Key West to Cape Sable (Made the run)

We are looking to run up to Cape Sable in Everglades National Park, just to check it out. Figure we will fish our way up and back. Hangout on the beach and maybe fish around that area if we find anything worth our while. I have never been up that way and was looking for some answers to questions I have. I have done some research but all the information I have found is fairly dated.
Do I need to buy a pass to just cruise up there and hangout on the beach? My understanding is I just need the one vessel park pass that’s good for 7 days and is $30? This pass seems to cover everyone on the boat?
Do I need another pass or license to fish inside the park? It seems like my regular Florida fishing license covers this?
Any regulations that I am not used to down here in Key West that cant get us in trouble up that way, such as tackle requirements? Seems like castnets are ok? Do you need to use only circle hooks?

We are going with another boat from down here in Key West. I am probably going to run inside up to Contents and then make a straight shot for Cape Sable. Any must sees that are in that general area/path?
Like I said I have done some research but there seems to be some conflicting info on the webs and most the info seems pretty dated. Thanks for any first hand experience and advice.

You do need a pass (good for seven days) to be in the park. It covers all in a boat. Florida saltwater fishing and license regulations apply. If you plan to keep fish go to FWC web site for regs or download the mobile app.

While running through the Florida Bay keep your eyes peeled. If you see any action check it out. There are spots and wrecks out there but there locations are closely guarded. Seeing bait or action in a spot can be a good sign there is structure there.

If you get to East Cape, push a little farther and fish Middle Cape where Lake Ingram dumps into Florida Bay. Be aware there is a sand bar out in front of Middle Cape. Check it out on Google Earth.

The beach is beautiful and natural all the way from East Cape to Northwest Cape. 

Have Fun!!!!

Thanks for the info. 

I am planning on taking my 20 Pathfinder and my friend is taking his 20 Angler. We will leave from Big Coppitt Key bayside and either run out to Snipes and then run straight there or run the inside of the bay up to Contents and then shoot straight to the Cape. Either way we are going to hold off for a perfect weather day. I plan on bringing 10 extra gallons of gas even though I should have enough without it. 

Also, perfect day in the a.m. can result into a huge problem in the PM's in that area...the ENP is legendary for afternoon thunderstorms with water spouts etc. offshore....ask me how I know this. :)

On google earth, it looks like it's about 60 miles to the East Cape and another 10-15 miles to the Shark River....overal about 150 miles round trip.....fun day.

The "cape" area from Flamingo to the east cape canal into lake ingram is primarily beaches.....good on high tide for snook and tarpon.

If you have any East Wind I'd suggest you fish the protected shores of the mouth of the shark river.

The entire coast - about 8-10 miles is filled with creeks and downed trees......watch the water depths as you can get caught big time in a pathfinder and worse in the angler should you fish an outgoing tide.

have a great trip and sounds like you will for sure have an adventure.

dc

• 2 weeks later...

Made the run to just below the Little Shark several  times on my 22 Pathfinder from the Owners Tournament at Breezy Palms with my daughter fishing the tournament. Did it a couple times before daylight using a spot light and GPS (Wanted to get the last 2 hours of the outgoing on the creeks in the early morning at sunrise!) . Once I made the run during daylight using only a compass and bearings I wrote on a piece of paper because my GPS died the day of the tournament 🤪

Ask Capt. Troy about the day they accompanied us. I believe we did 135+ miles total that day and only had a few gallons of gas in reserve. 

Love that area. Glad you guys had a good trip and returned safely! My daughter and I always did well fishing that area. 

3 hours ago, Bubba B said:

Made the run to just below the Little Shark several  times on my 22 Pathfinder from the Owners Tournament at Breezy Palms with my daughter fishing the tournament. Did it a couple times before daylight using a spot light and GPS (Wanted to get the last 2 hours of the outgoing on the creeks in the early morning at sunrise!) . Once I made the run during daylight using only a compass and bearings I wrote on a piece of paper because my GPS died the day of the tournament 🤪

Ask Capt. Troy about the day they accompanied us. I believe we did 135+ miles total that day and only had a few gallons of gas in reserve. 

Love that area. Glad you guys had a good trip and returned safely! My daughter and I always did well fishing that area. 

Yea, next time we are going to focus some more on actually fishing. This time it was sort of a trial run and exploring a little bit. 

6 hours ago, Bubba B said:

Made the run to just below the Little Shark several  times on my 22 Pathfinder from the Owners Tournament at Breezy Palms with my daughter fishing the tournament.

My buddy lives just across on the bay side from the Breezy at Mile Marker 90, I've done that run with him about a dozen times over the years...

There is NOTHING LIKE COMING AROUND THE CORNER OF EAST CAPE, WHEN YOU LEFT AT 0530 DEAD CALM, AND YOU FIND A 15-20MPH EAST WIND....

Can you say beating of your life :)

We can around it and it was blown' easily 20mph, and he plowed the bow into a 3-4 swell, broke the trolling motor, 6" of water in the deck, and he looked at me and I told him, I told you about the East Wind that would come up in the afternoon....it took us what seemed like several hours to get back to Flamingo ramp and then we were able to get up and run across the creeks to Islamorada.

DC

5 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

My buddy lives just across on the bay side from the Breezy at Mile Marker 90, I've done that run with him about a dozen times over the years...

There is NOTHING LIKE COMING AROUND THE CORNER OF EAST CAPE, WHEN YOU LEFT AT 0530 DEAD CALM, AND YOU FIND A 15-20MPH EAST WIND....

Can you say beating of your life :)

We can around it and it was blown' easily 20mph, and he plowed the bow into a 3-4 swell, broke the trolling motor, 6" of water in the deck, and he looked at me and I told him, I told you about the East Wind that would come up in the afternoon....it took us what seemed like several hours to get back to Flamingo ramp and then we were able to get up and run across the creeks to Islamorada.

DC

That sounds miserable. We waited and waited and waited for what seemed like forever to get the perfect weather window. This was the first calm day with a minimal chance of afternoon storms. We ran the outside along Snipes Key up to Contents and then cut across. Would be a LONG ride if the weather kicked up!! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 8:32 PM, Seacraft06 said:

Can you say beating of your life :)

DC

That sounds miserable. We waited and waited and waited for what seemed like forever to get the perfect weather window. This was the first calm day with a minimal chance of afternoon storms. We ran the outside along Snipes Key up to Contents and then cut across. Would be a LONG ride if the weather kicked up!! 

Best way to learn.

• 1 month later...