Ultimate trolling motor set-up for MA 18.5

makomark

First of all, a 2006 18.6 MA is a unicorn, so you aren't getting ANY advice till you post some pics of her so we can . . . er . . . know for sure she exists.   I mean, who wants to give advice about a boat that isn't even real?   And if she IS real, some of us would like to drool over her.  

On a (somewhat) more serious note, agree w/ HoneyB - I've seen more guys switch FROM the Ulterra than TO the Ulterra.   There are a lot of great advantages with it, I can't tell you the number of times I've finished fishing a spot, gotten behind the console, and realized I forgot to stow the motor.   yes, it's only 10 feet away, but still aggravating.  Would be nice to hit a button.   Also, really useful when you are on the back platform sighting fish and using the TM to ease along, to be able to raise it and lower it with the terrain.   

On the other hand, you are getting a few "nice to haves" at the cost of inevitable problems.   It WILL break, its just a matter of when.   My Ipilot will break too, but there is at least a little less.

I toyed with getting one on my boat, but about the time I was going to pull the trigger, my buddy switched from his Ulterra to the Terrarova.   That was enough to change my mind.

1 hour ago, whichwaysup said:

First of all, a 2006 18.6 MA is a unicorn, so you aren't getting ANY advice till you post some pics of her so we can . . . er . . . know for sure she exists.   I mean, who wants to give advice about a boat that isn't even real?   And if she IS real, some of us would like to drool over her.  

On a (somewhat) more serious note, agree w/ HoneyB - I've seen more guys switch FROM the Ulterra than TO the Ulterra.   There are a lot of great advantages with it, I can't tell you the number of times I've finished fishing a spot, gotten behind the console, and realized I forgot to stow the motor.   yes, it's only 10 feet away, but still aggravating.  Would be nice to hit a button.   Also, really useful when you are on the back platform sighting fish and using the TM to ease along, to be able to raise it and lower it with the terrain.   

On the other hand, you are getting a few "nice to haves" at the cost of inevitable problems.   It WILL break, its just a matter of when.   My Ipilot will break too, but there is at least a little less.

I toyed with getting one on my boat, but about the time I was going to pull the trigger, my buddy switched from his Ulterra to the Terrarova.   That was enough to change my mind.

I promise to post a better photo of it, but then again I don’t have many pics of my kids either. Although I am including a beautiful photo of my wife to make up for it.

0746F454-D18D-48F7-B94A-E91F6A8055FF.png

4B02C79D-1B81-41B5-B6E1-186533BB51C3.png

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 12:55 PM, greenbone said:

Yes ,the Ulterra would be a great convenience and I think most of the old issues have been worked out. I do use two group 27 wet cell batteries .

I have the Gen 2 or 3 - can't remember...but, I have not had any problems with mine.

There are some recommendations which I have read about...

1.) Do not put excessive pressure on the extension, meaning, do not run your motor and trolling motor at the same time...it could bend the shaft

2.) Keep your trolling batteries well charged 

3.) I keep it well flushed and cleaned after each trip...

I also use series 27's - run all day - I charge them within 1 day of my last trip and then keep them topped off the night prior to my trips.

DC

• 4 months later...

I ended up getting the Motor Guide xi5 and are pretty happy with it. Spot lock works perfect. I’m thinking of pairing it with my lowrance by running a NMEA cable from the trolling motor to the lowrance head unit.  Question I have is their a way of running it through the anchor locker back through the transom or is this blocked off? Any other suggestions on how to route it would be appreciated.

Makomark, I have a 2005 18 Master Angler and have run cables from the anchor locker to the console and to the transom area. Easiest method that I have found is to start at the console and feed a fish tape forward over the tank or rearward through the cable tube toward the transom. Suggest starting at the console even when running the entire length of the boat. Feed one end of the wire forward and the other end rearward. Otherwise, very tough to get a tape up and over the tank if pushing it from one end or the other.