Fishing Report CHOKO - August 5-7

Every year my cousin from Colorado comes down to fish the glades with me. Every year his expectations get harder and harder. He recently got into the fly fishing game. This year he wanted to get a "Slam on fly" and a "Big Snook on fly".  The conditions were perfect! 5-10MPH east wind with straight sunshine. No Clouds. Perfect sight fishing / fly fishing opportunities.

We landed over 50 redfish, 100 snook, 5 juvy tarpon.

CANT BEAT THE GLADES. Truly no place on earth quite like it! IMG_0001.thumb.jpg.a644238e96419ddb9b92d8adf63f8c6c.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

The beauty of the Everglades is subtle.  Only a few inches of elevation makes a huge difference in the terrain and vegatation.  The deepest parts are truly tropical, where mahogany trees replace things like Oak.  Royal Palms in Paradise Key are sublime.   To protect this ecosystem, sugar plantations that are feeding nitrate into the system need to be rewilded. The  Kissimee river needs to be put back into its channel, and the natural sheet flow needs to be restored. A lot of this was in the works but takes forever due to lack of money and politics.  An urgent reason to do this now is to keep the park from drying and use the sugar cane plantation water to provide a barrier against salt water intrusion into the drinking water of Miami.  The City of Los Angeles already uses fresh water as a salinity barrier for the same reason to protect aquifers against sea level rise.  I visit the everglades whenever I can get away from Los Angeles.  Our nature is less wild,  unless of course, you rent a boat in Los Angeles with OnBoat. Then you can get out into the wild blue yonder.