Inshore rod recommendations

quest4reds

Ok last trip out on the RF I broke one of my fishing rods, let's say it was a massive fish that struck my presentation so hard that my rod broke into three pieces (it actually did).  So I am looking for a replacement rod to seat my spinning reel to (I'll leave model out of it as that will be a whole other story and I'm not looking to spend any more money right now).  Anyway, reel has 10-15# braid on it, and I rarely go heavier than about a 1/4oz of weight.  So looking for something sensitive enough to feel a subtle bite, but stout enough to reel in the occasional over-slot drum (I should have said freakishly rare, I'm not that good a fisherman or liar yet).   I would love for the rod to be light at 7 - 7'3" as it'll be used almost exclusively to throw artificial baits so a lot of casting.

I have searched a bit and got a couple recommendations, but wanted to hear from the masses here as I know some of you have a LOT of experience.  The suggestions I got are Fenwick, and Star inshore rods in part at least because of the quality of their warranty programs.  The other suggestion was from a review of sorts stating the St Croix Mojo Inshore rod was the best bang for the buck.  

Couple things to consider: Location and budget.  I am located near Fort Bragg, NC and fish primarily around the Wilmington area.  I would like to support local business if I can.  I would like to buy American if I can.  I would like to spend less than $665 for a G Loomis.(I know they are great rods, I have one, a gift, but I'm sorry that is just too much money for a rod for me anyway).  I know there have got to be some good local rod makers out there, but I don't know them.  Found one other company that's American made, Cajun Rods, they have prices ranging from $149-$229 for their inshore rods.  Anyone have any experience with these?

Besides all that stuff, what are your favorite rods to fish for inshore / nearshore species?

I use Crowder and Star. Both are really reasonably priced. Crowder is my inshore rod of choice and Star being offshore or inlets. Lifetime warranty and they havent given me a hassle returning the ones I have had to thus far. I believe Star is up by you. Crowder is made in South Fl. Havent heard of Cajun, will have to check them out. 

Both star and falcons are what I use. Mostly star stellar lite $100 for the rod best bang for the buck...just my opinion. 

I used to buy gloomis and st. Croix but they are not worth it to me when the stars perform the same and I’m not taking out a personal loan to buy them.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Ok, I checked out Crowder and they look pretty nice, but I doubt I'll be able to put my hands on one up here unless I have it shipped and I'm pretty sure they don't do that before purchase. 

I've heard of Falcon before but checked them out again.  Looks like everything except one bass model they have is made in US.  Will look a little closer into them as I should be able to source them locally.  

Looking forward to hearing some more recommendations.

I build custom rods and one of the lightest rods I’ve found are the MHX inshore series blanks. Mudhole’s house rod.  Never had an issue with one but if you do they carry a lifetime replacement guarantee. A custom build without a lot of the fancy thread work should run you between $150-200. 

I pair all mine with the Shimano Stadic Ci4+ 3000 reel witch makes for a very light but strong  combo. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Miss Jazzy said:

I build custom rods and one of the lightest rods I’ve found are the MHX inshore series blanks. Mudhole’s house rod.  Never had an issue with one but if you do they carry a lifetime replacement guarantee. A custom build without a lot of the fancy thread work should run you between $150-200. 

I pair all mine with the Shimano Stadic Ci4 3000 reel witch makes for a very light combo. 

Pics pics pics !!!!

Star Rods are nice, company is out of Morehead City, N.C.
I have a few St Croix Avid Inshore rods that are my go to rods. Very light and very sensitive. I have not broken one yet and have caught some decent fish on them. All have 2500’s with 10/15lb. braid. The CCA gifted me TFO inshore rod that is nice also, might be worth a look. Not as costly as the St. Croix’s. I should add the one of the best guides in the Pamlico Sound area had a hand at helping design the TFO inshore series.

1 hour ago, Miss Jazzy said:

I pair all mine with the Shimano Stadic Ci4+ 3000 reel witch makes for a very light but strong  combo. 

So where are you located?  I'd definitely be interested in a custom rod.  Have also heard good things about the MHX inshore series blanks from Mudhole.  I was looking into trying my hand a rod building a few years ago, but decided wisely I think, to leave it to the experts as  I have too many hobbies, projects and limited space to allow me to take on rod building too.  It's funny how being stuck over the pond for a couple months at a time will get you thinking you got time on your hands.

25 minutes ago, quest4reds said:

So where are you located?  I'd definitely be interested in a custom rod.  Have also heard good things about the MHX inshore series blanks from Mudhole.  I was looking into trying my hand a rod building a few years ago, but decided wisely I think, to leave it to the experts as  I have too many hobbies, projects and limited space to allow me to take on rod building too.  It's funny how being stuck over the pond for a couple months at a time will get you thinking you got time on your hands.

I’m in S. Ga.
I got into it about four years ago. It started out learning how to fix broken guides and tips because there is no one around my neck of the woods that does it. I had absolutely no idea what I was getting into. I bought the starter kit from Mudhole which shows you the basics. It’s really not that difficult as long as you don’t mind tedious work. I watched hundreds of videos to learn some of the decorative wraps. It’s a never ending learning experience and I’m by no means a pro. I enjoy building for family and friends and other clients from time to time. It’s definitely a hobby of mine and I build on my off time. If your interested in one I’d be happy to help you out. Shipping shouldn’t be too bad but I would definitely get a quote before you decided. I do a lot themed rods like the one above but also plain single color builds. Mostly build inshore and bass rods but also big game rods. 

Here is a one of my offshore setups. 

589EE3F6-5802-4D45-B639-B18E367F4B89.jpeg

C9C44543-ADF4-450B-BB9C-F959312A0F2A.jpeg

A14CBAD6-9119-4A30-A417-A54DBE0EA18D.jpeg

Perhaps I should have mentioned the rod types I have now.  I was entirely new to fishing inshore in early 2015 and only had some freshwater rods.  Watching videos trying to learn how to catch red drum I came across Blair Wiggins' show Addictive Fishing in which he plugged his own rods.  So I asked the only person who I thought would know at the time if they were any good and he said for the money, it's a decent rod so I bought two Wright & McGill 7'6" Medium fast rods.  They are a little weighty and a bit less sensitive than I would like.  Next I picked up a couple Red Bone rods, MH, I like them but they are a little stiff all the way to the tip and I know there are lighter rods.  Then I was down in Florida visiting family and went to a tackle shop on the way to fish and saw a great deal on Halo rods, buy one get two free at $99!  So I got three for $99.  These have been my favorite rod so far, very light weight with the sensitivity that I like and they cast very well too.  One of these is the one that broke and I know they don't make that model any more because that was the reason for the really good sale on them.  Finally, my wonderful wife got me the newest rod in my arsenal, a 7'6" ML Shimano Teramar inshore rod.  I like it so far, but I prefer a slightly stiffer/faster tip.

Almost forgot, I did pick up a 36" Dock demon spinning rod and reel combo to play around with.  Put 10# braid on it and have landed striper, trout, and flounder with it.  Going to try to land a red drum on it this fall, should be fun.

Nice work Miss Jazzy!  I have used the MHX a couple times.  First one was with/for my nephew then quickly had to get a MHX HM for myself. To me those blanks feel very similar to a G.Loomis IMX.

One thing to consider when looking at rods is the components that are on the rod.  Depending on what guides and what not are on the rod can really drive the price up just for having brand X on them.  Then you have some rods that throw cheap stuff on them to keep the price down but rust out and fall apart quickly.  It is also important to have the rod that is balanced with the reel.  A balanced setup can make the combo feel lighter than it really is.  If you go the the tackle shop grab a reel that you use from behind the counter and put it on the rod to get a taste of how it feels for you.

• Like 1

I have 4 St. Croix Inshore Avid's....they are $$$ but, I really like them....I have only had St. Croix for the past 10 years...I started with the tide masters and then the Inshore series....I picked up the latest series (It won the ICAST) as best rod...super light, super small eyes and accurate...I like the 7.6"

I also have an UglyStick I give to my "guests" when on the skiff.

The key I learned from a guide is that you should have all the same set ups when out for the day.  

I normally take  3 st. Croix's with Penn Battle 2500's 10lb test or 15 (just change the spool)....this way, you always have the same feel when you decide to change lures or situations.

Seems to work....

DC