9694.thumb.jpg.f91e1129149c5e5254c3953e34abac6b.jpg

John the glass expert cutting out the floor to make the fit....

IMG_9686.thumb.jpg.cd6dbecdec2ee573b8c18783aa1281d4.jpg

Work on the rod holders...we are making them equal and faired in with glass and gelcoat...they will be beautiful....work in progress....far from being complete.

IMG_9665.thumb.jpg.b859810e75c8cccbe12d9faf2137e670.jpg

IMG_9664.thumb.jpg.3c8b2285a7d38a9aa2658710c25c80eb.jpg

We ran into a problem today...if you look at the hole here just below the electrical cord...we notice some wet area..we dug it out and found some water under the deck in the foam.....she's 27 years old......we believe we found the solution...more to come tomorrow....

SPECIAL THANKS TO RALPH, SCOTT, AND KEITH AT AIM WELDING FOR GREAT WORK AT A GOOD PRICE !!!

DC

Bottom right of screen dark spot? Whats the solution for that? No matter what, water gets trapped along the stringers it seems. Only thing you could “possibly” do is fan with fresh air when not in use. And who knows if that would dry it out all the way. 

4 hours ago, Shallowminded6 said:

Bottom right of screen dark spot? Whats the solution for that? No matter what, water gets trapped along the stringers it seems. Only thing you could “possibly” do is fan with fresh air when not in use. And who knows if that would dry it out all the way. 

The water under the floor of the tank is due to the fact that when the skiff was manufactured, the factory pushed the foam through a hole under the tank floor and never closed it....the tank sat on top of the 3 holes and this is the pathway from where the water runs from the two forward compartments to the bilge.....very poor workmanship....could have all been avoided by a 4x4 inch piece of glass...as well, when we looked at the tank, this was the ONLY three spots where the there was the beginning of electrolysis....essentially, the tank was on top of the holes which were open, the water drained under the tank and then entered the holes and made it's way to the keel.  The foam was soaked, but, mostly at the bottom and was in good shape.....

Here are more pics of the work today.....

We had to cut out the floor, take out the foam which had about 3 gallons of water under it on the keel.

IMG_9710.thumb.jpg.fd28eb29848885bf41e19e6bdd64698b.jpg

IMG_9708.thumb.jpg.12015a59dc9e260159d9e3c98cdca523.jpg

this is towards the stern....

it was soaked with water as well at the hull level...

IMG_9715.thumb.jpg.2540fc4603487bea3430a9cf23401d6d.jpg

I ran the vacuum for about 15 min...there was no more water on the forward part of the tank floor

DO YOU SEE THE HOLE IN THE FLOOR...THIS IS WHERE THE WATER WAS DRAINING INTO THE KEEL UNDER THE TANK DECK.

IMG_9719.thumb.jpg.dd9158172e3c4c8634e9a67f29d79f57.jpg

A chunk of the floor...I will say, it's built like a tank !!!   you can see how thick the floor for the tank is and the deck floor

IMG_9718.thumb.jpg.c8e87d857f36e7c45397cda551abee95.jpg

The floor being prepared for re-installtion....we are going to place supports under the floor where the batteries will sit...

there is about 1" between the string and the floor where it will be placed...I'm placing AGM series 31's for the trolling motor and moving the Interstate series 27 to the console.

IMG_9716.thumb.jpg.7a33eadd7f350f117238c0f89ade807b.jpg

Water and foam pieces which were sucked up.

63795484485__954CC7F3-5F4C-40A0-AA46-C6B5796B5E77.thumb.jpg.9a54b0bf967508e6e1a85aafe7afe1f7.jpg

A good bit of foam....

More to come next week......

• Like 4

• Wanaflatsfish changed the title to Update: MARCH 20TH WET FOAM UNDER THE TANK DECK - NOT GOOD- BUT, NOT AS BAD AS WE THOUGHT IT COULD BE......Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost

Wow. Great pics and info. This is very interesting. I had no idea there was foam down there at the bottom of the V. I’m no naval architect for sure, but I honestly don’t understand why there. Seems like a bad idea to have foam at that low point with water intended to channel / flow above. I’ve inspected where water runs in mine from the anchor locker, under the battery tray opening in the bow locker, then passes under a small bulkhead, then passes under the tank and into the bilge. I’m still trying to picture in my mind how that channel is constructed. I wonder if this a unique design to MA 17’s or if it carries over. Man I’d really like to see some sort of build drawings on these things. (Not that I could even understand what I was looking at, but it would be nice to try.) I suppose every hull design has unique build characteristics. Thanks for sharing this info. Will be very interested to see how this discovery plays out. Best of luck with the project.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CRD Dawg said:

I’m still trying to picture in my mind how that channel is constructed.

There is "no channel"....it just runs under the tank.

The original tank had tabs on the front and in the stern area on the lower side.

We placed the tabs on the top at the end of the tank and just before it reaches the bulk head.

SEE THE PHOTO WITH KEITH OF AIM AND HOW HE CONSTRUCTED THEM.....

IMG_9657.thumb.jpg.d75a75bb156909eb424bb94a869dac00.jpg

After the floor goes in, we'll insure the tank has space under it to allow water to drain out....we are epoxying the tank with a coating and then we will attache it to the stringers at the tabs and foam in the sides.

WHEN THEY ARE PLACED ON THE FLOOR, THEY WILL BE DRILLED AND SHIMMED INTO PLACE.

SEE THE PHOTO BELOW...LOOK CLOSELY FOR THE TABS....IMG_9694.thumb.jpg.75d2f3d7c85c589c94f0bc46361bf48c.jpg

More to come next week....

First, we are going to lay some glass to reinforce the cross memebers, lay new foam in the trough, and place the floor back in place..then we'll place the tank.....we will be reinforcing the floor with cross members and then the final work begins.

1.) finish the rod holders

2.) roll the floor with non-skid

3.) Shoo the gunnels with new gelcoat and the rod holders.

4.) fix the holes in the rear seats and various gelcoat nicks etc.

I suspect two more weeks and she'll be back home for rigging which I'll do myself with Capt DonH.

Should be on the water for May 1st....

DC

1 hour ago, Shallowminded6 said:

If foam goes back in, how do you prevent it from getting saturated again? 

I am sorry i was not clear enough.....look at the picture here...there was a 1" open hole directly to the foam....this was the reason it was soaked...the water from the anchor locker and front hatch drains directly down the inside of the stringers under the tank.   if MHP had put a piece of glass over the hole, this would not have happened.

the cut out by the rod holder is what we did to check what was going on under the floor...but, the hole was the reason we thought there was a problem....we stuck a piece of rag into the hole and it came up saturated.

IMG_9664.thumb.jpg.06c2eae4b6fa5857f8ef5cbf52558972.jpg

IMG_9738.thumb.jpg.de91e30fcf838f27017cca765ad6160b.jpg

here is the middle hole....

it's the one we cut out to check.

IMG_9614.thumb.jpg.0f00189839c9e4a7fb115f405ee6bd8d.jpg

18 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I am sorry i was not clear enough.....look at the picture here...there was a 1" open hole directly to the foam....this was the reason it was soaked...the water from the anchor locker and front hatch drains directly down the inside of the stringers under the tank.   if MHP had put a piece of glass over the hole, this would not have happened.

the cut out by the rod holder is what we did to check what was going on under the floor...but, the hole was the reason we thought there was a problem....we stuck a piece of rag into the hole and it came up saturated.

IMG_9664.thumb.jpg.06c2eae4b6fa5857f8ef5cbf52558972.jpg

IMG_9738.thumb.jpg.de91e30fcf838f27017cca765ad6160b.jpg

here is the middle hole....

it's the one we cut out to check.

IMG_9614.thumb.jpg.0f00189839c9e4a7fb115f405ee6bd8d.jpg

Makes sense I misread it some. So if you close the hole on the top that water got in and soaked the foam, the water that comes in the anchor locker etc wont be enough to get to the new foam or is it sealed with glass? Trying to figure if there is something I can do on mine(tho different hull) to prevent water log to some degree. 

correct me if I  am  wrong  but my understanding is that the  foam is in the bottom of the V from the base of the port and starboard stringer.  when glassed over if it creates a smooth flow of water from the bow to stern I  would replace it and seal it well. It is acting as a light weight filler and that is about all. If not necessary for water flow I would  leave it out.  It may attenuate some noise but probably not  noticeable. 

• Like 1

Great thread DC!  Even though you are adding some weight to the boat with the increased fuel capacity, it looks like you've removed quite a bit of extra weight in all the water-logged foam you found.  Just my opinion, but if it was my decision at this point, I would not put any foam back in the boat below the waterline - sealed or not.  There are more ways for water to find its way to the lowest point in a hull.  It can even permeate the outer gel coat/glass/cloth lamination itself, depending on how porous the layup is.  All gel coat is porous to some degree.

Great info for sure. That is definitely interesting that it may have been the very hole through which the foam was apparently sprayed, that was not properly closed up and caused the issue. Hopefully once it is sealed though, water should pass over it. The way that new tank appears to be fitted into that space leaving a cleaner passage below looks pretty sweet. Better than it came from the factory for sure. Now you’ll have peace of mind knowing how things are constructed below deck, and that these issues were corrected. 

7 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

Make sure you change every hose you can get to.

My 10 year old boat is torn apart from rotting vent, fuel fill and feed line.

The gas lines appear to be in good shape as well as the fuel overflow...it's almost impossible to get to them.

I am replacing everything from the tank to engine.

No ROT is seen in any of the fuel lines from the tank to the vent and inbound.

Dc

6 hours ago, geeviam said:

Great thread DC!  Even though you are adding some weight to the boat with the increased fuel capacity, it looks like you've removed quite a bit of extra weight in all the water-logged foam you found.  Just my opinion, but if it was my decision at this point, I would not put any foam back in the boat below the waterline - sealed or not.  There are more ways for water to find its way to the lowest point in a hull.  It can even permeate the outer gel coat/glass/cloth lamination itself, depending on how porous the layup is.  All gel coat is porous to some degree.

The owner at Fiberglass by Design, Richard, feels there is a reason for the FOAM and wants to replace it...we have a lot of weight on the top of the new floor - 40 gallons, so we'll replace the floor and then shoot the foam.

More on this tomorrow when I go to the shop.

I tend to agree with him....it was put there for a reason...we should NOT HAVE ANY FURTHER ISSUES ONCE WE SEAL IT PROPERLY....

DC

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Troubadour said:

DC I can’t wait for the project to finish!  Want to see lots of pictures, keep them coming!  Makes total sense to not have that foam all the way to the keel (I’m no expert!) Who knows why they did it that way. 👍

YEP, RICHARD KNOWS HIS CH$TT.... owner of Fiberglass by Design...we will get it right !!!

DC

• Moderator changed the title to Boat Restoration Thread: Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost
  • Moderator pinned this topic