Newbie Needs RF18 Advice

GeeDub

Moving back to Southport NC (Wilmington NC area) after a 6 year absence. Had a 22 ft. Bay Boat previously but I am thinking I want to downsize to a RF18 to hit the sweet spot of easy load/unload, storage in the garage, wider beam than most flats boats and fishability in shallow water. I fish inshore 95% of the time and happy doing that. Looked at other makes/models and the RF 18 seems to fit the bill. 

The only concern I have is the need to cross the Cape Fear River to get to fishing grounds. Not an every trip occurrence but I don't want to give that up - willing to choose my days. 

Any suggestions on suitability of the RF18?   

Im not familiar with the area you're concerned with but within the 18' range the Redfisher is one of the larger (18'10") wider, heavier options like you mention. All of which would arguably lead to a better ride in rougher water. If you're looking at older boats a Master angler always gets extremely high regards in the ride department. 

On 10/1/2020 at 5:27 PM, GeeDub said:

Moving back to Southport NC (Wilmington NC area) after a 6 year absence. Had a 22 ft. Bay Boat previously but I am thinking I want to downsize to a RF18 to hit the sweet spot of easy load/unload, storage in the garage, wider beam than most flats boats and fishability in shallow water. I fish inshore 95% of the time and happy doing that. Looked at other makes/models and the RF 18 seems to fit the bill. 

The only concern I have is the need to cross the Cape Fear River to get to fishing grounds. Not an every trip occurrence but I don't want to give that up - willing to choose my days. 

Any suggestions on suitability of the RF18?   

I have owned a RF18 2003, then a Pathfinder 22V 2005 until 2012, then in 2015 I bought a 1999 Pathfinder 17T, sold it in 2018 and bought a MA17 a 1995.

This by far is my favorite skiff of all time...I will never sell her as the ride is equal to a 22PF22, but more nimble.

All above, with the exception of a 17T draft about the same......10" - 12" fully loaded which is fine for me.

The RF18 is a good boat, but, the 18MA or 17MA will be a better skiff to cut a hard chop.

There are some MA17's that come up, but, they are not easy to find.....the only other option in that size, is a 1806 Pathfinder which is a great boat, but, hard to find...

Enjoy the search.....and bring ideas here....many of us have a lot of exprience and are happy to share.

dc

• Like 1

I have a RF 18 and have ridden on a friends MA.  I fish around Wilmington and in the Cape fear fairly often as of late.  I will agree that it's hard to beat the MA for riding in chop, but I have no doubt that the RF18 will scoot across the Cape Fear without issue on most days, just slow down when those tankers come by. 

I've traversed some hairy seas over the past couple of years on my RF18.  No issues with the exception of white knuckles.  As mentioned above, slow down a little and you'll be just fine!  Be a "prudent mariner" and go with your gut on what you'd like to purchase.  Can't go wrong with any of the suggestions mentioned.  BTW, LOVE my RF18!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry I'm late to this thread. We've had two RF18s (2013/2018) and loved them both. Now running a 21 Cobia Bay and I miss the skinny water capability and poling the RFs. I'm not failiar with the water way you mentioned. For us it's crossing Tampa Bay or crossing Florida Bay on the way to Flamingo. The RF's handled these waterways very well when the wind was blowing or boat traffic had things churned up.  I loved finding that sweet spot running into the wind passing guides in Hells Bays coming back from Flamingo. The Hewes is also a great bait carrying machine with the two optional livewells.

Only reason we went to the Bay boat was we went from garage storage to wet slip and I just couldn't bring myself to bottom paint a Hewes. That and those darn grandkids lol

Best of luck,

G

glen.jpg.7887d4d63afff1b2fe0d56ac1e88c1ec.jpg

IMG_4587.JPG.df99c0d10a7d3fb5b68c9a313807a228.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG.aefea8356771cba2b2e36796e3f7312d.JPG