Loose console

Miss Jazzy

Well I finally got my boat back after 6 weeks of getting a custom T top built. Waited 3 weeks for the canvas😤 But non the less it turned out great. The installers noticed the console was loose after the install. I know this has been a problem on older Pathys but I can’t remember the exact fix. Maybe going under the inspection plate and replacing screws with bolts? Got to get it seen about before it gets worse, now with the t top it will be under a lot more stress. 

500335D1-B6B5-4FDB-9D51-7D7A8D084A59.jpeg

297CD317-4FDE-437B-8EE6-026F08BB90BD.jpeg

I know glassing would be the best fix but for me I don’t see that happening. I just totally redone the inside of my console and I’m not taking all that back out right now. Besides I live in an area witch there is nowhere around that I would trust to do the fiberglass work properly. I’ll try the easy fix and if that doesn’t help then I’ll have to look for a glass guy.  

Looking at your t top design it uses the console as a support for two of your legs. With that in mind I would glass the console in place. The torque from the top will loosen any screw that you use.. The glass job is not complicated as you only need to tab it not completely glass it in. Just remember not to glass to gellcoat. Always sand the gelcoat to good glass before applying the fiberglass,

On 8/2/2020 at 3:21 PM, jh141 said:

Just using 5200 on and around the screws is also a great ideal. Strong hold and let the water out and could be removed if needed in the future

Tell that to my neighbor who bought my old Mako, he had the replace the gas tank. Needless to say I was generous with the 5200 but I think he's still cussing me after 15 years!:P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smilemaker said:

Looking at your t top design it uses the console as a support for two of your legs. With that in mind I would glass the console in place. The torque from the top will loosen any screw that you use.. The glass job is not complicated as you only need to tab it not completely glass it in. Just remember not to glass to gellcoat. Always sand the gelcoat to good glass before applying the fiberglass,

Yes I understand the stress will be greater but I owned a previous ’02 that also had a T top and I never had an issue with the console and it was not glassed in. It too was attached the same way as this one. 

On 8/2/2020 at 2:49 PM, Miss Jazzy said:

Found this on THT. I have the exact console. Looks to be the best fix for me is to replace the screws with larger ones and bed in 5200.  I’ll most likely add a few to each side as well. 
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/955115-center-console-coming-loose-2000-pathfinder-2200v.html

I just read this thread and it is fantastic. I would do this.

• Like 1

Seems to me that the raised part attached to the floor is just fiberglass. I would be concerned that screws would eventually wallow out and you will be in the same situation.  What if you put some backing underneath the fiberglass lip. You could use 1" square aluminum tubing and then thru bolt. It would be more work, but you would never have a bolt back out or wallow out.

• Like 1

I finally got the time to do some better inspecting of the problem. The console is not screwed to the lip it’s bolted with lock nuts. Which is going to make replacing those bolts toward the front impossible or to tighten. Won’t be able to get to them to get a hold of the nuts. My plan is to take out the ones I can get to. Pick up the console as far as I can and brace it up. Clean all the old caulk out and clean with acetone. Put a bead of 5200 under it and sit it back down. Bed the bolts with 5200 and replace. Then drill and add screws bedded in 5200 in between all bolts.  Should get 10 in. Then seal the bottom of console inside and out with 5200 as far as I can reach. Finally I’ll add a couple pieces of aluminum angle to each side(inside) witch will be bolted to the console and to the floor. This way if for any reason you need to remove the console it won’t be so difficult.