Lappy engine height/ prop recommendation

Toeknee217

Hi guys merry christmas! 

im in the process of dialing in my setup and was looking for some opinions on my current engine height and any prop recommendations to improve my running characteristics. 

I currently have the engine mounted in the second lowest position. The anti ventilation plate is about equal with the flat portion of the pocket in the hull. The boat doesn't porpoise currently but feels like it is slipping a lot with my current prop at certain rpms and whenever I turn. I am also unable to trim up and raise the bow at higher rpms... the boat will just rooster tail and remain running flat. . Fastest I've seen is 55 and that's trimmed out with two people. 

My current prop is a quicksilver 48 16320 a4 23 pitch on my carbureted mercury 200hp. 

Ill be getting the RPMs at WOT within the next few days as the wind clears up. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 5:16 PM, SouthernWake said:

I feel the engine can come up a good bit, get a prop with some cup as well/ Your current seems to be pretty cup-less.

Thanks for your input. Does cupping effect bow lift? I guess that is why my hull drops the bow at WOT rather than lifting. Im on the look out to test a tempest plus or bravo 1fs since they are said to be bow lifting props. My boat combo should be well into the 60 mph range so my current prop must be way off. 

Yeah im aware that the 18' lappy doesn't have a running pad but I know this hull shouldn't ride like this. I have running videos on here where the entire length of the boat is planted while under full acceleration but even when I trim up it stays planted. It likes to  bow steer at higher speeds. 

Thanks for the offer I was unaware of the torrent. I may be  interested in taking it off your hands.

I need the wind to die down here in the bay so I can get some rpm numbers with my current  23p. 

The oil injection is removed on this Merc but I believe a 21P would get me passed 6k rpm. Once I get my numbers I should be able to make that decision. 

Are you the guy that was posting about the tach not reading a few months ago? It seems you are still making some assumptions on RPM. I am not sure how long your Lappy is but you may not be spinning as many rpm’s as you think. Also comparing the stock quicksilver rpm to the other props you mentions will be useful but not exact. The props you mentioned are fast props and will lift your boat out of the water for sure. I am a fan of mercury branded props. Without knowing anything except you have a older 200 on  lappy large enough to hold it up in I would say a tempest 21 would be a great all around prop. If you like the idea of 4 blades the Bravo1FS would give you hole shot and lift . Merc. Says go up one pitch from tempest so think 22 pitch. The rev 4 is a good lifting prop and they are fast much like the tempest plus. Also likely looking at around 21 pitch. ( I have one for sale on the his site). Mercury enertia is another three blade offering that has large blade surface and cupping and in my opinion works almost as well as the tempest plus. The Enertia sells for a little less that the others but is a good all round prop. 
  Don’t get caught up thinking that you are looking for 23 to 25 inch props because you have a 200 hp Mercury and you think it should blow past every other boat on the bay. My pathy is pretty quick with more HP than that and I’m not swinging those high pitch props either. Those high end props are doing a lot of work to give you that lift and such and doing work means consuming rpm’s so the 21-23 pitch props you mentioned are probably going to land you just about right on your rpm’s ..again this is all speculation with the missing info on your current set up. 

55 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Are you the guy that was posting about the tach not reading a few months ago? It seems you are still making some assumptions on RPM. I am not sure how long your Lappy is but you may not be spinning as many rpm’s as you think. Also comparing the stock quicksilver rpm to the other props you mentions will be useful but not exact. The props you mentioned are fast props and will lift your boat out of the water for sure. I am a fan of mercury branded props. Without knowing anything except you have a older 200 on  lappy large enough to hold it up in I would say a tempest 21 would be a great all around prop. If you like the idea of 4 blades the Bravo1FS would give you hole shot and lift . Merc. Says go up one pitch from tempest so think 22 pitch. The rev 4 is a good lifting prop and they are fast much like the tempest plus. Also likely looking at around 21 pitch. ( I have one for sale on the his site). Mercury enertia is another three blade offering that has large blade surface and cupping and in my opinion works almost as well as the tempest plus. The Enertia sells for a little less that the others but is a good all round prop. 
  Don’t get caught up thinking that you are looking for 23 to 25 inch props because you have a 200 hp Mercury and you think it should blow past every other boat on the bay. My pathy is pretty quick with more HP than that and I’m not swinging those high pitch props either. Those high end props are doing a lot of work to give you that lift and such and doing work means consuming rpm’s so the 21-23 pitch props you mentioned are probably going to land you just about right on your rpm’s ..again this is all speculation with the missing info on your current set up. 

First of all thank your for this information this is the kind of information I was looking for!  It gets confusing with all the different models and pitch sizes. 

Yes that's me, I bought all new Faria gauges for my lappy 18' and after chasing problems with the tach it  ended up being faulty from factory and was sent a new one. Now Fixed. 

Im not looking to be the fastest person on the bay I just want a good all around performer while staying under 6k rpm mark. I realize its all assumptions at this point until I get numbers and try the different props. 

I was using bass boats as reference for pitch sizes because my setup with the older 2 stroke is not common and the previous owner of the outboard ran 25-27 pitch props but he was going 70+ on a completely different  hull. I thought the newer four strokes like yours were able to swing the smaller props better because they are higher revving. 

For my use I was really leaning towards a 4 blade. Ill be looking for your for sale post on the rev 4, and I have the bravo 1 in 22p as well as the tempest(torrent) in 21-23 in my sights. 

Any of the props you mentioned will make your boat feel like a different  boat from the prop you have now. 
  If you have been looking in the bass boat world you should have seen the discuss the fury prop as well.. the bass guys seem to like it to. I’m not sure how much higher you can raise your motor. Going by rule of thumb you should be about right. If it has a running pad you might could squeak out one more hole up but without it I think you are going to need to keep your motor a little further in the water. 

oh and as to my pathfy turning up higher pitch props.. it is a 22 footer with a t top. That is asking the prop to do a lot of work compared to the same engine on a bass boat. And as I said before “ doing work consumes rpm’s” 

• 2 months later...

Thought id give a small update for whoever might be interested. I ended up purchasing the 21P rev 4 from HoneyB (Thank You!), and it completely changed the attitude of the hull.

The boat pops out of the hole nicely and the acceleration is scary fast. I can now trim the boat and lift the bow easily. The engine seems to be mounted just fine where it's at. No porpoising and it does not lose grip in turns anymore. 

Haven't had the weather to do a WOT run but I took the boat out yesterday and with 3/4 tank, full Livewell, and a 2 person fishing load I was able to do 30 mph at 3k rpm with a little trim. Cruises beautifully. 

Thanks for the input/recommendations