Gelcoat colors for same model across many years

FooFoo502

Been trying to track down some OEM oyster white gel-coat for my 1994 17MA and came across some links here as to where others have bought different colors for their boats of varied years so contacted Spectrum Color and found they don't have Oster White for the 1994, but they do make an oyster white for 96-98 but only available in gallon sizes at $351.74. I Asked if they sold any smaller sizes as I only needed it for minor touch-up and overlay for fixed holes and maybe some oyster-bar burn on the keel but none of it would be close to a gallons worth. They were super attentive and responded the very next day with this:

Thank you for contacting Spectrum Color we do have a Maverick Oyster white but not for 96-98 we have
it in a patch paste kit for 12-14 our part number is F5510882K.

My question is, was the same oyster white formula used from 96 to 14? Or are there slight coloration variances that while close, would look like scabs out in direct sunlight. If anybody can give me input on this issue, I would be greatefull.

I usually mix my own gelcoat from pure white to match.  The "older" oyster white was a touch of black and a touch of yellow if my faded memory is correct.  A quart of white gel coat is about $25. A quart is a lot of touch ups and plenty to play to figure out  the color combo to match your hull.  The 05 oyster white is a simple white gel coat with a touch of brown pigment.

• Like 1

I have a 96 MA in oyster white. Spectrum is local to me so I took mine by their place and they put their meter on it and and it didn't match the current colors shown for oyster white but it did match a stock Grady White hull color perfectly that they keep in stock so I didn't have to have it custom mixed and just bought a quart of gel from them and thickened it up to make buy own repair paste from. I dont have the color handy but have it in my file. You could order their small patch kit paste and try them.

On 10/31/2020 at 7:56 PM, triplec said:

I have a 96 MA in oyster white. Spectrum is local to me so I took mine by their place and they put their meter on it and and it didn't match the current colors shown for oyster white but it did match a stock Grady White hull color perfectly that they keep in stock so I didn't have to have it custom mixed and just bought a quart of gel from them and thickened it up to make buy own repair paste from. I dont have the color handy but have it in my file. You could order their small patch kit paste and try them.

Can you send me the information on the Grady?  Do you have any left over ?

DC

10 hours ago, triplec said:

I have been looking for the can. I did have some left but its couple years old and shelf life is lousy on gel but I have another spot to check in shop tomorrow to see if I can find it.

thank you....i'm just looking for the color number....I went on the site and they have about 1/2 doz grady white colors.

dc

On 11/6/2020 at 4:42 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

thank you....i'm just looking for the color number....I went on the site and they have about 1/2 doz grady white colors.

dc

Took me a bit to locate it but here you go DC

Keep in mind my hull is a 96 with 800 hours and has lived in the AC garage the other 209,400 hours but Spectrum put their machine on it for me and said its perfect match for this gel and they were correct. 

DE834700-4BD7-477E-B45B-C6EF0322FFC7.jpeg

0C1F861D-F703-4539-BBFF-AE2379EF68B8.jpeg

E16E4839-9700-4356-B96D-2D0BA0114655.jpeg

• Like 1