Nearshore Port Canaveral

johnd

a bit more wind (west) than anticipated, but such beautiful weather and with the 'new' Pathy took a 20 mile run along the beach yesterday.  Water was dirty!  Unlike just a few weeks ago, we didn't find any large schools of mullet.  Could only net a few and they were big.. ended up catching crokers for live bait.  Since we couldn't find much in the way of mullet 'run', fished outflows off the beach with jigs.  Jacks and a few small ladyfish.  Even tried live baiting around the north jetty and didn't find Snook or Reds.  Short version: slow!  Lots of the charter guys where nearshore looking like they were bending clients rods on Sharks.

Really liked how the Pathy ran and rode. With two of us and the bait well filled was a bit slower to plane.. almost thinking different prop?  Lots of room for two to fish, 7 rods - love the vertical rod holders in the console. Baitwell kind of a pain since previous owner put on poling platform, have to reach under platform to lift lid.  (Thinking adding some kind of d ring or something so easier to lift hatch.  Ideas?)  Need something better than a bucket for cast net as there is no room a bucket will store.  The new Seadek on the forward 'seat' area is really nice to step down from bow, no slip.  Bright sunshine, still need to get a bimini for days like yesterday.  

Dry bags from walmart is what i store mine in. Found it on a thread here a while back. They are in camping section and less than $10. I just wash and hang it before I put it in otherwise Im sure it will be extremely gamey smelling. Ya was tough down here today as well. Small mullet seem to be way back in the mangroves and hard to get. The extreme high tides we have been having dont help any with it. The run ended much earlier this year than years past. Post a pic, Im sure the creative minds here will have an answer for it. 

A bag was exactly my plan for cast net.  Buddy brought his in a bucket.. funny though, I had already pulled a bag out and was on my porch to load.  Not sure if the run has ended or we just need another blast of cold weather up north to give them a push.  If it's over, was really quick this year.  

Still not sure about bait well lid - too much going on right now - so back to that project in the near future.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, johnd said:

A bag was exactly my plan for cast net.  Buddy brought his in a bucket.. funny though, I had already pulled a bag out and was on my porch to load.  Not sure if the run has ended or we just need another blast of cold weather up north to give them a push.  If it's over, was really quick this year.  

Still not sure about bait well lid - too much going on right now - so back to that project in the near future.  

I agree its short if it is over, heard someone say only 2 weeks this year which would be about right. But really short for our normal, hope it isnt done. Post a pic of the lid and can try snd figure it out. 

agree its short if it is over, heard someone say only 2 weeks this year which would be about right. But really short for our normal, hope it isnt done. Post a pic of the lid and can try snd figure it out.

No - first small groups started in late Aug.  Sept plenty, but so much wind not often we could get out.  Two or 3 weeks ago we found school must have been 200 yards across.  It's now mid-Oct, should be ending.  

out of town a bit, will post photo when I get back.  Thanks.. ideas will be welcome