18 master angler with 300 etec

18master

Bold project, with plenty of power!  Anxious to hear how she performs.  I'm not sure where the fuel tank is on this model - but if it's in the forward hatch, and you plan to add a trolling motor, my advice is - keep the batteries in the center console or aft of the console.  Batteries, fuel and TM, all in the bow, will be too nose-heavy and you won't get enough of the hull out of the water for peak performance and fastest speeds.  The good thing about Evinrude, is they have some sporty props to choose from.  The Raker HO would be my first choice to try on this rig.  Good luck, and stay safe - wear a life vest and a kill switch lanyard!  Yeah, maybe the goggles and helmet for the first few runs too, LOL!

• Like 1

Wow, you are doubling what that hull is rated for.   Aluminum plate will probably keep the transom in one piece, but how well supported is it from twisting (i.e. full throttle torque pulling the top of the transom backwards)?   That is a massive amount of engine for that hull.

Also, keep in mind that these boats were made to be light.  There isnt a lot of fiberglass on the bottom of the hull relative to bay or offshore boats.  Unless you reinforced the entire hull, you are putting a lot of pressure on an area not originally designed for it.   A 300 would easily move you 80 mph if my old 150 moves me 55.   Thats scarey fast and any chop is going to beat on it.   It would really stink to develop spidercracks around the chines after all that work.

Biggest worry in general use would be squat.   How much more does that weigh than the 150 2s the boat was designed for?   You may find that with a guy in the back and nobody up front, you make a very fast submarine!   

All teasing aside, I am no engineer, so you have probably worked through all of this.  That hull is plenty fast with a 150 or 175 on it.  Putting more may compromise the thibgs that hull does so well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dabear said:

Let’s make bets how fast that 18 master angler will go . Those Master Anglers have never been known for speed . I say 62-65 mph on a GPS fishing ready . 

You might be close on that. I think thats about what the "new" redfisher does with a 300 which looks a lot like an MA hull. 

But...there are those that like to modify the classics and go fast...have ya seen this one JR Customs of Islamorada did? Got a few ponies on her too 🐎

Screen_Shot_2020-10-19_at_8_12.52_PM.png

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

the biggest factor for its top end will be if it has a pad or a pocket on the transom.  a pad will allow it to get up and go. not sure how bad it will chine walk 

I am fairly sure the 89 had a flat transom with a very shallow pocket without a pad . Maybe 18shallow will post a few pictures of the rear bottom of the boat so everyone can see it . 

• Like 2