Inshore rod recommendations

quest4reds

5 minutes ago, quest4reds said:

bernieNC, I have been there.  It's on the way to my favorite fishing area.  My wife actually got me a Shimano Terramar with a Sahara C3000 reel from there based solely on recommendation from staff.  I like that setup a lot for certain types of presentations.  I was not aware of the big sale.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it this year as I am planning on traveling around the holidays.  Feel free to get me a Christmas present at the sale though🤣

I will add your present to my list. I am sure I will drop $100's if not more that day. Usually do. A few years ago I walked out of there with 5 Avid Inshore rods with Stradics and Sustains to match. Always stock up on Zman and Mirrolures. Don't even get me started on offshore stuff.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This past weekend was a meet and greet with my fishing club that I look forward to every year.  We tent or RV camp and fish a river that flows into a sound so it is usually pretty good fishing for trout, flounder, reds, striper and of course everyone's favorite, pinfish, lol.  Conditions were not great and the fishing was a grind for even the most seasoned inshore anglers.  

There is a local tackle shop in the area that I always try to visit while there, great bunch of folks that run it, always willing to help, competitive prices, and even did a fundraiser for one of my club members that was involved in a bad car accident in which he and his daughter had life threatening injuries (they have recovered by the way).  They raffled off a kayak and all funds went to helping with medical bills.  As cool as that was, one of my friends and fellow club members won the raffle, then turned around and donated the kayak back to the shop so they could raise even more money.  

I stopped by the shop to pick up a few items for the weekend and they had a new Florida Fishing Products(FFP) spinning reel I was very interested in that I had seen them advertise on their website and facebook page.  I picked up a FFP Osprey CE in 1000 size, still has 26 lbs of drag!  Super light reel, attractive and smooth as butter.  Casts amazing with 10lb braid.  Based on recommendations from here and the owner of the shop, I paired the reel with a Star Seagis 7' ML spinning rod.  Was able to use the setup to catch some trout and under slot reds and absolutely love it.  Very light weight so I can cast it all day without issue, plenty of backbone to set the hook, and incredibly sensitive.  Highly recommend this setup for inshore fishing.

In other news, Miss Jazzy recently finished a custom rod for me that should be arriving some time soon.  I have a Stradic 2500 waiting for that rod to arrive.  Will send pics when it arrives (assuming I can still attach them, lol).

My custom rod has arrived!  Big thanks to Miss Jazzy, aka Dunn Rite Customs, for making me a custom redfish rod.  It looks and feels amazing and I can't wait to use it.  I've included a couple pics of his work, he may have better pics than me so hopefully he'll chime in as well.  The thread color choice was my idea, I wanted the colors to be like a red drum with that beautiful blue at the end of the tail.  The pic I included shows that thread and also one additional detail that was only included at the first (closest to reel) eyelet, the rest of the wraps lack the tail spot.  All the wraps, alignment and fitment are top notch IMO and it's set up just the way I like it from the handle to the hook keeper.  Thanks again Miss Jazzy!

my rod cropped.jpg

redfish eye wrap cropped.jpg

split grip red rod cropped.jpg

16 minutes ago, quest4reds said:

My custom rod has arrived!  Big thanks to Miss Jazzy, aka Dunn Rite Customs, for making me a custom redfish rod.  It looks and feels amazing and I can't wait to use it.  I've included a couple pics of his work, he may have better pics than me so hopefully he'll chime in as well.  The thread color choice was my idea, I wanted the colors to be like a red drum with that beautiful blue at the end of the tail.  The pic I included shows that thread and also one additional detail that was only included at the first (closest to reel) eyelet, the rest of the wraps lack the tail spot.  All the wraps, alignment and fitment are top notch IMO and it's set up just the way I like it from the handle to the hook keeper.  Thanks again Miss Jazzy!

my rod cropped.jpg

redfish eye wrap cropped.jpg

split grip red rod cropped.jpg

How are his prices compared to high end Falcon or Loomis, etc ? 

5 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

How are his prices compared to high end Falcon or Loomis, etc ? 

Competitive with high end Falcons, way less than Loomis.  I don't mind telling what I paid, as long as Miss Jazzy doesn't.  I got to choose about everything about this rod from blank length, strength, action and color, to the grip type, reel seat orientation, hook keeper type, eyelet style, and of course the thread colors.  And then there are the added details like my screen name and the redfish decal.  I'm pretty well set up with rods at the moment, but in the future (after I have had a chance to fish and catch some with this rod) I am already considering having him make me a speckled sea trout rod.

Thanks for the kind words. It my pleasure building exactly what you wanted and I’m glad you approve. I did take pictures but didn’t realize they turned out out of focus and blurry. Sorry about that. Feel free to disclose any information you like about pricing but I will say as you might expect all builds are different and pricing affects that depending on parts used and the amount of detail you prefer.   

Also make sure you log in your rod info to MHX so your warranty will be secure. It was in the packet I sent. 

I almost forgot about registering for warranty, thanks for the reminder.

So this build was $200 for those following along.  I didn't have a whole lot of specific stuff added.  I used the recommended components, chose two thread colors, how I preferred split handle below the reel seat, mentioned it would be cool to have a redfish decal and my handle on the rod somewhere and he did the rest.  Completed a lot faster than I anticipated too especially considering he was sent the wrong blank the first time and had to wait for another one to ship.  Very happy so far, hope it performs as good as it looks.

• Like 1