Prop on 2018 2200 TE

Happy thanksgiving everyone. I currently have a Power Tech 0FX4 in 20 pitch 4 blade on my Pathfinder with a 250 SHO.  Wide open I only see 5200 rpms and a top speed of 48 to 49. I have been reading through the threads and seems that a 19 pitch would match up better. Any insight if that is heading in the right direction? Thanks in advance for your help.

I owned a 2001 PF 2400V  with a F250 and ran a PowerTech OFX4 - 21 .... I did send it back and Marcus and he tuned it up a little but it would turn square on that Pathfinder.....5800 rpm was 58 mph. I probably could have got more speed with smaller prop, however the boat handled so well and shot out of the hole in shallow water....I loved it. 

Call Marcus at PowerTech and talk to him....he’s very knowledgeable and helpful and also owns the company. He will work with you every step to make sure you are happy. 

Have the same boat with a 200 SHO, use OFX4 17 & 18. See 50 mph with the 17 and 53 mph with the 18. Do you have a T-top? Run 2-3 on the jack plate and need to trim up pretty far for top speed. You should be able to get your rpm’s up higher with the 250 SHO and 20 pitch. My guess is you need to play around with your engine trim and find where it spins up

8 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

I owned a 2001 PF 2400V  with a F250 and ran a PowerTech OFX4 - 21 .... I did send it back and Marcus and he tuned it up a little but it would turn square on that Pathfinder.....5800 rpm was 58 mph. I probably could have got more speed with smaller prop, however the boat handled so well and shot out of the hole in shallow water....I loved it. 

Call Marcus at PowerTech and talk to him....he’s very knowledgeable and helpful and also owns the company. He will work with you every step to make sure you are happy. 

Thank you I will give !Marcus a call.

7 hours ago, NCTribute said:

Have the same boat with a 200 SHO, use OFX4 17 & 18. See 50 mph with the 17 and 53 mph with the 18. Do you have a T-top? Run 2-3 on the jack plate and need to trim up pretty far for top speed. You should be able to get your rpm’s up higher with the 250 SHO and 20 pitch. My guess is you need to play around with your engine trim and find where it spins up

No T top. I have played with the trim and jack plate. Mine seems to be real sensitive with the jack plate. You can’t run it at 3” it will trigger an alarm. Seems the low water pickup can’t get enough water when the jack plate is too high. I will keep trying though. Thank you for the information.

1 hour ago, Mad Beach Hewes said:

No T top. I have played with the trim and jack plate. Mine seems to be real sensitive with the jack plate. You can’t run it at 3” it will trigger an alarm. Seems the low water pickup can’t get enough water when the jack plate is too high. I will keep trying though. Thank you for the information.

What alarm are you referring to?  Low water pressure alarm or overheat alarm?  One is bad - the other would be worse.  Just a suggestion - it would be helpful if you could post a picture(s) of the motor and jack plate as they are mounted on the transom, to see things like which bolt holes are used, cavitation plate, setback, gap to keel, etc.  As previously said, a conversation with Marcus at PT Prop would be very helpful.

14 hours ago, geeviam said:

What alarm are you referring to?  Low water pressure alarm or overheat alarm?  One is bad - the other would be worse.  Just a suggestion - it would be helpful if you could post a picture(s) of the motor and jack plate as they are mounted on the transom, to see things like which bolt holes are used, cavitation plate, setback, gap to keel, etc.  As previously said, a conversation with Marcus at PT Prop would be very helpful.

Overheat alarm once you get around 3” at top speed. I will take some photos and post them on here soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mad Beach Hewes said:

Overheat alarm once you get around 3” at top speed. I will take some photos and post them on here soon.

Found a picture of your Pathfinder on your profile page.  Beautiful boat btw!  It looks like a 8" or 10" jack plate, with a 250 SHO with 20" shaft mounted in the 2nd hole.  If I'm not mistaken, the PF 2200 TE has a 25" transom, correct?  IMO, you may need to make some adjustments to your motor height in order to get the efficiency and speed you should be seeing with a 250 SHO - before you start trying different props.  To start with, your jack plate comes in two halves that can be unbolted, and the back half with the pump & actuator can be dropped down and attached again, to get the prop lower in the water.  You could also lower the motor to the top bolt hole as well, for even more help getting the short shaft lower into the water column.  After you do these things, you will have many more advantages.  More height adjustment with the JP, without losing water pressure.  More positive trim/tilt availability for bow lift and top speed.  Better slip numbers.  Better grip in turns, so you can get away with using a more high performance prop.

An Atlas jack plate adds 2" of built in motor height when retracted, before you even raise it.  That, along with a 20" short shaft motor, mounted on a 25" transom, limits your ability to maximize speed, performance and fuel economy.  However, lowering the mounting height of the motor as mentioned above, is a no-lose situation, because you still have the ability to raise your jack plate by 5" with the press of a button, anytime you want to!  Hope this helps.

MadBechHewesPFTE.jpeg

Our new 22 TRS with the 19 p OFX4 6000 rpm trimmed out 59 mph hole shot is awesome you want faster try a 21 p 3 blade tempest don’t mess with the jack plate all the new PF come this way with short shafts if you get a long shaft 25 inch they mount the jack plate higher  or no jack plate you have to run a long motor

91720118-A043-4053-A60B-112E2081AF9D.jpeg

4 hours ago, TerryS said:

Our new 22 TRS with the 19 p OFX4 6000 rpm trimmed out 59 mph hole shot is awesome you want faster try a 21 p 3 blade tempest don’t mess with the jack plate all the new PF come this way with short shafts if you get a long shaft 25 inch they mount the jack plate higher  or no jack plate you have to run a long motor

I did notice the jack plate is mounted lower on the transom than you would normally see, and that's better.  However, just because that's the way they come from the factory, doesn't mean it's the perfect setup that couldn't be improved.  Been there - fixed that.  With that much setback plus a pocket on the OP's rig, a motor with a low-water pickup on a high speed nose-cone, should not be sounding an alarm when the JP is raised to 3.  If nothing else is done, the motor should be dropped down to the top hole immediately, without question.  Also, if the OP is only reaching 48 MPH at 5200 RPM, and you are getting 59 MPH at 6000 RPM with the same model prop with just 1" less pitch, something is probably wrong with the OP's setup, or motor.