Catch of the day (pictures)

HoneyB

Catch of the day.  

This was a few years ago in Snake Bight Channel, Florida Bay.  We were running along and saw this guy...

Skimmer_Rescue.thumb.jpg.cf448f1b4ac3f28f24a4e766d8b49af0.jpg

That is a Black Skimmer.  I quickly realized that, 1) they don't swim and 2) this guy was drowning.  We quickly circled around and picked him up.  Is that beak sharp?  Yes it is!

Skimmer_Rescue_4.thumb.jpg.adfc86c4b3c6aeb783e1451ea67993d8.jpg

Skimmer_Rescue_5.thumb.jpg.f648cb0d46f4ee4a40fea7d92cf0c54d.jpg

Got him under control, toweled him off to dry his feathers and then released him.  We saw him fly around shaking off the remaining water, then he rejoined the flock.  That's him, second row up, third bird from the left😉

Skimmers_6.thumb.jpg.0cceea285184a2987c6102917ce44224.jpg

He had been entangled by monofilament line.  I am sure that everyone here knows the dangers of discarded line but please remind your friends and any less experienced fishermen to be careful and discard old line properly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, geeviam said:

Nice one Cleve!  How do you like that fly reel?  Just ordered a 7-8-9 for my son.

I’ve liked it, about a year in and it has held up well. It is not babied and lives it’s life being thrown around the boat or knocked around in transport without a cover.

That is the 7-8-9 as well on an 8weight. It is large for its size (but not THAT much heavier), has a massive sealed drag and a nice handle. All in all I think it is a great option for the $. I used 30lb backing as it has plenty of capacity and I bet that reel would stop anything out there.

I have many people that step on the boat used to using very high end reels that are all pleasantly surprised by it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SouthernWake said:

I’ve liked it, about a year in and it has held up well. It is not babied and lives it’s life being thrown around the boat or knocked around in transport without a cover.

That is the 7-8-9 as well on an 8weight. It is large for its size (but not THAT much heavier), has a massive sealed drag and a nice handle. All in all I think it is a great option for the $. I used 30lb backing as it has plenty of capacity and I bet that reel would stop anything out there.

I have many people that step on the boat used to using very high end reels that are all pleasantly surprised by it.

Awesome!  Thanks for the info.  Coincidently, it's going on my old Sage 8wt as well.