Anybody have a new head unit put on a 2 stroke?

Geaux Time

Hey Guys,

My 90 2 stroke Yami is finally shot.  Water continues to get in the inner/lower head from corrosion.  Got a quote from a marine mechanic saying they could put a new head on it for around $4500.  I'm guessing a new 90 Suzuki 4 stroke would be around 10k.  If everything was working fine, I'd probably sell the boat (Hewes Bayfisher 16) and move up to a bay boat (family friendly).  Now I'm in a bit of a pickle because the boat is not worth much without a working engine.  Do any of you have experience with getting a new head unit?  Is it worth it for me or should I just throw in the towel and take what I can get for hull, components, and trailer.  Otherwise, the boat is in good shape.

Thanks as always for the advice.

Scott

Unlike many, that is a desirable hull and I think you could get something decent for without an engine.

Many could be looking for one of these hulls to repower and don't want to pay for an engine they are only going to take off.

If repaired I think you would loose more by turning around and selling after than just selling in its current state.

I would not put a new motor on just to sell the boat. I would think that would be the way to loose the most amount of money on your boat. Five grand to get it going to sell it in the lower teens seems like your best move. I see for one for sale now with a 90 zuke that has been for sale for a while asking 17,000. 
 Selling the boat and trailer with a bad motor will likely move quickly. I have not seen many lappys sold as projects. 
 I would personally list it for sale as is and swing for the fences on the price. If you get a number you can live with let her fly. If not take the listing down and repair the motor or be looking for a used yammie 70 or 90. You can buy a used two stroke for the price of the power head you listed above. 

• Like 1

Plus 3 on the advice above.   I was in exactly the same situation with my first MA.   I decided to sell it, and right when I did so, I found that the engine was basically shot.   I struggled with the same question, but found what the guys above said - somewhere out there is a potential buyer who has an engine, but doesn't have a boat.   What you get for the hull will be more than you will get for the whole package including a new motor.   For the buyer, they get an engine they personally choose, which means less risk.   There are a surprising number of people out there who have, or have access, to an engine that just needs a boat.

On the other hand, I had a buddy who put a new head on his engine and it lasted about a year.   As old as your motor is, you are only replacing one headache, and there are others waiting for you.   

Just my two cents.

Never done it but had a friend who had his rebuilt (new power head basically) and it popped in about a year and mechanic redid it and it popped again maybe 2 years late. Then he re-powered with new and mentioned more than once he wished he would've just re-powered to begin with. He loves his hull though and keeping the boat was always his priority. 

I bet you could not sell that 90 for 4500 bucks if it had a new power head on it.. They were great engines but they are old tech and most folks want 4 strokes.

Where is the mechanic gonna find a new head for a Yamaha 90 2 stroke?

I would sell as is and let the buyer decide if he wants to roll the dice on a rebuild. Price the boat accordingly and let her go.

My 90 2S had the same problem, however the leak was caused by corrosion at the top of the #3 cylinder where it met the head....the cylinder head was fine. If this is your problem you will have to try and find a "short block" and replace. It can not be welded and re-machined. These re-built short blocks are getting hard to find, I was lucky I found one about 20 miles from me and if I remember it was just at $1900. I think Capt. Troy is correct, the 90 2S gets terrible fuel economy and it's very old carbureted technology. Good luck.

Down here in FL the guys who have the 90 Yamaha 2 strokes love them.   At this stage they are all old,and if not babied will die of corrosion as my 150 VMAX did. My 2006 90HP is living in Canada with my son and will last forever in fresh water.LOL  I repowered my LT 150 with a 4 stroke Yamaha because I loved the boat,not because it was a good financial decision.

Old engines need to go to the junk yard,fixing a 20yr old motor doesn't make sense.

Thanks for input. I’ve learned a lot from you all over the years. I’m going to sell as is. The boat (other than motor) is in really good shape for a 21yr old boat. I’ve had some wonderful days on the water and caught lots of fish on her. I’ll put it on the MBG for sale forum and be patient. I’ll eventually look to get a Pathy so those Keys and scalloping trips are more enjoyable for the family. 
Scott

I’m going to sell as is Guys. I love the boat and it’s great for solo or two person fishing but gets tight with wife and kids. If it were just me using it for fishing, I’d have no issue putting another motor on it. Those trim tabs make chop a breeze in the middle of the IRL. I’m going to put it on the for sale forum soon. Here are a couple teaser pics. 

5FFDEFF5-A7F0-4DEC-A1F1-69443237A8A5.jpeg

6E4034B5-78CD-471E-9DA3-AD5472DAE228.jpeg

7910C254-2ACC-4E84-8D42-702CDFAFFFF1.jpeg

92C8598C-B88C-49B1-A2CF-0F05AF370823.jpeg

D81F0275-CB6A-40AB-8A0C-176FC10F3F52.jpeg

3668E6DB-E705-4F1E-A2B1-4FAAC5F697A2.jpeg

F07B882F-EE5D-4022-9CA3-8348FE7E3234.jpeg

11632FAD-D695-475C-8910-5FCE2E0FB141.jpeg

B1CE674B-CFB3-4C29-8702-1900C1B68643.jpeg