Nervous but going to Flamingo

Inside or outside? Two completely different areas. The outside is more muddy flats with grass you have to be careful with so you don’t get stuck. They also have made the majority pole and troll only so you are mostly running in channel or the more open deeper water areas where there are no non motor zones. Inside doesn’t have any zones and water depth is average 3-4ft plus you can run to the gulf from there if fishing is slow and work Ponce bay or Big Sable, etc...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Coto said:

Inside or outside? Two completely different areas. The outside is more muddy flats with grass you have to be careful with so you don’t get stuck. They also have made the majority pole and troll only so you are mostly running in channel or the more open deeper water areas where there are no non motor zones. Inside doesn’t have any zones and water depth is average 3-4ft plus you can run to the gulf from there if fishing is slow and work Ponce bay or Big Sable, etc...

Going to try right outside the marina. lol  I'll throw the trolling motor down and ease in is my thinking.  Have a few areas in mind already.  

I've done the run on the inside up Joe's river to shark.  lots of fishy spots, lots of catfish. lol  That's why I'm thinking out front. 

26 minutes ago, Coto said:

I'd be happy with a few trout to be honest.  

SS you will be fine, the first time I ran Flamingo I used a paper chart and the channel markers and landmarks in someone else's boat no less! You'll be fine, just get off of the flat you are on if there is an outgoing tide and the wind is blowing or you'll end up with a forum name like mine!:D I know it is a new boat but how would you describe the first scar (if that is what your worried about) on the boat to all your buddies; Having a beer with the boys and explain that scar on the side of the boat like this................that happened when my kids bike fell over in the garage OR I hooked a huge Tarpon in Flamingo that was dragging me around the channel markers? Go have some fun and make memories! Oh and post up some photos!!

Hell, dragging a boat down 95 in South Florida is scarier to me then running flamingo:o

3 hours ago, SeaSerpent123 said:

Ok you all, going to drag the boat down to Flamingo this weekend.  Hoping for some good weather. I have no idea on where to go but going to try anyway.  I know at the ramp, it will be low tide early morning.  Wish me luck....well luck to actually catch something other than a catfish.  lol

What GPS are you using?

1 hour ago, SeaSerpent123 said:

Simrad with FMT chart

You should be just fine. Just keep in mind that sometimes the bottom changes. There was a cut between the mangroves and the sand bar at Wood key and it is now completely gone and the sand bar goes all the way to the mangroves. On the FMT it still shows the cut open and passable but it is not. Don't just rely on the GPS only, use those polarized glasses and scan the water also.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Coto said:

You should be just fine. Just keep in mind that sometimes the bottom changes. There was a cut between the mangroves and the sand bar at Wood key and it is now completely gone and the sand bar goes all the way to the mangroves. On the FMT it still shows the cut open and passable but it is not. Don't just rely on the GPS only, use those polarized glasses and scan the water also.

I have no idea where wood key is but ok, I get what your saying.

• 3 months later...
On 12/8/2020 at 10:46 AM, Coto said:

There was never a track running through there or even to the bar.   The current vector chart shows the outline of the bar extending all the way over to the trees but there is still no current image showing the full extent of the bar.  Time to update.  SFL is scheduled to be updated with new images late this year or early 2022 after the latest aerials surveys of FL Bay are flown this spring and hopefully that area will be included in the coverage.  

• Like 1