1987 MA18

CF 87MA18

Hi,

Just joined the Maverick owners club. Picked up an old 1987 MA18 with a Suzuki DF140.  It's definitely a project; motor needs work and the boat needs a lot of cosmetic work, but the hull seems to be strong. I didn't see any 1987 manuals on this site or a lot of pictures of this older model - any resource links available? I'd like to restore this as stock as possible. Front tank has been replaced, but deck repair wasn't done well. Console has been hacked up,  so need to decide to repair or replace. It does have the rear flow through live wells, which seems like a great feature. Would love to benefit from some experienced owners restoration projects. Anything else I need to worry about? DF140 seems to be a good match for the hull, anyone have this combo (if I am doing a rebuild would  consider other options, but even the 2-strokes are heavier than this motor)? Also looking for some replacement teal Maverick stickers, the interior and poling platform Maverick logos are gone.

20200801_190418.jpg

5 hours ago, CF 87MA18 said:

Hi,

Just joined the Maverick owners club. Picked up an old 1987 MA18 with a Suzuki DF140.  It's definitely a project; motor needs work and the boat needs a lot of cosmetic work, but the hull seems to be strong. I didn't see any 1987 manuals on this site or a lot of pictures of this older model - any resource links available? I'd like to restore this as stock as possible. Front tank has been replaced, but deck repair wasn't done well. Console has been hacked up,  so need to decide to repair or replace. It does have the rear flow through live wells, which seems like a great feature. Would love to benefit from some experienced owners restoration projects. Anything else I need to worry about? DF140 seems to be a good match for the hull, anyone have this combo (if I am doing a rebuild would  consider other options, but even the 2-strokes are heavier than this motor)? Also looking for some replacement teal Maverick stickers, the interior and poling platform Maverick logos are gone.

20200801_190418.jpg

Hey!  My first MA was an 87, I will share with you what I know.   But the reason I am on my second is because I loved my first one so much.   Yours is lighter and simpler than the later versions, much more "skiffy" than the tanks that they became in later years.    Mine had an old, tired 115 and I topped out at 43/44, so the 140 will make her fly.   Its a simple boat, but a few things to check given her age.   Shoot me a PM and I will be happy to share what I know.