Troll motor power wire

1 minute ago, Jeff Mertz said:

I have a 22' pathfinder TE and need to change my trolling motor power cable. I know these wires are supposed to be in tubing but mire wire will not budge when i pull on it🤬. Any suggestions?

My 22' TE is a 2007 year model. One other question, I have owned the boat for 11 years and I am tired of getting wet feet. I am going to install Raybud scuppers in hopes that this will take care of problem. The deck drains on the 2007 have strainers on them, how do you remove these in case the scuppers don't fix the problem?

Jeff,

The strainer as you call it is probably a check valve. The system, as designed,  allows the deck to drain and the water to go overboard at the waterline. The check valve stops water from backing up onto the deck.  Trouble is, things get down the drain and get stuck in the check valves. Water comes back in and lays on the deck.

You can try a strong hose into the drain holes.  This gets out a lot of the crud. You can see crud stuck in the rubber flapper at the fitting.

The best way I have found is to periodically take a wet vac and and the hose.  Put the hose inside the boat on the floor. Got to the transom and unscrew the flapper ring. Don't drop the little screw !   Put the wet vac hose over/around the chrome drain and pull the water through the hose and check valve for a minute or two. Of course, be safe.. Use a GFI circuit for the extension cord and keep the wet vac off the ground and away from the water. Switch sides and do the same.

Just for grins, clean out the wet vac bucket before you start.  You will see the unbelievable things that go down the drains: Lizards, rain frogs, twisted hair, mono knots, bugs, leaves and lots of sand.. If you clean out the lines, the water will not come back onto the deck.

The rabuds are a pure fix to the problem. There is a spacer needed for the install.  Plenty of threads to search for the process and parts needed.

Mod M

13 minutes ago, Moderator said:

Jeff,

The strainer as you call it is probably a check valve. The system, as designed,  allows the deck to drain and the water to go overboard at the waterline. The check valve stops water from backing up onto the deck.  Trouble is, things get down the drain and get stuck in the check valves. Water comes back in and lays on the deck.

You can try a strong hose into the drain holes.  This gets out a lot of the crud. You can see crud stuck in the rubber flapper at the fitting.

The best way I have found is to periodically take a wet vac and and the hose.  Put the hose inside the boat on the floor. Got to the transom and unscrew the flapper ring. Don't drop the little screw !   Put the wet vac hose over/around the chrome drain and pull the water through the hose and check valve for a minute or two. Of course, be safe.. Use a GFI circuit for the extension cord and keep the wet vac off the ground and away from the water. Switch sides and do the same.

Just for grins, clean out the wet vac bucket before you start.  You will see the unbelievable things that go down the drains: Lizards, rain frogs, twisted hair, mono knots, bugs, leaves and lots of sand.. If you clean out the lines, the water will not come back onto the deck.

The rabuds are a pure fix to the problem. There is a spacer needed for the install.  Plenty of threads to search for the process and parts needed.

Mod M

I guess strainer might not be the correct term. It's actually the grate covers that go over the actual drain holes on the deck. They appear to be fixed in place and can't be removed. I was just wanting to remove them and put plugs in to stop water infiltration as a backup if raybuds didn't alleviate the problem.

16 minutes ago, Chief5130 said:

I do not think there is a boat that the Raybuds (when installed correctly) did not fix the water issue.  The Mods advice is a good first step.

As for the wiring, I would get a fish tape and see if you can find your way to the bow from the access hole in the console where the current wires come out.

Thanks chief, that was going to be my next step🤞

Sorry Jeff. Those are strainers.  There were different designs on the model years.. If you look in the bilge you will see the gray or black Check valve assemblies in the drain hoses.. Same process works to flush out the crud with the deck strainers.. 

You can try the flush and vacuum before buying the Rabuds and spacers.. 

Let us know how you make out..

Mod M

My son uses the boat and brings his friends. It’s possible that the young ladies brush their hair and the fallout rolls down the washways. Could be hair lost taking off their dive gear.. Etc.

I hope the above, and just a bit of imagination, answers the 50 years question on twisted hair.. 

Oh, to be young again !

MM

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Moderator said:

My son uses the boat and brings his friends. It’s possible that the young ladies brush their hair and the fallout rolls down the washways. Could be hair lost taking off their dive gear.. Etc.

I hope the above, and just a bit of imagination, answers the 50 years question on twisted hair.. 

Oh, to be young again !

MM

Thanks for the info, I am heading down from Michigan tomorrow. I will clean out check valves and install Raybuds, hopefully they fix issue🤞. Excited to get boat back in water with new Suzuki 200 power plant on back end. I will keep you updated on results.

3 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

But what about the power cables die we get them out?  One would think it would be binding outside the tube on either end. I often use my phone camera to stick below deck and see what’s going on.. 

Tried that last spring before I left but didn't get into in depth. Boat is in Florida so when I get down there I will be diving back into it. I will  try the fish tape as well> hopefully it all works out in the end and I will keep you posted. Really love all the info and help this forum offers. Happy Holidays🎅

On 12/23/2020 at 9:44 AM, Moderator said:

Oh, to be young again !

MM

Yes, you keep on believing those reasons. Will make you sleep better at night 🤞. Reality......LOL 😀👍️Fin. Love this forum, learn something new everyday. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 9:59 AM, Jeff Mertz said:

Tried that last spring before I left but didn't get into in depth. Boat is in Florida so when I get down there I will be diving back into it. I will  try the fish tape as well> hopefully it all works out in the end and I will keep you posted. Really love all the info and help this forum offers. Happy Holidays🎅

On 12/21/2020 at 12:55 PM, Jeff Mertz said:

Thanks chief, that was going to be my next step🤞

Fish tape worked and new wire is pulled, thanks again for the advice. Also installed Raybuds and no more wet feet.