1987 Hewes ?s

TURN ME LOOSE

Did they make a Redfisher model in '87? Or would it be a Bonefisher? Seller claims it's an 87 Redfisher 17. A "Vintage Kevlar" model. That may have just given away which boat I'm referring to, but I want it.

Anyone know the specs?

Tried looking here for some product info, but didn't find what I was looking for...unless the 1989 Bonefisher specs are the same as the 87...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Yes they made a Redfisher in 1987. That boat has wood in it though and was made in Homestead Florida. It is also made with Kevlar "wovenings" mixed in with regular fiberglass so the boat itself is not Kevlar. That boat was made prior to MBC aquiring the brand.

The seller claims the boat has recently undergone a major restoration. What all was restored? Idk. Says it was "lovingly redone by a close friend of Bob Hewes."

Also, I knew that Hewes was built in S Fl, but had no clue they were once built in my hometown of Deadsted. That's cool! I knew Hoog was because I went to school with Bob Hoog's daughter and niece.

8 hours ago, geeviam said:

My dad and I fished with Capt. Ludwig Johnson out of Flamingo in the 70s.  He had a Hewes Redfisher with a 85 Johnson.  I thought it was the coolest boat, and I've been hooked on flats boats ever since those times as a child.

My father owned two while I was growing up. An 80s model lappy with the livewells on the stern and a '93 Redfisher that he bought from Capt. Murphy. I've loved lappies all my life.

• Like 1

The companies name who manufactured the hulls was called Regal Fiberglass, if you look at the serial number on that Hewe's it starts with RGFL referencing the company name. My brother-in-Law went there and he helped build his very own Hewes Wildcat, that is all Kevlar and composite material. He worked for Bob for many years until Bob sold the company to MBG. I believe this is a 1984 Wildcat that uses the Redfisher hull. Yes a lapstrake ski-boat that he still owns today.

5b67652296ebf_AlansI-PhonePics039.thumb.JPG.00b276a67e36cd83e475ed5e155af4b3.JPG1289641722_AlansI-PhonePics040.thumb.JPG.4c57b1e9be350ebbfcb197214ad011fb.JPG

12 hours ago, fin-addict said:

Was that Ricks yellow “Murphy’s Law”. Ricks a great guy, 👍👍

It wasn't yellow, it was on off-white greyish color. Black poling platform and black front casting platform. Powered with a 150 XR6 Merc. If anyone is familiar with his show, Sportsman's Adventures, it was literally in an episode where a shark bit the lower unit. Until we had to replace the lower unit, the teeth marks were a constant conversation piece. I remember some trips on the blue one from the 80s, but the '93 is the one I really grew up on. I'd kill to have that boat back. I've had a love affair with lappies since that boat. I'll try to find an old pic of it.

It was stolen from a local fiberglass shop when I was in high school. Found stripped in Doral. In about '99, the original motor blew up. Optimax's were just becoming popular, so dad re-powered through Travis Boating Center. I was in my teens, and doing what teens do (not drugs, but being wreckless and young), so dad bought a 135. They screwed up and sold him a 25" shaft. Once they corrected that problem, and gave us the correct 20" shaft motor, we noticed a cracked transom.

My father owned the Chevron on Krome Ave, and Palm Drive, in Fl. City. He was Bishop Bros Chevron with his business partner. Bishop is my last name. Built the station in '88. Sold to Dion in '00 I think. That convenience store saw a plethora of guides and Captains before they'd head off to Flamingo or elsewhere. Dad became friends with a lot of them. Capt. Rick Murphy and Capt. Rob Fordyce probably being the two most well known he was actually friends with. Other greats stopped too, but he wasn't close with them. Flip, Stu, etc, etc. There would be days Capt. Murphy's clients wouldn't show up, he'd take my dad with him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Toeknee217 said:

That boat seems to be in pretty good condition and he's been lowering the price so you might be able to do even better. Ive had an older Johnson SPL and it was a great motor but the wiring basically disintegrates and causes electrical problems so keep an eye out. 

Cousin of mine is what I consider an Evinrude guru. I've already asked all the questions I need in regards to that motor. If it ever blew, I'd try to find a 130 Yamaha anyways. Thanks for looking out, though.

• Like 1