Sebastian/Wabasso/North Vero

Took advantage of the wind/lack there of with a late AM trip. Was able to get an inshore slam within an hour. Trout was small, but it counts! Lost a few large over slot snook and caught a slot 24” red along with a smaller one. Released everything as I read there was a large amount of fecal bacteria in the Vero area. Was fun all the same and caught a bunch of fish. 

BC92DAD5-02ED-45EB-921A-35C4D4342227.jpeg

0AF45EF5-75FA-4258-9E7D-65D3635B09DB.jpeg

204D84EC-7CD1-4597-9952-075E01DDD3E3.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Flounder are being caught but not in large numbers most are in the 2-3 lbs range on muds or fingers. Black drum are everywhere with most fish being over the 24 inch slot. Last day of snook season which is a good thing as the fish need a break from the constant pressure. Pompano on the beach when the wind allows for clean water.

3 hours ago, DaveVero said:

Flounder are being caught but not in large numbers most are in the 2-3 lbs range on muds or fingers. Black drum are everywhere with most fish being over the 24 inch slot. Last day of snook season which is a good thing as the fish need a break from the constant pressure. Pompano on the beach when the wind allows for clean water.

I havent gotten out in about a month due to family reasons but hopefully this week or next. You getting the flounder around the inlet? This next cold front should push them in more. The drum in the river or beach? Cant wait to get back out there. 

The flounder are in the inlet both North and South sides. You need to catch fingers along A1A and bring them to the inlet. The flounder sit close to the rocks . it is just a slow type of fishing but potentially could pick up an 8lbs fish. The drum are running the beach getting ready to move into the river. Just fish the mouth of the inlet with mixture of fleas, shrimp and fish bytes if you have them. standard dropper rig works great. Good luck and just ask if you need help with the inlet as that is where I fish .

• Thanks 1

Camped a couple of times at Long Point now and enjoy that area (live over in ORL). Found a little snapper spot on a spoil island  and a trout spot in the fall when water is deeper. As you can tell I fish with kids. Headed over there after Xmas if you have any general suggestions on trout, snapper, basically any eager to bite type fish areas. 

Depending on the age of the kids you could wade fish the tide pool for Flounder.  There is usually a few there using mullet near the west rocks. Check for the high tide and get there on the tide change to high. Mangos are gone at the inlet but some still in the river. if u have a boat look for diving birds just north of the inlet and you will catch your share of small jacks.. If you are going to the beach look for fleas and bonnet heads are everywhere- may be fun and may catch some palmetto and pampano. Heard that there are small tarpon in the mangroves leading to Longpoint but not confirmed.

On 12/19/2020 at 11:07 AM, DaveVero said:

Depending on the age of the kids you could wade fish the tide pool for Flounder.  There is usually a few there using mullet near the west rocks. Check for the high tide and get there on the tide change to high. Mangos are gone at the inlet but some still in the river. if u have a boat look for diving birds just north of the inlet and you will catch your share of small jacks.. If you are going to the beach look for fleas and bonnet heads are everywhere- may be fun and may catch some palmetto and pampano. Heard that there are small tarpon in the mangroves leading to Longpoint but not confirmed.

Awesome update!! Thanks for keeping this section alive as there doesnt seem to be many of us here. Im still land locked doing projects on the property. But hope to be out soon. Hope you keep tight lines and can keep the reports up!

Here is the latest update- A lot of Cubera snappers moved into the inlet. Most are holding near structure. Fish are in the 4-12 LBs range. Biting on live sprimp and pins. Reds are hit or miss depending upon the weather- cold water pushes them to the inlet. Black drum has been slow- not sure why unless their annual run is over. Spanish Macs are there and will want greenies which if you find bait you will catch fish. Sheepies are good using fleas and fiddler again around structure, Pampano on the beach has been slow. There are a few being caught in the river but beach fishing has not been great. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaveVero said:

Today the black drum showed up. The cold weather makes them run towards the river where the water is warmer than the ocean. Snook (closed) are biting right before dark on live shrimp. The sheepies are around the structure. Northwest wind makes things happen.

Hoping if the weather works out, will fish Friday. Have the black drum been schooling shallow or deeper around the structures?

The black drum are in the deeper water at the mouth of the inlet.  They are hitting a combo of shrimp and fleas on the hook. School of blacks seem to move in and out depending on tides. Most fish are 24- 30 inch fish so a pretty good fight on light tackle. I am not a fish eater but black drum are one of the better eating fish even if they are one of the ugliest. Really hard to clean without a super sharp knife.

• Like 1

Was at long point for a few days right before the new year. Wind was howling! Crossed the River the first afternoon and found some trout, a tiny grouper and other assorted fish on my favorite spoil island. Second day howling even more...only went out in the afternoon. fished deep areas near long point. Too windy, had 5 kids on board, and we took the puppy on her first boat ride so rough water wasn’t a good idea. Found snapper, trout, lady fish, a cat or two and a mess of croakers. Son caught a small sheepshead and another kid caught a juvenile black drum. Kids had fun fishing and that’s all that matters. All on dead and live shrimp. I have never baited hooks so dang fast. Thanks for all the hints. Wish we coulda hit the inlet. 

8 hours ago, brew1891 said:

Was at long point for a few days right before the new year. Wind was howling! Crossed the River the first afternoon and found some trout, a tiny grouper and other assorted fish on my favorite spoil island. Second day howling even more...only went out in the afternoon. fished deep areas near long point. Too windy, had 5 kids on board, and we took the puppy on her first boat ride so rough water wasn’t a good idea. Found snapper, trout, lady fish, a cat or two and a mess of croakers. Son caught a small sheepshead and another kid caught a juvenile black drum. Kids had fun fishing and that’s all that matters. All on dead and live shrimp. I have never baited hooks so dang fast. Thanks for all the hints. Wish we coulda hit the inlet. 

Awesome!! Glad you guys did well and the kidos had fun. I will say I cant remember there being less water in months. I hit bottom in areas I never have hand an issue!

The fishing is about to change. White shrimp from the ocean are moving through the inlet. Never seen it like this where people are catching limits throwing nets not at night. We have thrown nets a mile off and got limits but not in the inlet during the day. The bait which has been scarce should bring fish in. Winds are changing also so water clarity will improve. Good luck.

On 1/3/2021 at 8:25 PM, DaveVero said:

The fishing is about to change. White shrimp from the ocean are moving through the inlet. Never seen it like this where people are catching limits throwing nets not at night. We have thrown nets a mile off and got limits but not in the inlet during the day. The bait which has been scarce should bring fish in. Winds are changing also so water clarity will improve. Good luck.

I did see a good amount of boats throwing nets in the chanel close to the inlet. Have to do some electrical work, but going to try and do some hopefully soon