2300 HPS, is it really that much better?

Stevenb

I just sold my Hewes and will be looking to move into the bay boat game here shortly. Initially I was planning on going with a Pathfinder 22 until I started doing more research on the 23 HPS. That would make me boatless for quite a few more months though while I save towards the difference. So I guess my question is, is the 23 HPS really 10-15k better than the 22? I primarily fish inshore but will be looking to do more offshore runs in the 30 mile range as well as frequent Keys trips.

Is it that much more with the same power? It shows to be a foot longer and is stepped and has a bustle so it's probably fast but I haven't been on one.

I bought a 2400 TRS a couple of months ago and considered a 2500 HPS. It's a nice boat but for what I wanted to do the extra cost just didn't work out. There's no day I would go out in the 25 that I wouldn't in the 24. It's just me and one other most of the time so the 24 is perfect. 

That said I did look at ads for 2300's and 2200's and would have been fine with either had the deal been right on the right boat.

If you have a family or like to take more than a couple people out, the 23 is probably not the boat for you. It's more geared towards fishing than passenger comfort. With that being said, it's just me, my wife and my 5 y/o son, so our 23 is perfect for us. We do have the removable back seat which is accommodating, but not great for long rides or cruises. If you fish a lot, the layout is hard to beat! It's fast, handles well and efficient on fuel! It also likes to ride  on top of the water versus in through the water, if that makes sense. I see a lot of people here and on Facebook assuming that because their 22' or 24' liked this prop, the 23' will too, and that's not exactly true....at all. They're entirely different in how they run and where they run. For instance, a 22' rides fine at 25 mph and is content. The 23 HPS can do it, but she's not happy. She is on plane, but heavy in the water and discontent. She wants to get up into the mid 30's and be up on top of the water. I run the St. Johns river in Jacksonville, FL a lot and can handle a solid 2'-3' chop at close period at 40 mph. The boat is long enough to span the peaks and rides across the top just fine. Slow down and make it push, and it's miserable. Like any boat, pick your days and your 95% of the time use. I clear the inlet about once every 5 years, so it's perfect for what I do, which is fishing up as shallow as I can and covering a lot of water quickly. 

In my opinion, the ride of the 23' is better, not dramatically better the the 22'. I got to fish on one for several days in September in varied conditions. The 23' also gave me more confidence in moving around in 2-3' seas. With the 250, my fishing world seemed to get smaller, everything seemed closer. The 23' is a step up over the 22' IMHO.

• Like 1

When I bought in 2013, I looked at both the 22 and 23. The 23 seemed to be laid out better with easy access to everything. I do all my own maintains with the exception of the engine and access is really important. Brad is right about the speed. The 23 rides much better at 35mph then 25mph and with the right prop will run in the low to mid 60 mph range. If you measure the 23 from end to end, it is exactly 24 ft. long, so maybe that helps with the ride. 

The only thing I don't like about my 23 is that the steering wheel is in the center of the console. I think they have changed that, and now the steering wheel is on the left, like we are use to. Other than the steering wheel, I have ZERO complaints about any aspect of my 23 HPS.  

I have the 22 TRS. I considered the 23 HPS when I was buying. For me it was just a little to big. I spend most of my time on the trolling motor and boat control is key. I also fish tight narrow canals and 24' is a little long. The 23 is faster ( well until I did my upgrade ) and rides a "little" better. If you mainly fish and are in open bays, or just not in tight quarters a lot, the 23 HPS is worth the extra money.

I have the 23 and fish Tampa Bay. I cover a ton of ground pretty much every time I fish and it gets pretty nasty some days. It's been a while since I spent any significant amount of time on the 22, but it's a perfect boat for open water, but will also maneuver very easily. Is it $15,000 better? Probably not, but I was able to get a good deal that basically had me spending ~ $5,000 or less more than what I would have paid for a similar age/hours 22. I'm extremely happy with my decision, and so is my wife who was tired of riding through Tampa Bay in the flats boat lol

I've had 4 MBG boats... a 2000v, 18 Redfisher, 22 Tournament and a 2300 HPS. In my opinion (own a different brand now so not cheerleading)  the  ride of the 23HPS  in rough water is head and shoulders above the 22 and its not close.  Real world speed difference was about 5-7 mph.  The room on the 2300 is nice as well. Cant make the call on the $$$ difference....personal preference. 

I've had 4 as well.  An 18.5 master, a 22, a 24, and now a 2600.  while they have all generally ridden with the same pedigree, there is no doubt that maverick has continually taken steps to improve both the rides and layouts.  I can't speak for the 23 but the 26 with the step is just night and day from a 24.  While I agree with you that it makes little difference on which days I choose to go out, it has made huge differences coming in a few times.  I'd say try to run both, the step on the 26 just keeps the bow down so nice, while also making the boat faster and more efficient.  Faster also equals dryer, which is a big deal.

I fish on a 23 , all the time .

That boat is a fishing machine .

Every detail is centered around fishing .

From the small console with wide walkways and storage galore .

That boat , with the 250 SHO runs square , through the whole RPM range .

Turns on a dime with no blowout whatsoever and handles fairly rough conditions well .

All in all if you fish HPS .

If alot of people TRS .

Just my opinion .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️ 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any noticeable difference in draft between the 22 and the 23 in draft both while running and while on the trolling motor? How about draft needed when getting on plane in skinny water? I have a 2200V now and have considered the 23 but would not want to give up the ability's to fish some of the shallow areas I spend most of time on chasing reds.

There is no real difference in draft that would matter on plane or not. Like SCFD said trolling motor runs out of water before the boat. He has a 23 I have a 22. I can not say my 22 would get on plane any shallower than a 23. Sounds like for your area and type of fishing you would be all Pro and no Con. 

18 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

Shallow water starts is just a matter of jack plate up, tabs down, tail tucked in and the balls to floor it.

True,   With my latest upgrade and Prop I can get that done in short order, but my setup is a bit out of the ordinary. Most factory setup 2200s and 23 HPSs with the jack plate full up will blow out before ever getting on plane.  Back in the days in our little 16' or so skiffs we would go in circles to create a wake and use it to quickly pop on plane. We would never do that today, WE have learned far to much about our environment.  Back to Blackacre's question though no difference getting on plane between the two boats.

7 hours ago, blackacre said:

Is there any noticeable difference in draft between the 22 and the 23 in draft both while running and while on the trolling motor? How about draft needed when getting on plane in skinny water? I have a 2200V now and have considered the 23 but would not want to give up the ability's to fish some of the shallow areas I spend most of time on chasing reds.

I can’t answer that specifically, but can tell you the 23, well equipped, is not a 12” boat. I push pretty hard into the shallows and it won’t get where my old 19’ would, which was a measured 11.5” light and 12” with full fuel and inshore tackle. The. 23’ will get up in 2’ of water with empty wells, tabs down, plate up and motor tucked. As for speed and handling, there is nothing like it in its class that I know of.... It’s quick, fast, nibble and fuel efficient.