Cooler for 2008 RF 16

Wahoossi

I am dialing in my new to me RF 16 . It is a 2008 and it has the molded in it console seat which is continuous with the console storage. I am adding a 24 V TM ( on order) and 24V Lithium Dakota battery with charger will occupy the space under the seat along with some storage. I was wondering what any you Redfisher owners without the more modern cooler seat set up are using for coolers? Right now I am leaning towards a 35 qt. Yeti that I can use as a casting platform, but It seems pretty small. I looked online at the 45 and new 52 qt RTIC ultralight hard coolers and they are the right size but are 26” and 27”  wide which would stick out way past the console on either side. Do you put them up against the front deck or the console? Right now I am using an old decaying 30 qt RTIC soft cooler and the Georgia sun is literally melting it and it is decomposing in front of me . Thanks. I included some pictures to give you an idea of what I am working with. 

889DF5E0-3434-409C-B843-B9B1DE4204A9.jpeg

FEAEC224-B16D-4DC2-AAEB-2DB0F549D681.jpeg

BA5677C6-8606-4470-9FB3-926088E7F9A8.jpeg

I have a 2008 Hewes 16, post more pics of your boat!

I ran into the same issue with you when deciding on a cooler. On the front deck is not an option because I need to access the front storage and anchor hatch frequently. 

I wanted a cooler that would fit coffin style but needed a large cooler because I camp make long trips. Didn't want to spend the money on multiple coolers, so I went with a 65. It sits perpendicular to the jump seat, and its slightly cumbersome but when I'm not running around I am standing on the deck and its a non factor.

If I were you I would do a long search for a cooler that might fit coffin but if you need to just rest it again the seat, that works.

59 minutes ago, coopaloopa said:

I have a 2008 Hewes 16, post more pics of your boat!

I ran into the same issue with you when deciding on a cooler. On the front deck is not an option because I need to access the front storage and anchor hatch frequently. 

I wanted a cooler that would fit coffin style but needed a large cooler because I camp make long trips. Didn't want to spend the money on multiple coolers, so I went with a 65. It sits perpendicular to the jump seat, and its slightly cumbersome but when I'm not running around I am standing on the deck and its a non factor.

If I were you I would do a long search for a cooler that might fit coffin but if you need to just rest it again the seat, that works. .

Thanks for the reply. Coffin style. I don’t know why I did not think of that considering the amount of time I spend in THT perusing god awful expensive offshores boats I will never own! Yes , that is the way to go. The new RTIC  LIghtweight  52 qt seems to be a winner since it is only $ 150 with shipping and has everything I would want in a cooler . No on really can sit in the jump seat while we are driving other than a child ( my youngest is 16yo) because the driver can’t see sh*t  so no need to even leave leg room there . Thanks Coopaloopa. Here are a few more pictures. Still a work in progress! Fixing and updating things every weekend! 93DCCFC5-7DAE-4E61-9D41-BBBED63812D0.thumb.jpeg.1f0bf94b73da0d90f2ad922b4b60fab9.jpeg

41CDE725-7B1C-479C-9F3D-55B9C424870E.jpeg

960226B3-C1DB-4E9B-ABA3-02E7AB7418E7.jpeg

9EC3E976-CC24-4760-BF2A-D3792BB213A8.jpeg

C30EAAE4-7032-448A-B002-F5BD9C98B1DB.jpeg

8D6E4057-FB31-4310-A20E-AC3A6A0DC2E9.jpeg

7F620026-82B0-465B-8C1C-035BC878CBC5.jpeg

12D3B53D-0BCA-496D-AD2F-5C13CB873897.jpeg

982A54CC-A8AC-467C-9C69-47CF5258E7C8.jpeg

I'm using a 35q that's 25" wide and plenty of room to stand on.  I have the Engel and like it better than Yeti (I refuse to pay more for their advertising campaign).  Check out Engel v. Yeti; Engel consistently scores better.

BTW, where are you located in GA?  I'm in Sandy Springs and looking at pulling together a GA Hewes event group some time.

Thanks for the reply. I agree the prices on Yeti’s are ridiculous. I ordered a new RTIC 52 qt. It is only 26.5 inches wide and I am thinking of affixing it coffin style to help with the walk room. It was only $135 ( 150 with a 10% online coupon code) and it is only 20lbs. Empty and comes with a frozen divider and a wire rack -and free shipping. 
I live on Saint Simons Island , so I am already down here on the coast but I am willing to travel to find new fishing area /friends. 

You can put a lot of cooler in there coffee style as you say. I wanted to ride a yeti in mine like that but all of my coolers were higher than the seat on the console. If I were to spend money on a lounge to extend from the console seat I would try to get something close to the same height. 
 I use a cheap igloo with a nicer than igloo cushion on top. It holds ice for a day and is level with the console seat. Zoom in on the pic and you can see my igloo lined up long ways to the console 

8B2800AA-B7BE-48E4-8BC2-AE8BFDBA2100.jpeg

• Like 1