WTB ??? What's going on ?

Wanaflatsfish

I was browsing the For Sale ads just checking out some skiffs for some ideas and realized there are a huge number of WTB ads.

Interesting....

I guess the COVID seems to have affected everyone differently?

My daughter who used to want to travel to Europe and go to see exotic places, is now considering buying a GLAMPING RV and travel up to her home in NC and explore more of the USA.

My traveling friends are all looking at STAY IN USA vacations for the next few years.....driving distance for a few days and away from the big cities.

When I bought my Ameratrail for my mistress....there was a 6-10 week wait on trailers.

What's going on?  Is Everyone getting into shallow water fishing these days?  Are people who had disposable income to travel, now investing into skiff (if you ever call buying a skiff investing)-more like a BOAT - break out a thousand.....but, it seems to have changed some actions by people in general.

I know for myself, i've travelled to about 100 countries in my career, my Delta Account has 1.2MM lifetime miles, AA, 1MM, United close to 900K....and I don't want to go anywhere any more.......give me a Grand Banks and floating skiff behind it....and life would be good :)

It's so crazy....last month.....

Heck, I even had someone call me and offer me $$$$ for my Holy Ghost....I would be sent directly to purgatory if I committed that sin :)

DC

• Like 3

A lot of people are looking to get on the water in all kinds of boats as other recreational options are more limited and people have more time on their hands.

I have had numerous clients that have cancelled international trips this summer and have decided to stay closer to home to fish, most within driving distance.

On 8/1/2020 at 5:23 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

I guess the COVID seems to have affected everyone differently?

COVID (actually the over-reaching response to it) has caused supply chain shortages, laborer shortages (workers being paid for no work), and price increases across the board, for all goods.  It has also caused high demand for boats, new and used, because boating is good therapy for cabin fever and one of the few things we can do for fun and go mask-free these days.  The rise in the number of WTB ads is because there are long wait times for new boats to be built, and used boats (and new) are selling fast at higher prices.  I have seen outright posts in general boating forums from boat/skiff companies, urging people to send in their order and deposit soon because prices will be increased next month (actually this month August).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

My dream is to own a GB and set it up in Biscayne Bay with a WIFI dish and run my consulting business from it......

DC

Great dream. Ours was to live aboard after Stef retired. I was already. Sadly to say she really took ill right after retiring. Today is four years since her passing. Thank YOU for all the support you gave at that time and the rest of my MBG family. 😀🙏 fin

• Like 3

"What's going on?  Is Everyone getting into shallow water fishing these days?"

Yes Sir, soon you will need to purchase a parking pass to fish your favorite spots!!! I do not fish on the weekends, however it's getting almost as bad Monday through Friday for boat traffic. Then you add in the jet skis...........😣

They dealer I bought my first Hewes from in 1994 told me if you are not proficient at financing now days you have a hard time selling boats!!

7 minutes ago, DonV said:

"What's going on?  Is Everyone getting into shallow water fishing these days?"

Yes Sir, soon you will need to purchase a parking pass to fish your favorite spots!!! I do not fish on the weekends, however it's getting almost as bad Monday through Friday for boat traffic. Then you add in the jet skis...........😣

They dealer I bought my first Hewes from in 1994 told me if you are not proficient at financing now days you have a hard time selling boats!!

It has gone crazy.

Had a guy the other day that does show room finance plans for boat dealers around here. He says the aren't making a lot of money cause nothing is sitting for inventory. Boats are rolling of the lots as fast as the dealers can get them.

It took me almost 6 weeks to re-power the Maverick. Had the new motor for 2 months now and haven't put 10 hours on it. Between offshore fishing, the heat and the idiots the wife doesn't want to go out and she usually is chomping at the bit. The last time I took her the yahoos had her so mad she was ready to go nuts. Glad she didn't have her carry weapon. Last Saturday I was off Green Key in the big boat in 6 feet of water with her, both my boys and their girls scalloping.

Had to sound my horn several times for boats running to close to my swimmers. I finally Called the law on the VHF for some guys running jet skis right through the middle of the divers. Got my daily satisfaction when Paco County LEO came racing in with their new 2500 Pathfinder. Watched the blue light special as he caught them in the act. He had them for a long time.😃

While I was in the tower I counted the dive flags I could see. There were 172 of them in easy sight in just that small area.

The opening day of the 10 day Pasco scallop season of which the productive area is relatively small FWC aircraft counted 472 active boats scalloping.😮

Yes, it has gone crazy on the water. Being on the water is one of the few things people can do and be relatively safe from the virus. But, most of the people I encounter should not even be on the water. They have no idea about channel markers, sand bars, oyster bars, no wake zones, dive flags, and the rules of being on the water. We can only hope that the virus goes away so these knuckle heads can go back to whatever they use to do for entertainment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Another thing to add.  Every realtor friend I have talked to is telling me that there is a mass exodus out of the major cities.  Houses here in Wilmington are selling sight unseen for prices that are crazy.   I am so tempted to cash out of house and boat now before the 2020 november Civil war starts . . . but where the heck would I go and what the heck would I do?   Maybe find a thousand acres with a nice big pond and hole up till its all over.    Kidding, of course . . . ish . . .

And yes, to the OP, its is off the hook for all outdoor activities.  Kids teach surf lessons and cant keep up with the demand.   What a crazy world.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, linesider 159 said:

Just went under contract on a house last week. 1.5 days on market with 25 offers, had to go 35k over asking to get it (still a great deal for me). 

I am in the boating industry and it is absolutely insane with the demand. 

My daughter put her house up on the 31st and had an offer 2 hours in for the asking price !!!! crazy...  it will end soon enough.

The whole marine industry is slammed from the tackle shops to the service yards to the suppliers. The amount of 120’+ yacht closings I’ve been a part of since May is surreal. Most custom sportfish yacht builders cannot deliver a new rig for at least 3yrs and several center console builders are starting to have the same “problem” with a 1-2yr backlog. 

I sure do luv my little nest in Choko. Being able to escape down there half of each month makes dealing with city life a lot less stressful. There’s no other island I know of with so few people & world class fishing...from the docks! I would love to buy a 42GB & live on the hook but I know better. Choko will eventually become my only home. Upgrading my digs down there in the spring! 

1 hour ago, linesider 159 said:

I dont believe it for a second, with increased demand and reduced production backlogs will continue to run. Sure, demand may slow down but a never ending backlog still ensures steady business.

I am referring to the used boat market. When all those that are buying now have to return to normal life and will not have the time to spend on the water there will be a flood of nearly new boats hitting the market. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Just went there! The pictures are pretty but that's about all you're gonna get!

Gun shop owner I know in Franklin NC told my daughter to get ready for $1/rd 9mm by November....

Right now, you cannot find any 9mm on line, when just 4 months ago, I bought 2K rounds for $300 / 1K and thought I was getting hosed...I should have bought more....

If you can find 9mm, it's about $400-500/1K.

Only high end hand guns on line seem to be available if you can find them and have a FFL....but, who cares....nothing like a CZ Tactical Orange with a SRO in the glove box on the way to the ramp :) 

dc

• Like 2

On 8/3/2020 at 3:02 PM, Miss Jazzy said:

I am referring to the used boat market. When all those that are buying now have to return to normal life and will not have the time to spend on the water there will be a flood of nearly new boats hitting the market. 

As soon as the money that people arent used to getting stops and the inflation hits it will come. No way there is that many people that can afford 75k+ bay boats when there is unemployment issues along with all the “loan forgiveness” due to COVID. When bills are normal and the shortage of pay is obvious I think you will be able to get a solid deal on some toys. 

• Like 1