2000 Bayfisher 16 gas tank capacity

BlueDog

• 2 weeks later...

That’s interesting. What does the tank look like? I was able to get find a decal on the top of my tank with the capacity. If you aren’t that lucky I remember seeing a formula once that would give you the tank volume. I’ll try to track that down but you can likely Google it as well. 

I have a ‘00 18’ bay fisher (4 stroke 115) and the gas gauge does the exact same thing.  The gauge is in the very back of the tank and depending on how your boat is sitting (back heavy)it will read full and above half for a long time.  I experimented with mine for some time, and the gauge is consistent in the readings, and accidentally found that - and that was a one time thing for me - there is a decent reserve (maybe 6 gal), but I have a 40 gal tank.  As many members on this site, I go by an avg burn ratio and watch my hrs to gauge fuel level.   I’m comfortable as it is and prefer not to run with the extra weight of a full tank (as I like the that 115 on an 18’ of styrofoam feeling).

This is what our tanks look like.  The shape is the reason it quickly goes from empty to about 3/4 and then it slows down and accepts more fuel towards the end. The same concept applies as mentioned above because our sending units are placed above an angle and not on the bottom of the tank. Theres a couple gallons as reserve. 

672FDF96-0713-4EBC-ABB8-03AC8FC69C9E.jpeg

Thanks! That makes sense. I was thinking it was simply a rectangular tank. It’s been about 20 years since my last boat (a ‘94 AquaForce Skipjack 18 with a ‘92 Johnson 88 Special) so I’m a little rusty. The Bayfisher has the original Yamaha C90. I need to run it to get a better sense of how it burns fuel. But I love the sound of two stroke goodness

• Like 1