Inshore rod recommendations

quest4reds

I spent 20 years fishing Crowder Rods built in Stuart Florida for exactly what you do. Not all of their rods today are US built but my buddy just bought 2 for about $135 each from Strike Zone in Jacksonville. They have an on line store and ship as well. I moved to Ct Croix about 2 years ago when I won one in a tournament. Their Legend and Avid series are terriffic but over you price point. St Croix does make a tidemaster series at about $150 that is US built and feel pretty close to the avid.

Thanks for buying USA built products.

• Like 2

Everybody has their favorites......for 1/8 and 1/4 oz ZMan or DOA type lead heads....I use a Falcon 7’ Lowrider Salt Series or a Falcon BuCoo ....with a Shimano NASCI or Stradic in a Spinner 2000 series..... for top water Zara Spooks or Whopper Ploppers, I use a Abu Garcia  Inshore Salt Series bait caster on a 6’6” or 7 ‘...Falcon BuCoo casting rod.  I’ve had every kind you can think of over the years, and currently am having good luck with service and performance of these. 

Custom for me but be warned it’s an addiction and you will never buy an off the shelf rod again. I don’t do any fancy stuff just focus on quality work and setting them up right. Each one is set up for the reel. 

Do recommend whatever you buy look into a rod with Fuji KL-H guides if you can. Recently built a rod with them and they are great. 

41 minutes ago, brew1891 said:

Custom for me but be warned it’s an addiction and you will never buy an off the shelf rod again. I don’t do any fancy stuff just focus on quality work and setting them up right. Each one is set up for the reel. 

Do recommend whatever you buy look into a rod with Fuji KL-H guides if you can. Recently built a rod with them and they are great. 

I agree I put those on my last build for myself. 

So update: I am asking Miss Jazzy to do a rod for me.  I'll send pics when I can, a lot of stuff on back order right now as you can imagine.  Hopefully I can attach pics by then.

Other than that, when I look for my next couple rods, I will be looking at the Star line and Falcon.  Would still really be interested in learning more about Cajun rods so if anyone has any experience with them, I'd love to hear about it.  I watched reviews and there are pro's and cons of course.  The biggest con was the hook keeper was placed too close to the cork handle making it difficult to get larger lures attached without them rubbing on the handle a bit.  The pros seemed good though, very light, action as great, it has a stout back bone and it's made in the USA.  I understand it may have a few components that are made elsewhere, but it's about the best one can hope to do these days.

• Like 1

I used to build my own rods with Loomis blanks. That was back when I could call Gary Loomis & discuss blanks & where to cut them for the tip action I liked. Once Loomis went overseas I switched to Crowder & Redbone. After a few years of those I found out Shimano started using old Loomis technology so I switched to their Teramar spin rods & never looked back. Good quality rods, cork & reel seats. My son & I can be hard on my equipment & these rods can withstand punishment. We’ve been using model TMSX70M or TMSX66M for our Stradic 3000 or 2500’s which is what we use 95% of the time. 

Have 4 Star Plasma rods (not the Plasma ll), they are great rods, not sure I would have paid full price for them, but for what I payed for them they are well worth it. Have built a bunch of rods on Mudhole Spin Jig 842 and 843 blanks, end up with a really good rod for a fair price, you can get a kit for ~$100 or choose your own components, make them the way you want them. I prefer a simple cork grip and standard reel seat, so many of the new rods have goofy grips and seats that look fancy, but *** to use for any length of time. Many good production rods out there for a decent prIce too.

If you haven't heard of Sixgill, look them up.  I have two casting rods and they are super light and strong.  They have a great warranty offer as well.  They use Japanese Toray blanks but are American built in Texas.  The Toray factories less than 2 miles from my house.  Checkout there website http://www.sixgill.com. I to buy American made and these are made in America. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RacerxV6 said:

If you haven't heard of Sixgill, look them up.  I have two casting rods and they are super light and strong.  They have a great warranty offer as well.  They use Japanese Toray blanks but are American built in Texas.  The Toray factories less than 2 miles from my house.  Checkout there website http://www.sixgill.com. I to buy American made and these are made in America. 

Your link is to an IT site, not a fishing rod site.

I’ve only had Star Rods on my boats. They withstand any inshore fish as well as most offshore fish when I had my offshore boat. Just bought 6 more since Xmas. Great warranty as well even though I’ve never had to use it.....David

11 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

I'm looking for spinning right now but which model are you using?  I only have one casting rod I use for inshore, I have an Abu Garcia Revo inshore reel spooled with mono on a Halo rod, it's my topwater rod and not much else.  For what it's worth, I really like that reel.

If I'm throwing light jigs/gulp all day in the mangroves I have a St Croix that I love.  Avid avs68mxf.  Super light.  Can throw all day.  Great feel and decent backbone.  However, it is way more expensive than I like to spend.  Just an impulse buy at Sunshine Ace.  A few years later, another guy at Sunshine Ace turned me onto the Star Rods.  Half the price and super solid.  I have a 7-0 and 7-6 Stellarlite.  I'd be fine with having only Star Stellarlites on the boat.  

I just got back from a trip to the Inner Banks in NC.  Guide was using all TFO spinning rods.  They have been put thru the ringer.  They worked fine on some monster reds but popping corks all day will take it out of you.  

2 hours ago, quest4reds said:

I'm looking for spinning right now but which model are you using?  I only have one casting rod I use for inshore, I have an Abu Garcia Revo inshore reel spooled with mono on a Halo rod, it's my topwater rod and not much else.  For what it's worth, I really like that reel.

I curently have the MYakka Casting rod.  I know your looking for a spinning outfit and if your looking for something light but with some backbone and a medium/fast tip, I would recommend the Myakka Spinning in the MS702M model.  It is a 7'2" Medium or go to the MS704MH 7'4" Medium Heavy.

And they always have BOGO's going on.  Where you can buy one and get on free.  mix and match.

The thing is everyone’s preference is different. A rod that feels good to you may not to me. Rods are like boats there’s not one that can do it all. I’ve had trouble with high dollar rods in the past. And no matter the manufacturer you don’t know if the writing on the rod is what actually the rod is without doing a static test. Even if it’s the same make and model, each blank can act differently. At least with a custom build you get exactly what you want where and how you want it. Not many manufacturers can do that. 

Even though I build them I still have an ole Fenwick that I love and use. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 5:17 PM, quest4reds said:

Ok last trip out on the RF I broke one of my fishing rods, let's say it was a massive fish that struck my presentation so hard that my rod broke into three pieces (it actually did).  So I am looking for a replacement rod to seat my spinning reel to (I'll leave model out of it as that will be a whole other story and I'm not looking to spend any more money right now).  Anyway, reel has 10-15# braid on it, and I rarely go heavier than about a 1/4oz of weight.  So looking for something sensitive enough to feel a subtle bite, but stout enough to reel in the occasional over-slot drum (I should have said freakishly rare, I'm not that good a fisherman or liar yet).   I would love for the rod to be light at 7 - 7'3" as it'll be used almost exclusively to throw artificial baits so a lot of casting.

I have searched a bit and got a couple recommendations, but wanted to hear from the masses here as I know some of you have a LOT of experience.  The suggestions I got are Fenwick, and Star inshore rods in part at least because of the quality of their warranty programs.  The other suggestion was from a review of sorts stating the St Croix Mojo Inshore rod was the best bang for the buck.  

Couple things to consider: Location and budget.  I am located near Fort Bragg, NC and fish primarily around the Wilmington area.  I would like to support local business if I can.  I would like to buy American if I can.  I would like to spend less than $665 for a G Loomis.(I know they are great rods, I have one, a gift, but I'm sorry that is just too much money for a rod for me anyway).  I know there have got to be some good local rod makers out there, but I don't know them.  Found one other company that's American made, Cajun Rods, they have prices ranging from $149-$229 for their inshore rods.  Anyone have any experience with these?

Besides all that stuff, what are your favorite rods to fish for inshore / nearshore species?

You say you are located near Ft Bragg? Have you ever been to Neuse Sport Shop in Kinston? Let me share a tradition. Every year they have a BIG sale on December 26th and EVERYTHING is on sale (hunting, fishing, boating, clothing etc.) Check out their Facebook page. Fishing gear(rods. reels and tackle) is usually around 30% off. I go through all my stuff and make a list get there around 6AM when when it starts, it will be crowded, but it is a big store. If you have never been to the store it may be worth a "scouting" trip. Enjoy!

3 minutes ago, bernieNC said:

You say you are located near Ft Bragg? Have you ever been to Neuse Sport Shop in Kinston? Let me share a tradition. Every year they have a BIG sale on December 26th and EVERYTHING is on sale (hunting, fishing, boating, clothing etc.) Check out their Facebook page. Fishing gear(rods. reels and tackle) is usually around 30% off. I go through all my stuff and make a list get there around 6AM when when it starts, it will be crowded, but it is a big store. If you have never been to the store it may be worth a "scouting" trip. Enjoy!

bernieNC, I have been there.  It's on the way to my favorite fishing area.  My wife actually got me a Shimano Terramar with a Sahara C3000 reel from there based solely on recommendation from staff.  I like that setup a lot for certain types of presentations.  I was not aware of the big sale.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it this year as I am planning on traveling around the holidays.  Feel free to get me a Christmas present at the sale though🤣

• Like 1