Boat Restoration Thread: Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost

Wanaflatsfish

3 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

None....so far...it's super clean for a 27 year old skiff....

She's looking really good for the tank re-installation.

dc

I am sure you have, but have them do a quadruple check and get pics of it.   When you go to sell it, it will be good for the buyer to know that parts of the boat they will never be able to inspect have been thoroughly inspected and are in great shape.   pics cost you nothing, but can help a resale of a 30 year old boat.    Any buyer would have to wonder, you have a unique opportunity to document the condition.   Just a thought.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

LAP....

The tank looks reasonably good....it WAS NOT FOAMED IN....which my guy says probably was a benefit.

there is one spot on the bottom where looks to be ready to develop pin-holes.

We think it might have gone another couple of years....but, now was a good time to make the decision.

The key, according to Richard @ Fiberglass by Design, is to be sure to epoxy coat the exterior....we will be doing this prior to the install.

Good to know, especially for guys with aging skiffs.  A foamed in tank is a disaster.  Closed cell or not it will eventually hold water and corrode the aluminum.  Very smart for MBG to NOT USE FOAM!  

2 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Good to know, especially for guys with aging skiffs.  A foamed in tank is a disaster.  Closed cell or not it will eventually hold water and corrode the aluminum.  Very smart for MBG to NOT USE FOAM!  

On this retrofit..in order to add an additional 7 gallons, we are not going to use "tabs"....and we will be epoxy coating the entire tank....

Based upon the space, we can add 2 inches to the width and we are going 5" longer....

DC

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

On this retrofit..in order to add an additional 7 gallons, we are not going to use "tabs"....and we will be epoxy coating the entire tank....

Based upon the space, we can add 2 inches to the width and we are going 5" longer....

DC

With the extra forward weight, it should have you set up for if you have to hang a 4S on the back. Then you will have more range on your boat than truck!

38 minutes ago, Shallowminded6 said:

With the extra forward weight, it should have you set up for if you have to hang a 4S on the back. Then you will have more range on your boat than truck!

I get right at 3.5 mph when I run her easy peasy.....with the extra gallons....

Currently it's about 27-28 based upon the cubic inches....with the extra size we will get say 35...

@ 3.5 x 30 = 105 miles with 7 to spare....this gets me from Choko to Rodgers and a return back on inside if needed....

SUMMER BEACH SNOOK GET READY FOR CAPT. DONH and da Fly Rod :)

I also will have the range to fish out front of Flamingo and run the CAPE to Shark and back in with 7-8 gallons to spare...easily....

DC

The USA will never be energy independent simply due to the fact that 30% of our liquid fuel consumption is diesel. Cannot use most US crude to make diesel, so we will always be importing a lot of crude for diesel or diesel fuel itself. At least we can export our crude to even things out a little.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, NCTribute said:

The USA will never be energy independent simply due to the fact that 30% of our liquid fuel consumption is diesel. Cannot use most US crude to make diesel, so we will always be importing a lot of crude for diesel or diesel fuel itself. At least we can export our crude to even things out a little.

This. And every tire, bed liner, laptop computer, computer/electronic device and equipment to build is petroleum based. Fuel prices like that, my 4stroke will pay for itself. 

• Wanaflatsfish changed the title to Update: Update March 8th TANK IS OUT...CONSOLE WORK Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost

So, let me see....

New SHO ??? Say $15K rigged and ready....

My mileage would double.....for sure 6mpg...300 miles per month = 50 gallons  per month @ $4.00 = $200.....old motor - 3 mpg = 300 miles = 100 gallons @ $4.00 = $400 per month 

Annual cost SHO = $2400 / Two smoker = $4800 = difference - $2400 

Pay back 7 years ??? plus minus :)

Hmmmmm, I'll wait til she don't smoke NO MO :)

Anyhow...here is some more work ready...

Console completely re-gelcoated a few spots more....

From.......

472093172_ScreenShot2021-03-08at5_05_37PM.png.a81cb6dc469e644956757577639f8e9c.png

console1.thumb.jpg.8d2a101b3f848c584027ba4c4087d8fa.jpgconsoleIMG_9568.thumb.jpg.cfc510b7e71ebc6225702ab07f49c0f4.jpg

The tank is out and @ Outlaw has it.....

tankIMG_9575.thumb.jpg.984360d1c9d25b7cc182a33e51a6b852.jpg

Here we are refitting it to add some size so I can get another 7 gallons or so...this will bring it from 27-28 to 35 which gives me an additional 20 + miles range.....get home fuel :)

tankIMG_9561.thumb.jpg.8fe2a0858f4dafbce510a3514dc879e9.jpg

we are going to increase the length by 5 inches  to get a few gallons and then increase the width by 1 inch on each side.

tank2IMG_9562.thumb.jpg.38c124defb8dab03deb175297526bc41.jpg

the diagram from @ AIM Welding...

tank-1.thumb.jpg.68fb893ffa63de294667dccbb9139430.jpg

How she currently sits......

tank3IMG_9566.thumb.jpg.3c586e58e08806e7e15a8749a69b2ffd.jpg

AND....LAST BUT NOT LEAST.....WHERE SHE SLEEPS AT NIGHT :)

fiberglassIMG_9570.thumb.jpg.97207f8d46310151e9d82abe5dbd9218.jpg

• Like 1

When ... When it implodes .

Just hope someone , with good karma , will just happen to be near to tow you in .

I did the exact same math that you just posted , and that is what made me sleep better at night , but the bottom line is , I wish my 2 smoker imploded years earlier .

No comparison no question !

On a brighter note .

Fixin to pimp your tank ! 😜

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

• Like 1

• Moderator changed the title to Boat Restoration Thread: Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost
  • Moderator pinned this topic