23 hps prop issue

Stevenb

I just picked up my new-to-me 2016 hps with a 250 sho. I don’t think I’m getting the performance that I should be getting though. Jack plate all the way down I’m getting about 51-5200 rpm and 50 mph. Jack plate all the way up I’m getting 5700 ish rpm and maybe 52-53 mph. The boat has a hard top on it and there were 4 people and 30 gallons of gas. I’m thinking the prop is wrong on it though because I’m also getting fairly bad hole shot with a lot of bow rise. I took a pic of the prop below that came with it, I think it’s a 14.5x22 power tech. Anyone have any suggestions?

68F27442-598F-4D89-B407-191D6EE85F3F.jpeg

First, for sure you do not need those vent holes. Plug them. The SHO four strokes need no vents. You can absolutely improve you numbers. I am going to step out on a limb and say that prop is not a good match for your boat. I am sure you will get a ton of good prop advice specific to your setup here.  If you do a search on here you will find a lot of threads on good props for your HPS. 

The Barrel is small for a SHO but so is my Bravo 1 and it is the best preforming prop I have ever run.  If and "if" is the question the vents cause air to run across the blades "after" hole shot the prop will slip. I am not convinced that vent plugs would help either,  that's an observation that points to "That is not the prop that boat was originally rigged with"

IMHO....

• Like 1

I have a Bravo 1 FS 23.5 on my 2200 TRS with an upgraded SHO 200.  My thought for you would be a 21 or 22 maybe 20 because of your t top.

Ken can point you in a much better direction than you are at. The Bravo 1 props are not always the best all around prop. The HS4 is a good all around prop. I also have a Turbo FXP 22 three blade that is good. The Bravo 1 can be hard to steer and some people want more comfort at the helm. 

Merc. Bravo 1 FS in 22p will be really close...I could send one to the rev limiter pretty easily for 63 mph, with 1/2 tank of gas, 4 batteries and my trolling motor on the bow. I do not have a t-top though....I've ran 5 or 6 different Bravo's on my HPS, and I have yet to have one that's hard to steer, but that's just my experience.

There is a plastic ring that slips over the barrel of that prop there at the lower unit, which fills that gap in. I never had any luck getting the PT props to run all that well on my HPS....Like jh141 said, the Bravo FS has been the best all around prop I have ran on my boat. It does have thin blades and they tend to wear fast so keep that in mind. I tune my props up every year and consider it basic maintenance. I have a stock 23p that runs 65 mph or so, but again, I do not have a t-top. 

5 hours ago, Stevenb said:

Looks like I will add a Bravo 1 FS to the list of things to do. What’s the other stock prop that you were running Brad?

I don’t really run stock props, not to sound rude...I get as close as possible and then have them worked into what I want. 

I have tried dozens, too many to list here; Merc. Rev4, multiple FS’s in various pitch’s/configurations, ProMax, Apollo,  PowerTech’s, Hydromotive, etc. If that was you posting on the FB page about an HS4 in 23p, it’s too stiff for your boat. Forget what the performance bulletin says, you won’t turn it well with a stock engine and a hard top. A Bravo FS in 22 or HS4 in 21p will be really close. 

I just got a call, and my hard top is done. I’ll have to dial it all in again once it’s on and will report back when she’s satisfactory. Should be fun going from 69 mph to who knows how slow with that big ‘ol sail! 

57 minutes ago, BradM said:

I don’t really run stock props, not to sound rude...I get as close as possible and then have them worked into what I want. 

I have tried dozens, too many to list here; Merc. Rev4, multiple FS’s in various pitch’s/configurations, ProMax, Apollo,  PowerTech’s, Hydromotive, etc. If that was you posting on the FB page about an HS4 in 23p, it’s too stiff for your boat. Forget what the performance bulletin says, you won’t turn it well with a stock engine and a hard top. A Bravo FS in 22 or HS4 in 21p will be really close. 

I just got a call, and my hard top is done. I’ll have to dial it all in again once it’s on and will report back when she’s satisfactory. Should be fun going from 69 mph to who knows how slow with that big ‘ol sail! 

Sounds like the Bravo is just the route to go with this. My only reason to look into anything else was the longevity of the prop itself. I will add it to the laundry list of things to get, keep me updated when you do some testing with your new hard top, I'm curious to see what your numbers are.

17 minutes ago, Stevenb said:

Sounds like the Bravo is just the route to go with this. My only reason to look into anything else was the longevity of the prop itself. I will add it to the laundry list of things to get, keep me updated when you do some testing with your new hard top, I'm curious to see what your numbers are.

Nothing wrong with the HS4, I would just walk back the pitch from 23 to 21. 

I do not run a 2300 but my 2200TRS is pretty quick. I have run some of the props listed above by Brad. The Bravo1FS is probably the fastest I have run this far. I ran the Yamaha HS4 and found it to feel very much the same as the bravo in regards to the lift and handling while running the boat. I recently acquired a mercury Revolution 4 blade that I have not run as of yet. The inter web says it should be pretty quick. Yes my wife says I am a prop whore. At least I know there others out there worse than me :) 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, HoneyB said:

I do not run a 2300 but my 2200TRS is pretty quick. I have run some of the props listed above by Brad. The Bravo1FS is probably the fastest I have run this far. I ran the Yamaha HS4 and found it to feel very much the same as the bravo in regards to the lift and handling while running the boat. I recently acquired a mercury Revolution 4 blade that I have not run as of yet. The inter web says it should be pretty quick. Yes my wife says I am a prop whore. At least I know there others out there worse than me :) 

I know you're not calling me out! 🙃