Something pooping on my boat!

quest4reds

I store my boat in my back yard under a heavy duty custom cover.  After every outing the boat gets a bath, allowed to dry, then the cover goes on with hatches open either fully or held open with tennis balls.  When I remove the cover for my next outing, I always find small dark brown or black streaks in various locations on the deck, gunnels, hatch lids, etc.  I googled to try to figure out what it might be and it appears that what I am seeing is spider poop.  Makes sense with the size and locations of the markings appearing sometimes on the deck but many times on vertical surfaces which would indicate something that can climb on smooth surfaces.  The picture attached is the underside of one of my hatch lids that was in the open / vertical position, you can see two small blackish streaks (poop).

There was at one time something larger that got on the boat and peed as well (has happened only once so far).  Based on the size, quantity and location of the dried pee, I'd guess it would have been a rat or perhaps a squirrel that climbed up under the cover and wandered around the boat in search of who knows what.  The pee was not accompanied by any droppings thankfully.

So I am looking for solutions so that I'm not cleaning poop or other pest waste from my boat every time I remove the cover.  My first thought is some glue traps, but open to any suggestions to stop the mess.  I can't be the only one seeing this type of thing right?

spider_poop.png

Not sure what area of the country you are in but, I get those and its lizards, especially when the pop trail has a white spot on the end. We now have larger lizards with a curl in their tail. We fondly call them dinosaurs.

I have never found anything to repel them and do not want to kill them. Anything that kills and eats flying and biting insects is welcome on my property. 

You could try something lemon grassy. I have been told lemon grass scent repels very small critters. 

Thanks for all the feedback.  FYI, I live just south of Fort Bragg NC.  So I originally thought roach poo but I have a plethora of them in my back shed and they are small bead-like deposits.  I definitely know we have skinks and Anoles here which could be the lizard type culprits.  We also have the occasional tree frog, but they are fairly rare around here.   And I have never seen any white with the deposits.  After looking at pictures and speaking with a local lizard connoisseur, my 15 YO son who has owned anoles, tree frogs, and now has a fancy leopard gheko, I'm thinking the marks I am seeing are not from these type of animals.  I also checked The Hull Truth for similar issues and bee poo was one possible answer, but it said they leave an orange stain which I am not seeing, nor would I think that many bees would be getting under my cover.  I am still leaning towards spider poo as it is always flat and always seems to streak indicating to me that it is a mostly liquid deposit, which would make sense considering a spider's diet consists of the pre-digested insides of insects mostly.  That being said, Shallowminded6 said that spider poo was difficult to remove, but the marks on my boat wipe off fairly easily with water and/or windex multi-surface cleaner and a paper towel or rag and they don't appear to stain thankfully.

I do not want to kill a bunch of lizards or frogs, I appreciate any animal that reduces the insect population, but if that's what is making the marks they are gonna have to go.  If I went the glue trap route, I would be able to tell what it might be from looking at the creatures trapped in the glue, then I could address the most likely culprit more aggressively with something made to kill or deter whatever it is from coming and going on the boat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, quest4reds said:

Thanks for all the feedback.  FYI, I live just south of Fort Bragg NC.  So I originally thought roach poo but I have a plethora of them in my back shed and they are small bead-like deposits.  I definitely know we have skinks and Anoles here which could be the lizard type culprits.  We also have the occasional tree frog, but they are fairly rare around here.   And I have never seen any white with the deposits.  After looking at pictures and speaking with a local lizard connoisseur, my 15 YO son who has owned anoles, tree frogs, and now has a fancy leopard gheko, I'm thinking the marks I am seeing are not from these type of animals.  I also checked The Hull Truth for similar issues and bee poo was one possible answer, but it said they leave an orange stain which I am not seeing, nor would I think that many bees would be getting under my cover.  I am still leaning towards spider poo as it is always flat and always seems to streak indicating to me that it is a mostly liquid deposit, which would make sense considering a spider's diet consists of the pre-digested insides of insects mostly.  That being said, Shallowminded6 said that spider poo was difficult to remove, but the marks on my boat wipe off fairly easily with water and/or windex multi-surface cleaner and a paper towel or rag and they don't appear to stain thankfully.

I do not want to kill a bunch of lizards or frogs, I appreciate any animal that reduces the insect population, but if that's what is making the marks they are gonna have to go.  If I went the glue trap route, I would be able to tell what it might be from looking at the creatures trapped in the glue, then I could address the most likely culprit more aggressively with something made to kill or deter whatever it is from coming and going on the boat.

Mine was getting into the nonskid, maybe that made it harder to get out? That spray I posted shouldnt effect the lizzards etc. i still have a ton of them frogs and geckos at the house. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quest4reds said:

Sorry,  you crap in my boat no matter the critter your toast. To include, with or without legs, wings or tails.

Biffen insecticide is the answer.

Collateral damage is of no concern when the critters start damaging my property. I will dope the place until birds fall out of the sky just doing a fly over.

How about that for a response?😯

To be honest, your not gonna stop them being reasonable. I spray in limited amounts all around my place. Keep everything as clean as I can but bugs are bugs. I spray all the areas around my boat shed hard. The rest of the place " 2 acres" is full of all kinds of stuff but they don't go near the boat.

I am still willing to bet your pics are from lizard poop.

• Like 3