Even a blind squirrel finds a nut - Chokoloskee Adventures Capt Don and Dino

So,

Capt Don and I finally had our schedules sync.  Capt Don has been up in Titusville a lot looking for record redfish and fishing up in Palm Beach in search of giant snook.

We decided to get out on the water early...met at the WAWA at 0430 and we were off....

Arrived at Chokoloskee about 615 and the boat ramp was already cranking...we heard there was the Romp in the Swamp Tourney.  Great :(

the plan was to head to the back in the a.m. until about 1030. Then  once the high up front on the Chatham began to drop, fish the Chatham area and then about 130 pm head to the back and catch the outgoing.

Well the plan in the morning worked....we fished multiple areas at at each spot we found snook, trout, the cats and ladies....by 1000 hr, we had 10-12 snook to the boat..we were fishing gulps and DOA's

We went to the front and found the water y0-hoo color....went to several spots and we could not find any moving water...we moved 4 times and ended up around New Turkey and the tide had completely stalled...the West Wind began and it was rocking....ugggh...so much for plan A go to plan B

Back to the ENP Waterways via the Chatham and off into the bays to look for moving water.

We found moving water and more snook :) It was time for lunch - hotdogs and pickles - hooooyaaaah !!!

After lunch it was getting super hot we we put on our cooling wraps  - Don was in orange and mine in green....wow !!! what a difference...put them in ice for 2min and then wrap on the neck...it was like we were ready to go again !!!

We decided to go to a spot we fished just about a year earlier.  

Fishing a white DOA style with a chartreuse tail on a z-man jig head with green eyes and we were working a spot.....slam bam and it was off to the races.

Good work with Don on the net and she came to meet us...

Capt Don took out the IGFA official BOGA grip and he weighed 8.5 lbs....

Here is Don ......

flamingo_day-1-4.thumb.jpg.005f70e9ff97ae6b33eddaab38af69b2.jpg

After the weigh in I got to say hello...

1685396674_flamingoday-1-3.thumb.jpg.101c81c807cb27c7db67f7057c36768a.jpg

As they say, it only takes one fish to make the day...

it was getting late and hot so we decided to try one last spot......

We moved across the bay and found a pumpkin on a point....it had the most orange coloring that I had ever seen in the back....

I bought the wrong Gulps on line - i bought the 5" when i thought it was the 4"....I called them Jurrasic gulps and was not sure they would work...I was wrong...

here is Don with his pumpkin as they say in Lousiana -- note the color coordinated orange neck cooler and pumpkin red :)

flamingo_day-1-5.thumb.jpg.2f8bbb5b27917dcb7855ba157b18963f.jpg

a great day  with a great friend...

Until the next adventure........

dc

• Like 3

Mike and I had a stellar day as well--more snook than we could count.  It's really encouraging to see such numbers--most were between 14" and 20" or so, so if we get this water thing straight the future looks bright.  Like Outlaw, I was fortunate to have a rather rare inshore grandslam yesterday.  Was missing the trout unit the way back in when we stopped at the mouth of a creek.  Tied on a Mirrolure Lil John in watermelon/red glitter and the slam was complete.  The tarpon ate a Catch 2000 "purple demon".  It was a juvie, but still fun.  Several slot size reds, a snapper or two and a chunky jewfish also gave us some tugs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Dave said:

Mike and I had a stellar day as well--more snook than we could count.  It's really encouraging to see such numbers--most were between 14" and 20" or so, so if we get this water thing straight the future looks bright.  Like Outlaw, I was fortunate to have a rather rare inshore grandslam yesterday.  Was missing the trout unit the way back in when we stopped at the mouth of a creek.  Tied on a Mirrolure Lil John in watermelon/red glitter and the slam was complete.  The tarpon ate a Catch 2000 "purple demon".  It was a juvie, but still fun.  Several slot size reds, a snapper or two and a chunky jewfish also gave us some tugs.  

Nice...you guys always have it dialed in....

You just have the every saturday in Chokoloskee routine down !!!

COTO and I are planning a week from Saturday in his skiff...

I've been wanting to learn the back and this year I decided I would.....and even though I'm not allowed to bring shrimp on COTO's skiff and I must be a minimalist....it will be.......The back and nothing but the back your honor :)

DC