Shrimp or Arties ?? What do you use, with A Special Video Tribute To The Lowly Shrimp

Wanaflatsfish

So, slowly but surely,  I am changing to  fishing purism, meaning only fish artificial or fly.  I want to be a minimalist like my buddy COTO.

As a shrimp - a - holic  and popping cork guy for over 17  years since I got my first flats skiff, it has been a long road....when fishing on my buddy's boat, COTO of the forum, shrimp are prohibited....only anything metal or plastic may be used to illicit the bite.

When we fish Chokoloskee in his boat, and we pass the bait store, my body tenses and hands begin to shake, my throat goes dry and my eyes water as I see the Everglades City bait shop fall into the distance out of the side view mirror.  Will he stop?  No, not even for a glimpse of the queen of Chokoloskee, the Bait Babe, Alina of Everglades City Bait Shop (in all seriousness, she has created a GREAT place to buy artificial or live bait) - and she's a bit cute as well so that helps.

So, give me your thoughts on what do you use and prefer....do we need to start a forum called - Shrimp-a-holics, please help us?

So, in fun, here's a video I made for my good fishing buddy, in tribute to the shrimp :)  BTW, it might take a moment load as it was on an iphone and pretty large..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was taught many years ago from a few of the greats how to hunt the fish in ENP and it entails using shrimp. Once we gain the confidence that we are in the right areas we switch it up for the challenge and fun. Plugs of many types, soft plastics etc.....

We are also match the hatch minded so I carry cast nets. 

In ENP There are so many options that I have learned to be very flexible. Going out in the gulf we cast net. Working the banks, points and passes we start with old faithful. Lots of wood around we are throwing plugs and soft plastics. Water up and fish buried in tight we are skipping soft plastics.

I always support my local tackle store. A stop by Dons is a must.

PS   Using Gulp is cheating.....same as live shrimp IMO   LOL

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Coto said:

Ditto

Oh, so now you are banning my gulps on your skiff ???

Am I supposed to use a bare hook with a strip of my T-Shirt :)

Do you not remember my famous words, as I pulled 4 reds out of a "secret spot"  before you got rigged up...tying so many fancy knots to your plastic thing-of-a-jigs :)

"It gives me no pleasure to catch these fish in front of you with these gulps"

LOL

Zoom conference calls are costing me a fortune:)

plasIMG_7928.thumb.jpg.8b952dca774c2b64e2e5e6a4bcfc1d4a.jpg

DC

plIMG_7892.jpg

• Like 1

Two weeks ago I fished with my buddy. He used shrimp I used artificial... came out even on keeper fish and I think I caught more shorts than him... he took time to rebait while I was casting. Last week same area same friend plus one guy the shrimp kicked my butt, and it was my dang boat!!! I will be headed out in the morning and plan to try the artificial vs live shrimp yet again. 

1 minute ago, HoneyB said:

Two weeks ago I fished with my buddy. He used shrimp I used artificial... came out even on keeper fish and I think I caught more shorts than him... he took time to rebait while I was casting. Last week same area same friend plus one guy the shrimp kicked my butt, and it was my dang boat!!! I will be headed out in the morning and plan to try the artificial vs live shrimp yet again. 

I did some similar tests and watched a few others. Seems you present your bait to way more fish with artificial, so you have the ability to get more bites. More fish will go after live bait when presented it so the numbers will be close to a wash. 

FYI 

The bait shop is expanding its operation .

Soon will have gas and a ramp with parking .

Going to be giving the bearded one a run for his money .

As far as fishing .

This weekend was the most insane two days of fishing in years .

Did not even unpack , goin right back in a few days .

Life is great !

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 6:20 PM, THE OUTLAW said:

FYI 

The bait shop is expanding its operation .

Soon will have gas and a ramp with parking .

Going to be giving the bearded one a run for his money .

As far as fishing .

This weekend was the most insane two days of fishing in years .

Did not even unpack , goin right back in a few days .

Life is great !

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

Awesome!

4 hours ago, Shallowminded6 said:

I did some similar tests and watched a few others. Seems you present your bait to way more fish with artificial, so you have the ability to get more bites. More fish will go after live bait when presented it so the numbers will be close to a wash. 

I thought so on week one. Trust me week two I got my *** kicked by the live bait... got the boat ready for round three in the morning !!!

People with artificials think they are the purest.

All I buy is a hook and float.

Catch my bait first. Shrimp, mullet or poggies. Then begin to catch fish.

So in reality who is really a purest or minimalist/purest.

But to be honest I do use artificials at times as a backup.

Kind of like deer hunting in SC. Is it really hunting if you sit over a corn pile vs, scouting walking and then setting up a stand.

4 hours ago, smilemaker said:

So in reality who is really a purest or minimalist/purest.

Oh, I forgot to consider.....where does a nice 2" piece of ladyfish on a 6/0 on the bottom qualify?

Live - errr no it's dead

Artifical - errrr...not plastic

Must be chunk category :)

Now if you add a bit of pro-cure stink to the ladyfish chunk or a spray of gulp juice on a live shrimp....is it a hybrid   :) 

dc