Anyone tow a 22te with a four door Jeep Wrangler?

ififish

I do not think the Jeep will do nearly as well as the F150.   I was following behind a guy pulling a boat not long ago on the turnpike, Probably a 23 foot but higher sided than a Pathy. As we were deciding to pass him I thought how I would hate to be him all white knuckled going down the highway.....He was pulling with a Jeep Wrangler. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My buddy tried "once"...never again...he had a 22 TE with a T top....he and his girlfriend decided they were going to spend the weekend in Key West....all was "ok" until the keys with constant stop and go traffic....on the highway you can sit at 50 mph in the high lane but once he hit the keys, he said it was a nightmare and pulling it over the seven mile bridge was white knuckles...

If you are only goin to the ramp a few miles away you can get away with it..but, anything with distance, I would get a good F150 truck or something of your choice in pick up with towing capacity.

DC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do this all the time around town in Panama City beach getting up to 45 mph. 2015 4 door Jeep pulling a 2004 22TE. It pulls and stops it fine. For long trips we pull it with the Armada not necessarily for pulling capability but room in the vehicle for kids and stuff. Anything below interstate speed and you are more than fine.  The interstate may be ok but I haven’t tried it and probably won’t. 

I have to agree with all the comments advising towing with a truck. As a past Jeep owner, They are to light to handle a boat! The weight, Engine size, wheelbase on a truck is suited for towing. I had a 2005 Dodge Ram V-6 tow capacity was 4500#.I then bought a 2020 Chevrolet Silverado with a small V-8 Tow Capacity of 11000#. ( I plan on long distance fishing trips). This is more of a safety issue versus if it can pull it. Going up a hill will be a strain, going down hill either road or bridge , Your boat will try to pass you! The safety of yourself, those with you as well as anyone around you are in jeopardy. Just looked up tow capacity of Jeeps and the max average tow capacity of a Jeep is 2000# Just my opinion though....David

Sometimes I pull my 21 YF with my wifes Jeep Gladiator.  I think the tow rating on the Gladiator is a quite a bit higher than the Wrangler though.   Pulled it from Savannah to NC on 95 and quite comfortably. My F350 dually with the 7.3 would be a better choice but no issues with the jeep. 

As a past Jeep Wrangler owner  it didn’t take long to figure out that J-E-E-P stands for Just Empty Every Pocket! The reason they made a intake snorkel was for those that slide down the ramp launching their boat and the Jeep ends up being the largest livewell! This might sound undoable but as a very young man I launched my 24 ft offshore with my father in laws little Nissan pick up. I to this day 40 years later can still remember the noise it made as the truck hit the very end of the ramp, floated for a couple of seconds before sinking hanging only by the trailer tongue. The laughter coming from the restaurant next to the ramp was the second thing I heard! My father in laws face was priceless!