Spot Lock issue / question

koondog

Fished Saturday in pretty heavy wind/current.  Minn Kota spot lock worked great for the first ~ 1.5hrs.  Then it turned off. Would re-anchor the unit, it would work for a few minutes then turn off again...  Never could get it to lock in again without turning off.  This motor was installed in July 2016 and has the original interstate batteries.  I'm thinking I might have a battery voltage issue that is messing with the GPS?  Was curious if anyone else has had similar issues ?  Thanks.

redzone is "spot on" if you have a bad cell then your amp hrs will be minimal and the motor will act up. even if you have on the fly charging it will not hold. spot lock seems to be very sensitive to voltage drop when it comes to holding. 

to check fully charge the batteries disconnect them let them sit a couple of hrs to equalize and use a load tester to find the bad battery.

if near harbor freight 20 bucks will get you a decent easy to use tester

the dilemma you will have is the age difference of a new battery and the other twoScreenshot_20200914-191748_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3939262197b36bf00635bd3f9ce675f5.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2020 at 7:21 PM, smilemaker said:

redzone is "spot on" if you have a bad cell then your amp hrs will be minimal and the motor will act up. even if you have on the fly charging it will not hold. spot lock seems to be very sensitive to voltage drop when it comes to holding. 

to check fully charge the batteries disconnect them let them sit a couple of hrs to equalize and use a load tester to find the bad battery.

if near harbor freight 20 bucks will get you a decent easy to use tester

the dilemma you will have is the age difference of a new battery and the other twoScreenshot_20200914-191748_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3939262197b36bf00635bd3f9ce675f5.jpg

Just purchased one of these to test mine. I think one of mine is showing too low. What exactly are you reading when under load. 

45 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

you need to know the CCA of your battery.  charge the battery fully and allow to rest a couple of  hrs

put the load tester on and and look at the gauge while you holding the button for about 10 sec. read the gauge at the needle and compare for your CCA

They are optima blue tops with 750cca. One shows around 1000 the other 800(the pics show where the needle was). I’ve had trouble with the blue tops before. The boat came with them when I bought it. One went out so I replaced with another so they would be the same. About a year later I had to replace the other so the dates are 3/17 and 2/18. Always charged up after use. I’m having trouble getting a decent run time before my trolley starts acting up. I have a ulterra and after a couple hours of use it will cut off. I have to wait a few minutes till it powers back up but it does it again.  I recently rewired the entire system so all connections should be good. 

97265568-6E7E-4F75-94C2-062DFA3B7EAB.jpeg

28B624D6-3AC1-474D-B345-D4FFA9B6E731.jpeg

I current Number one house battery is an Optima Blue Top. I am not a fan. My number two house and 36 volt trolling motor bank are Deka 24 AGMs. The Deka batteries have been great.

If you hold the load for 10 seconds and the needle never goes below 800 I would say your batteries are good. Last battery I load tested that was bad pushed back to the red very quickly.

My good batteries hold steady around 800 for the full ten seconds.