Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Miss Jazzy

Loose console

Recommended Posts

Well I finally got my boat back after 6 weeks of getting a custom T top built. Waited 3 weeks for the canvas😤 But non the less it turned out great. The installers noticed the console was loose after the install. I know this has been a problem on older Pathys but I can’t remember the exact fix. Maybe going under the inspection plate and replacing screws with bolts? Got to get it seen about before it gets worse, now with the t top it will be under a lot more stress. 

 

 

 

 

500335D1-B6B5-4FDB-9D51-7D7A8D084A59.jpeg

297CD317-4FDE-437B-8EE6-026F08BB90BD.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not familiar with that model. Is there an inspection plate in the floor of the console? It so, you should be able to see how the console is attached to the floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that fix. Just using 5200 on and around the screws is also a great ideal. Strong hold and let the water out and could be removed if needed in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 9:27 PM, D-linesider said:

On the older ones people would Fiberglas them down as I recall.

Correct.  The best fix is glassing it down from the inside.  Larger screws will eventually waller out and loosen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know glassing would be the best fix but for me I don’t see that happening. I just totally redone the inside of my console and I’m not taking all that back out right now. Besides I live in an area witch there is nowhere around that I would trust to do the fiberglass work properly. I’ll try the easy fix and if that doesn’t help then I’ll have to look for a glass guy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at your t top design it uses the console as a support for two of your legs. With that in mind I would glass the console in place. The torque from the top will loosen any screw that you use.. The glass job is not complicated as you only need to tab it not completely glass it in. Just remember not to glass to gellcoat. Always sand the gelcoat to good glass before applying the fiberglass,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2020 at 3:21 PM, jh141 said:

Just using 5200 on and around the screws is also a great ideal. Strong hold and let the water out and could be removed if needed in the future

  Tell that to my neighbor who bought my old Mako, he had the replace the gas tank. Needless to say I was generous with the 5200 but I think he's still cussing me after 15 years!:P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smilemaker said:

Looking at your t top design it uses the console as a support for two of your legs. With that in mind I would glass the console in place. The torque from the top will loosen any screw that you use.. The glass job is not complicated as you only need to tab it not completely glass it in. Just remember not to glass to gellcoat. Always sand the gelcoat to good glass before applying the fiberglass,

Yes I understand the stress will be greater but I owned a previous ’02 that also had a T top and I never had an issue with the console and it was not glassed in. It too was attached the same way as this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2020 at 2:49 PM, Miss Jazzy said:

Found this on THT. I have the exact console. Looks to be the best fix for me is to replace the screws with larger ones and bed in 5200.  I’ll most likely add a few to each side as well. 
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/955115-center-console-coming-loose-2000-pathfinder-2200v.html

I just read this thread and it is fantastic. I would do this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me that the raised part attached to the floor is just fiberglass. I would be concerned that screws would eventually wallow out and you will be in the same situation.  What if you put some backing underneath the fiberglass lip. You could use 1" square aluminum tubing and then thru bolt. It would be more work, but you would never have a bolt back out or wallow out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally got the time to do some better inspecting of the problem. The console is not screwed to the lip it’s bolted with lock nuts. Which is going to make replacing those bolts toward the front impossible or to tighten. Won’t be able to get to them to get a hold of the nuts. My plan is to take out the ones I can get to. Pick up the console as far as I can and brace it up. Clean all the old caulk out and clean with acetone. Put a bead of 5200 under it and sit it back down. Bed the bolts with 5200 and replace. Then drill and add screws bedded in 5200 in between all bolts.  Should get 10 in. Then seal the bottom of console inside and out with 5200 as far as I can reach. Finally I’ll add a couple pieces of aluminum angle to each side(inside) witch will be bolted to the console and to the floor. This way if for any reason you need to remove the console it won’t be so difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...