Transducer cable routing

John B

Hi again,

I am contemplating routing my cable through the transom,  just to the right of where the tower attaches ......  high enough to be above the waterline. Looks like this brings it through behind the liner of the battery compartment.  The end on my cable is around 5/8 diameter and about 1 1/2" long before it gets to the point where cable joins the end and becomes flexible.  Question :  has anyone routed through this area and is there a wide enough gap to get the cable end through the hole and turned before it hits the compartment liner ?  I have a Blue Sea cable clam which will cover a 3/4" hole .

Thanks,  jb

• 2 weeks later...

I did route the cable through the transom ....... have never liked the look of the cable wrapped up and over.   Picked a spot up pretty high and slightly to the right of the poling platform transom bracket.  Drilled a 3/4" hole and sure enough, the end on my transducer cable would not make the turn to get routed between the battery compartment liner and transom.  I used a long rifle drill bit to transfer a small hole into the compartment rear wall  - this hole ended up almost dead center of the mounting location for the battery switch.  Then hole sawed a 1 1/4" opening using the small hold as the pilot.  This hole allowed me to pull the cable in and get it turned 90 degrees for routing into the bilge area.   I have a 1 1/4' rubber panel plug to be popped into the hole with a little silicone.  Now the fun part - fishing the cable up into the console !

jb

42 minutes ago, John B said:

I did route the cable through the transom ....... have never liked the look of the cable wrapped up and over.   Picked a spot up pretty high and slightly to the right of the poling platform transom bracket.  Drilled a 3/4" hole and sure enough, the end on my transducer cable would not make the turn to get routed between the battery compartment liner and transom.  I used a long rifle drill bit to transfer a small hole into the compartment rear wall  - this hole ended up almost dead center of the mounting location for the battery switch.  Then hole sawed a 1 1/4" opening using the small hold as the pilot.  This hole allowed me to pull the cable in and get it turned 90 degrees for routing into the bilge area.   I have a 1 1/4' rubber panel plug to be popped into the hole with a little silicone.  Now the fun part - fishing the cable up into the console !

jb

That will look better, im not a fan of the wife over the slashwell either. Is the hole above the waterline? Pull an extra string when you pull the cable so you have it for the next time you run a wire or rerun a wire for one of your pumps/tabs. 

40 minutes ago, Shallowminded6 said:

That will look better, im not a fan of the wife over the slashwell either. Is the hole above the waterline? Pull an extra string when you pull the cable so you have it for the next time you run a wire or rerun a wire for one of your pumps/tabs. 

Uhhh... Nevermind 🤫😎🤣

• 1 month later...

Next problem is the Humminbird transducer spray. I'd read that this could be a problem ....... and it is !  The spray is in all directions and quite annoying not to mention a problem with salt water all over the engine.  Working on fashioning a spray guard. Will follow up on this project.

jb

I went with the Helix 7 ....... partially because Cabelas had them on 'sale' ( now the std price 🤨). I've had it out once and like the graphics.  This thing has so many screens, have not come close to figuring it out, but first impressions were good.  The side scan is kind of cool, but not sure exactly how I'd use it ? Lot to figure out.

jb