Power Pole installation questions.

Wahoossi

I have been waiting almost 6 weeks now for the iPilot Terrova Riptide I ordered to not to even be given an estimated delivery date. I actually fell overboard trying to set my Stick It anchor in a rapid current and hard bottom ( lost the Stick it, my new Olukai’s and my favorite daily carry knife, and almost much more). I decided to buy an 8 foot Pro Power Pole for my 16 Redfisher. 
I have one on my bay boat and have had several over the years but was going to try to limit the number of added on stuff to my Redfisher but I should be able to get it next week and install it next weekend. It seems to rain every weekend here in SE Georgia anyway so it will give me something to do. I have always had them installed on my boats but I think will try it myself this time to expedite things and to  $ave. I  have a couple of questions for Redfisher owners with Power  Poles:

1) where did you put the C- Monster pump?  I am planning on putting the PP on the starboard side ( 2008 Redfisher) and I was thinking of putting the pump under the access plate in the splash-well.  My boat has a large rectangular access plate and I can easily work in there , pass the wires  to the battery in the starboard storage compartment easily . The tubing can go from the PP through existing rigging access port to the pump. Alternatively I could put the pump in the starboard storage compartment, but storage is limited on these little boats. I need all I can get. 

2) What is the best way to determine the optimal placement of the PP on the transom? What did you guys do, mark the waterline, measure above a certain amount? 

3) I plan on putting it on the transom, but have a lot of you guys used the motor mount to avoid  drilling holes ? https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/power-pole-boat-adapter-plate-kit-pk-m-5-6-s-blk-starboard-black?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp1085656&sc_intid=1085656&gclid=CjwKCAjwlID8BRAFEiwAnUoK1SZu7FWazV2eqRrRm_CCcPf8-28N4mAKfTWxhTmizQ9ZoXRjZ3siIRoCJNIQAvD_BwE

Thanks

13 hours ago, Wahoossi said:

was thinking of putting the pump under the access plate in the splash-well.

Don't do this....you don't want a hydraulic pump in a wet location

could put the pump in the starboard storage compartment, but storage is limited on these little boats.

yes

2) What is the best way to determine the optimal placement of the PP on the transom? What did you guys do, mark the waterline, measure above a certain amount? 

Most put it up as high as possible so the bolts are out of the water when possible.

BTW, you will need another stick it....with power poles, you will find that you something to keep the boat from swaying in the current.

I have two on my MA 17.

dc

I will post pictures when I am done. Unless it looks really bad :). Thanks Dino for the advice. My research also confirms put the motor in the driest spot possible. I also found a post on THT where Mercury doesn’t allow or condone (void warranty?) attaching anything to the motor, like a motor mount. I saw a video on YouTube where a guy attached the motor mount to a 90 Yamaha without removing the engine, just removing one bolt and loosening the other http://youtu.be/77WZi202Ffg . I am not sure I am up for all that anxiety however,  think I am more comfortable drilling a couple of holes in the transom and running the hydraulic tubing through the mount into the transom as well. If I have everything in the starboard storage it will simplify things greatly. No awkward running of wires and tubing or kinking of tubing . There is no foam back there to get wet as far as I can recall. I still may chicken 🐔 out and get a pro to do it. Maybe I can talk Hobo to come out of retirement and give me a hand, he only lives a few miles away from me and I am his physician ! 

I mounted one on my friends kew west this summer. He bought the mounts for behind the motor as not to drill holes in his boat. I would likely use the mounting plates rather than drill more holes but it will ad some cost for the additional bracket. 

yes tuck the pump as far away in that box as you can. it will not be in the way as much as you think it will. I do have a 2001 16 Hewes with a power pole. if you need pics or measurements shoot me a message. it was on the boat when i bought the bought it, it is mounted to the back of the boat. 

4 hours ago, Wahoossi said:

Maybe I can talk Hobo to come out of retirement and give me a hand, he only lives a few miles away from me and I am his physician ! 

Holy Hobo...why didn't you say this from the start....tell him next time you give him a physical you won't be so gentle (you know where) if he doesn't come out and help you....if you access to the BEST RIGGER IN THE SOUTHEAST....Doc....leverage leverage leverage that relationship :)

Hobo can rig these things in his sleep :)

ken and I used to chat all the time....I need to catch up...he's been enjoying his grandson and shooting up the South East at the target ranges from last time I spoke with him.

DC

• Like 1

2002 16ft RF installation:  I mounted my 8ft PP on the starboard side using the mounting bracket and spacer plate that goes between the engine and transom.  The pump assembly got mounted in the starboard storage locker, forward inboard corner.  Easy wiring there and I installed the inline switch by the battery.  Tubing routed through the splash well flex boot along with all the steering, fuel and engine wiring.  Makes for tidy, space efficient and convenient installation.

The engine mounted bracket and spacer installation can be accomplished without removing the engine completely, but it can be tricky getting sufficient sealant between the bracket / spacer plate and the transom.  To do it, take off the lock nuts (outer nuts) and back the inner nut off to the end of the mounting bolts.  Next, rock the engine back and forth to break the seal between the engine and transom.  Once the engine moves, trim the engine down and place the skeg on some wide (stable) lumber scrap pieces to support the engine. Once the engine is stable, rock the engine away from the transom to the end of the mounting bolts.  Next, you can remove the nuts ON ONE SIDE, drive the bolts towards the transom until there is clearance to insert the bracket / spacer plate.  Use some quality silicone sealant and do whatever you can to get sufficient sealant on the transom around the bolt holes.  Push the bracket / spacer onto the transom and reinstall the first nuts.  Repeat on the other side.  Slide/ rock the engine back towards the transom and seriously torque down the nuts, install the lock (second nut) and torque those down as well.  

The easier way is to borrow / rent a portable engine lift and fully remove the engine, backing it away from the transom off the mounting bolts.  Makes it much easier to get plenty of sealant around the bolts.

• 1 year later...