2200 Performance Numbers

jramm

2 hours ago, jramm said:

Just rechecked oil level (still cold) after tilting motor up then back to level for a few minutes (see pic). My dipstick doesn’t have hatching just two holes which I assume to be low and high but not sure. On recheck it’s a little above the top hole but not as drastic as when I checked yesterday (did not tilt and level that time).

44B87E4E-C515-4E01-97A2-22A594F0DB0D.jpeg

Thats Good. Yes the holes are low and high. Mine lives just slightly under the top hole. You should be getting close to your 20 hr. service. I would not go past it. 20 hour oil change is pretty important. After that every 100 hours. I stayed with the full synthetic. 800 hrs. all good.

3 hours ago, HoneyB said:

So “they” say you can idle your SHO on the hose connection. There is plenty of water going down the tower to lubricate the water pump impeller at idle. My mechanic says that is the only way to open the thermostats when flushing. 

I have never done that. When mine was brand new my dealer did something like that ( never got a straight answer ) and damaged the water pump. I bought the low pickup flusher and use that. For a long time I would connect hoses to both when I idled the motor to flush it. Overkill..... Now days I use the integrated flush port and do not run the motor when I first get back. Later I connect the low pickup flusher and run the motor.

35 minutes ago, jh141 said:

Thats Good. Yes the holes are low and high. Mine lives just slightly under the top hole. You should be getting close to your 20 hr. service. I would not go past it. 20 hour oil change is pretty important. After that every 100 hours. I stayed with the full synthetic. 800 hrs. all good.

Planning to take it next week for the 20 hr and a few other things ... including a prop swap.

20 hr checkup and prop swap scheduled for next week but since I was only about 18 hrs in and oil didn’t seem over ... decided to try and run a bit more.

Was able to run a little more consistently between 5200-5400 RPMs (2 people, 20 gallons, limited equipment) ... touched 5500 for a moment. Speed was 48-50 on GPS. Definitely excited to see what the prop change will do.

Tried to leave jp down while running hard, but did experiment with slight raise (between 1-2) when running between 3000-4000 RPMs and triggered the overheat alarm again. This time I took a closer look at command link and noticed the temp gauge seemed normal despite the alarm. 🤔 

Curious to know if the shop can pull records for those alarms and the stats (rpms, etc) at service? 

i do not know if that’s why your overheating but you need to talk to your dealer and get there opinion. 
  Personally I think you need to set it down.  I think that’s why your overheat alarm is coming on but your dealer may say he’s rigged 100 boats like that. What does one inch down matter when you have the ability to raise it 6 inches with the jackplate. 

I have seen this same overheat alarm go off on mine when running full speed with the jack plate up above 2”. My understanding is that the tunnel hull creates an air pocket so water is not getting to the low water pick up which triggers the alarm. I only raise mine up when trying to get on plane in shallow water. Once up on plane lower it back down to at least one inch. When you are running on plane shouldn’t need the jack plate raised that high. Alarm has never gone off since. I have the 250 SHO with 4 blade and only run top end at 50 to 52. But it will throw you out of the boat If not holding on with trim tabs down at take off.

On 9/10/2020 at 5:11 PM, HoneyB said:

So “they” say you can idle your SHO on the hose connection. There is plenty of water going down the tower to lubricate the water pump impeller at idle. My mechanic says that is the only way to open the thermostats when flushing. 

You can... There's a dealer that probably sells more yamaha's than anyone in Florida and they run every one that way.  

3 hours ago, brune90 said:

I went back through the thread and didnt see a mention of Water Pressure. Are you using a water pressure gauge?  If so what is it reading at "overheat"? If not, why not?

I was unsure if I had it or not because I was still trying to figure out how to config my Yamaha gauges, but found it today and changed one of the views to include water pressure (replaced water temp on the display). I ran wide open a bit today with jack down and started to adjust to see how pressure changed. JP down it was basically dead center, and adjusting up about an inch or so it would drop down a notch. I didn’t push it to the point of triggering alarm today. I also took a look at the alarms history on the gauge and noticed it was completely blank which puzzled me a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything checked out ok at 20 hr service. Didn’t change anything on the setup other than prop for now. Still running a Yamaha for now but dropped down to a 19. Today I ran about 5700-5800 RPMs WOT at about 46-47 MPH on GPS, no gear, 40 gallons of fuel, two passengers. Need to do a bit more testing but seems a little more work to do. Played with JP height a bit, keeping an eye on pressure, not there yet. Considering an impeller mod that I heard about which is supposed to help with pressure.