Houston Maverick

1990 MAV PLANNING ISSUE

I have read a lot about the need for a Jack Plate. I have a 1990 with a 2019 Yamaha 115 SHO and a 2" Jack Plate. I have the jack plate on the lowest setting and no matter how I trim and tilt the motor I can't get on plane. I have seen Mav's with Jack Plates and I'm trying to understand what I am doing wrong. I can get up on plan after some time and speed. Meanwhile It feels like a tractor pull and then when I get the front down the boat will start bouncing. Please help. Any advice would be great. 

Something is definitely off.   a 115 should be plenty to jump that boat up on plane.  I think the 1990 hull is the lighter version (is the front deck recessed or flat across?).   

5 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Post some pics of where the engine is mounted on the plate.  Also post pics and numbers of your prop.  This will help greatly.  

Are you using trim tabs?

dc

Here are some photos. The front deck is recessed above the tank. I have trim tabs but the pump doesn't work so they are in the up position which is flat with the bottom of the boat. I have the jack plate attached to the lowest setting and motor mounted on the lowest hole for the plate to motor connection. What gets me is that when I throttle to go the back of the boat drops and its like a tractor pull.  

62743617979__60B6C6C6-E6A2-4A44-B357-EF0FBC054F6D.thumb.jpg.e23a75473a0a89e107b3bd7a0de33517.jpg62743621816__49208E9B-3CAA-41F1-946A-3EDE48FD5174.thumb.jpg.cdba946ca7e85a2cfd2bfe95bd9938d7.jpgIMG_4570.thumb.jpg.e7e44e5bad45834194a864ec46b6ce4c.jpgIMG_4571.thumb.jpg.875777301472dbbfcc2c27353ef2afb8.jpgIMG_4574.thumb.jpg.a9532d73d1d85926aca46bf82a12f567.jpgIMG_4575.thumb.jpg.020c1946b888a6d930d663127aa4322b.jpgIMG_4577.thumb.jpg.4daaea8a8158a5d01f274419191d0e36.jpg

4 hours ago, Houston Maverick said:

I have trim tabs but the pump doesn't work so they are in the up position which is flat with the bottom of the boat

100% your problem for sure.....the MA's are very sensitive to weight and tabs.

Forget the pump and just buy a set of Bennet Electrics...they are nearly plug and play.....I changed mine in about 2 hours.  The holes fit directly into the same holes and they are super fast.

dc

Call the maker of the pump, they use to warranty them for life.  I sent a few bad pumps over the years to Bennett and they always sent me a new one.  That is if it is bad - you may want to check the dash switches as I have had those go bad as well.

I don't have this hull but it looks to me (Cant tell too well from the photo) like the engine could be mounted too high on transom. At least on my Hewes, (which also has a transom pocket) my anti-ventilation plate is about equal with the flat portion of the transom pocket and not the v of the hull. The boat really needs me to  trim the engine all the way down to come out onto plane or it'll porpoise like you mention. 

Hopefully someone with your hull can confirm where their anti vent plate is in reference to the transom to eliminate that as your possible problem. 

On 11/24/2020 at 7:50 PM, Toeknee217 said:

I don't have this hull but it looks to me (Cant tell too well from the photo) like the engine could be mounted too high on transom. At least on my Hewes, (which also has a transom pocket) my anti-ventilation plate is about equal with the flat portion of the transom pocket and not the v of the hull. The boat really needs me to  trim the engine all the way down to come out onto plane or it'll porpoise like you mention. 

Hopefully someone with your hull can confirm where their anti vent plate is in reference to the transom to eliminate that as your possible problem. 

I agree.  Hard to tell from those pics but it does appear too high.  

Your motor looks high to be all the way down. But it also looks like the jack plate is mounted in the top hole as well as the engine. I do not see how you could lower it with that jackplate short of drilling the boat again and I’m sure you do not want to do that.